Could someone explain to me this mnemonic story?

This mnemonic for the Kanji 績 is beyond my English comprehension ability :hear_no_evil:

edit: I would really appreciate if somebody can share a better way to remember this kanji, really Or maybe just making a thread about this kanji will make me remember it lol

1 Like

Yeah, the phrasing in that one is downright clunky. (At the very least, there should be a comma after “thread”.)

To start with, “exploit” means “a bold or daring feat” - the kanji also means “achievement”.

Koichi’s mnemonic is “Your past exploits are a result of your poor judgement, so you take a piece of thread and tie it around your finger”

3 Likes

Wait Exploit doesnt mean exploitation? Damnit, I’ve been thinking of the wrong thing all the time lol

4 Likes

I have that problem all the time. They teach a kanji using a word that has a few common homonyms, and it can be tricky figuring out which one it is. I’m still trying to figure out if 準 means “standard” as in something that you use as a point of reference for a norm or “standard” as in a flag you carry into battle or plant in the ground. The mnemonics use it as the latter but its associated vocab words use it as the former which makes me think the mnemonic is just being misleading.

2 Likes

Ok. So here is my best go. It requires a bit of imagination and some radical switching. Chunk it into master, thread, and clam/shellfish.

In order to become the master of the clams, you must do some seriously amazing exploits (deeds). These include the exploit of using this thread to tie up all the clams in the world and using the thread in devious ways to convince the clams to serve you. Sure your exploits are a bit exploitative (different meaning but it will help it stick), but you actually want to help the clams by becoming their master, which is why all these exploits with string are necessary.

Yeah I think using a different meaning is fine if it is more memorable and you remember that it’s not the real meaning!

I don’t like mnemonics that are too abstract - i.e. “blaming exploits + taking a piece of string…”. I’d much rather one that had me blaming the piece of string (maybe it enslaved+exploited people) or the string blaming me!

Aye. And then there’s the ones where the mnemonic is basically just a list of the components, with the actual meaning tacked on the end.To give an example I learnt recently, the mnemonic for 舎 (cottage) is “There is a hat on top of the grave in your mouth next to the cottage”. How on earth is “cottage” related to a hat-grave-mouth? Maybe for this one you can ignore the component names and point out that it just plain looks like a cottage. You’ve got a roof, and a gable, and a door.

3 Likes

Oh and dont get me started on old items that I would now interpret differently.

I dont know the word anymore but it has the “gravity” radical https://www.wanikani.com/radicals/gravity.

However because the word got taught before you learned the radical, it consists of “wing+sun”, which caused me to be confused on the burn review and forced me to relearn the word :frowning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.