Cure Dolly 「Discussion and Practice Sentences」

This being said in the context of this thread really confuses me. Have you seen the videos this thread is based around?

The reason I wrote this is because が is often introduced together with は and が has so many other uses that the overlap with は is very very small.

If you think of は being a topic marker and が being a special particle, you won’t try to mix them, I think :slight_smile: .

Cure Dolly introduces が first as be key structure of Japanese sentences, always there, just sometimes invisible (zero が.) So aa I understand it, が marks the subject of the sentence, the noun that is doing or being something. は in comparison, is for emphasis, and marks the topic, not necessarily the subject. は doesn’t change the meaning of the sentence, only adds emphasis.

1 Like

Does に still work in 犬は彼に本を買う ? The direction being to him?

Yes, sorry, it took me a while to understand the sentence, because it’s abstract :sweat_smile:

You can also move the things around like this:
犬は本を彼に買う.

Both work, because に can be used in relation to people, too.

1 Like

Haha yeah sorry, I just got tried of only having 私 as a subject so I swapped it out last minute. I probably could have used 子 or 人 instead though.

New question, does に require there to be a を also?

No, these two don’t ever work together.
に、で and へ can go with は or も, but を can only be replaced by は、も or が.

I didn’t exactly mean replaced, I meant, can there be something marked by に like to Japan, without something marked by を.
Uhh like 私は日本に行きます. Or would it default to 私は日本を行きます.

Of course :slight_smile: . を is not needed in a sentence at all. It’s only required when it emphasizes that the action is perform on something specifically.

If you say something like this, you’re emphasizing that you’re using “Japan” in the process of traveling and that doesn’t work, because traveling is done in a direction (に) or by means of something (で).

1 Like

Thank you do much for taking the time to correct me and explain!

I feel like I have a much better grasp on the content I learned yesterday…which means I’m ready to move to new stuff today. Yikes. I was hoping to do one video a day but working towards comprehension takes longer than one day I may have to slow down.

1 Like

I just double checked my goals and I am not quite there…hmm.

I’m struggling with this point so I’m editing this to try and talk through it. A sentence that has both が and は without が being invisible would have to have emphasis on a topic other than the subject of the sentence. But I’m having a real hard time thinking of an example.

I think you can totally go ahead and continue. The different uses of the particles will eventually become clearer the more different sentences you encounter so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

The は vs が explanation from Cure Dolly is actually very good and the best I’ve seen so far. I probably wouldn’t concentrate on the “zero が” thing too much, though. The only problem I often see with は vs が is that depending on which you use, it may change the meaning of the sentence slightly and goes beyond the usual “は is more for emphasis”. The contexts in which I would personally use が more often are:

• I look at a picture and it’s clear who I’m talking about (the topic is obvious)
  • I’m making a general statement which doesn’t require establishing a topic
  • I’m trying to emphasize that a particular X is some Y (again, explicit topic is not needed, because X is either known or not relevant to the context)
3 Likes

What do you think that sentence means?

Hopefully that explains?

I see. I didn’t see the first post with it.

A favorite of mine is talking about animals and their distinct features, such as an elephant’s nose being long, and a giraffe’s neck being long. In these cases, the が-marked subject is the thing being described (the nose and the neck).

5 Likes

猫は尾がもふもふでしょう。

Thanks so much for the tip! I think I was trying too hard to come up with a verb ending sentence with both は and が.

I think in cases like this it might be a good idea to think of は as a soft marker and the が as the actual subject marker so:
XはYがZ
X has a Z Y
In English this would be equivalent to X “having” or “possessing” Y of certain quality Z.

あかねさんは目が大きい。
Akane has big eyes.

There is a different grammar structure with the same nuance, which makes the “having” point even clearer.

3 Likes

That sounds like another way to put how I was thinking of it ^^

I appreciate you using vocab I’m familiar with here, I’m guessing you knew from my WK level?

Edit: I don’t see a correction so I’m guessing nothing was wrong with my sentence? :tada:

Actually, I didn’t think of that :sweat_smile: . I simply use simple examples, because it’s easier to relate to them, I think.

Yes, the sentence was correct. Regarding もふもふ, onomatopoeic expressions sometimes use Katakana to emphasize that the word is more of a sound than an actual word. So when you touch the tail of a cat, iimagine how モフモフ it is :smiley: .

1 Like