Connecting two verbs with the purpose structure

Hello! I was wondering if anybody here would be willing to sort out a doubt I have.
So I’m in chapter 7 in Genki I, and I was practising how to use the structure of going somewhere to do something (purpose). Like this (Sorry, I do not know how to put furigana! But the kanji is fairly simple.):

明日、デパートに傘を買いに行きます。

Then, I simply asked myself if I could connect two actions with the て form and use the purpose structure.
As in “I will go to X place to do do Y and Z.”
Could it look something like this?

来週、僕は友達の家に勉強して、ゲームしに行きます。(What I thought here is that I need the Te form to connect the other half of the sentence, and then I used the stem verb for the purpose structure. As far as I’m concerned, when using Te forms, the part which comes after the Te form determines the prior one.)
Did I mess it up big time? Am I trying to bite more than I can chew? Please, help! Thank you in advance!

You mean the ゲームをしに行きます? From what I got, Genki says I have to use the stem verb in this pattern. It would be like (place) + (に) + purpose aka clause with verbs in their stem verb form + に + 行きます/帰ります/来ます
So する=します=し. But I am not sure. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Nono, @athomasm wasn’t commenting on your conjugation, but rather the non-use of を. While you can often directly connect a noun to する to make a single compound verb, ゲーム is not one of those - you need to use を.

(Mind you, the を might still be dropped in casual speech. Particles often are.)

3 Likes

It looks not okay to me, since the て form connects the first clause to the second one, so 勉強する gets connected to 行きます…

In this specific case, I would connect the two nouns together with と or がてら (but that one might be a bit advanced).

2 Likes

Oh I forgot it. Thank you!

Could you please give me an example with と?

来週、僕は友達の家に勉強とゲームをしに行きます。

3 Likes

What would you do if they weren’t both する verbs? Say you went over to study and eat dinner.

1 Like

Oh, alright! So is it acceptable to use する with both nouns here. Is it because 勉強 allows it to be conjugated with it and ゲーム goes with する?
Would this be possible with two different actions like, as in “I am going to my friend’s house to write a letter an study”

Oops Sorry I answered you. But you voiced my thoughts

I agree on this point that it sounds really off. Tossed the sentence around to other Japanese speakers I know and the sentiment was pretty much unanimous. We also all agreed that without the context (knowing what they originally wanted to convey), we would’ve read it as being more sequential.

がてら has more of an uncertain nuance to it and probably doesn’t work here contextually. Like “I’m going to my friend’s house to study and maybe play games”.

Not sure if you’re already past this point in Genki, but there’s another construction you can use: 「~たり~たりする」.

来週、僕は友達の家に勉強したり、ゲームをしに行きます。

Here’s a little blurb that I Googled to explain so I wouldn’t have to.

3 Likes

I disagree slightly on the “uncertain”. It’s more like games aren’t the main purpose. I feel like that’s exactly the kind of nuance I would want in the current situation, but maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

I guess “uncertain” is the wrong word to use here. The way I read がてら is sort of like an incidental thing, like I intended to do this one thing, but [had the opportunity and] ended up also doing something else in the middle of doing the first thing.

I’m reading the OP’s sentence as fully intending to do both activities at the destination from the start (with equal importance), rather than showing up with the main intention of studying, but because the opportunity arose during their stay, they also played games. So sort of like what you said :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m finishing chapter 7 in the workbook. I should be starting chapter 8 soon, so maybe I’ll see that new construction.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.