Context sentences for kanji should have furigana

Is there a context sentence that uses 屁 in kanji?

1 Like

They use the vocab but not the kanji. I just did this lesson like 2 hours ago.

改正

市民団体は、公共の場でおならを禁止する法律の改正を求めた。

悲しい文章を読むと、いつも涙が二分二十秒だけ止まらない。

Whenever I read a sad story I can’t stop crying for exactly two minutes and twenty seconds.

Or the whole sentence… Gotta love having Level 44 kanji in level 2 vocab. Trying to give context to one word while using a larger word is idiosyncratic since it obtrusively obstructs the point of origin and instead redundantly redirects the reader’s attention to the larger word.

Ok, I’m too tired for this… My point is that you automatically try to figure out what a large word means by looking for context, but if the point of the sentence is [remembers that the sentences are translated, so you don’t need to figure out the meaning]… That moment when you realize that you make no sense… It’s distracting! That’s the one!

I feel like I’m playing that lowering intelligence game with my self at this point… And no, I have no filter… Whatever, I’m done. Good night (unless it’s not night there…) Sorry…

I feel like I’m repeating myself a bunch, but that’s the second example sentence. It’s the extra one for fun, to be more interesting than the bland one that is meant to be easy to read.

はやく文をよんでください。

That’s the context sentence for people who are genuinely level 2. From it, I’m sure you determined that this word meaning “sentence” doesn’t mean “prison sentence” or something. Which is what it’s meant to do.

I don’t see what the issue is.

But whatever.

EDIT: And no, it’s not night. It’s 1:00pm. But I would like to go to sleep.

I agree that it doesn’t really matter much. I kind of cared in the beginning, but after a few months I would just understand what I could and move on.

Many, for example https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/推薦

あなたを、優秀な屁こき野郎として、屁こき大会に推薦しておきましたよ。
I recommended you as a good farter for the fart competition.

痔 also troubles me a little, but it is in the second example sentence. https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/八日

Eh, the first sentence is indeed easier and only uses kanji in words that you have already learned (!) The other words are written using hiragana. The second sentence is for when you know more Japanese and go back to review the kanji. In short, no, the sentences should not have furigana, especially the first one.

furigana: I’m on the fence. When I was on the early levels, I remember feeling most of the context sentences were useless, because (one) I could not read them and (two) the meaning or any of the alternate meanings of the vocab, were nowhere to be found in the english translation of the context sentence, quite often (dare I say most of the time?).

I started wanikani with no prior knowledge of japanese other than what I’ve coincidently learned from anime I’ve watched and the various forms of budo I’ve practised 20+ years ago (and no japanese exposure in between). While I recognise that wanikani is for learning kanji and the rest of the language, you’re supposed to learn elsewhere, I don’t think I’m alone in this category. So I think context sentences catering to “my kind” in the early levels would be good. But I don’t reeeaaaly care. Even if you ignore the context sentences you’ll be fine.

As for the furigana: if wanikani haven’t taught me the vocab, then I don’t usually know it - so furigana wouldn’t help. If wanikani have already taught it then… well, I should know it and I don’t want the furigana. There’s probably a way to make the context sentences better, but I can see why tofugu would prioritise other things. But I can definitely relate to early level wanikani users frustration with the context sentences. Not even a year ago I was one of them.

1 Like

Meh, I just stopped paying attention to the example sentences. I am studying grammar at the same time, but it’s just Genki I, and I don’t have enough time to go very quickly. So they are totally useless for me.

I just voted yes, but to be honest I think it’s fine the way it is. I barely ever read the context sentences anyway, but for those who do I feel like it would be easy to write a userscript or something for this. Maybe there are browser extensions?

There are browser addins this was more in line with mobile users such as myself where third party addins aren’t an option.

1 Like

I’m a yes on this one, but it’s not a strongly held opinion. I don’t read the Japanese context sentences much, so I wouldn’t get much use out of them. That said, I don’t read the Japanese context sentences much because, uh, I can’t read some of the kanji in them yet.

But I mostly use the context sentences when I’m not 100% clear on which English definition is intended for a word that has a lot of meanings (or homonyms), so I’m reading the English translation of the context sentence and ignoring the Japanese, more often than not.

Yo. The example sentences having furigana isn’t about being able to understand them. It’s about reading them to yourself. Pronunciation/Speaking/Reading/Whatever you call it.

1 Like

Voted yes, but I think the furigana should be an option you can change in the settings or even on the fly with a button.

Ideally the furigana would be dynamic based on the kanji the user has learned. This would mean that the furigana could change if you review an earlier sentence after unlocking more kanji.

1 Like

I would also say Yes to an adaptive furigana system similar to Satori Reader (Though using furigana rather than replacing the whole kanji with hiragana).

It seems a lot of people don’t use the example sentences, which is no surprise since the site trains us from early levels that these sentences are too hard for us. I’m now roughly a third of the way through WK and a good portion of the example sentences are still very difficult for me.

The whole reason why furigana even exists is to aid Japanese children “read” kanji that they likely wouldn’t know. Japanese (or rather kanji) isn’t like Latin languages where you can just sound out words you don’t know and maybe you recognize it from the sound. If you don’t know a kanji, you don’t know a kanji. RIP. Game over. I can only imagine having a Japanese kid running around trying to read random things, only to hit a kanji s/he doesn’t know and starts crying. (That would totally be little kid me if I was Japanese…) So why shouldn’t we have furigana for kanji 10 levels above us? Also, I feel really sorry for Chinese kids. A language made up of purely kanji with no sound based alphabet? [shudders]

But now that I think about… The PC version has userscripts, and the mobile app isn’t even run by the actual WK admins, so it’s kinda on the users that run the app to add this.

And sorry again about last night, I had a little too much お茶. XD Ok, I’ll shut up now…

That’s not entirely true. A lot of kanji have phonetic components in them, such that you guess with pretty good accuracy on lots of kanji you haven’t learned yet. Understanding the meaning is another matter, of course.

祖租狙阻姐岨粗

Those all have an onyomi of そ

胞砲泡抱鞄

Those all have an onyomi of ほう

There are plenty more examples.

Obviously it’s not a guaranteed thing, but once you know a lot of kanji you can guess right more often than I think most beginners would expect.

That’s pretty cool, but that still doesn’t help elementary school students that can barely tell their "nichi"s from their "tsuki"s.

I legitimately kind of don’t think they should. The goal of Wanikani is to eventually read text in the wild without furigana. That you’re likely unable to read the entirety of the example sentences on your own keeps you focused on the grammar and usage – how the word is placed, what particles and tenses surround it, and what the translation is – rather than the meaning of the specific example.

And then it rewards you steadily by allowing you to decipher more of the example sentences more often. And that’s cool. Furigana would take that away.

If you’re ever absolutely dying to know the pronunciation of the whole sentence, you can always paste it into jisho.org.