Could you translate '相変わらず' to mean 'Same as it ever was'?

If you were making a Japanese version of the song ‘Once in a Lifetime’ would you use that phrase?
Thank you <3

日が流れて
Letting the days go by
水に押さえられて
Let the water hold me down
日が流れて
Letting the days go by
地下にも流れて
Water flowing underground
金無くすと自分もなくなる
Into the blue again after th money’s gone (Couldn’t think of a good translation for this one)
一生に一度
Once in a lifetime
地下に流れて
Water flowing underground

相変わらず
Same as it ever was

I would secretly love ゲスの極み乙女 (Gesu no Kiwami Otome) to do a cover of this banger because they remind me of Talking Heads lol

7 Likes

I don’t see why not. Especially in song lyrics you can take a bunch of artistic libery, and the basic idea of 相変わらず (as I understand it) is that something doesn’t change relative to before, and before could very well be always.

Not sure I’d often translate it like that in normal prose but in normal prose you’re not trying to match a specific number of syllables/a specific meter.

3 Likes

This thread is a tumbler, and was born under punches

But yes, you can

2 Likes
3 Likes

I pulled the trigger too fast on this one lol

The song came to my mind when I read the title and instantly wanted to share the video. BUT here we are, you were doing this the whole time. lol

2 Likes

Hah, you lost your shape trying to act casual

3 Likes

Some of you people ( on the Wanikani forum) just about missed it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.