Confusing Mnemonics and Leeches Help Thread

Okay, tiny update for anyone curious, I settled on using similar wording to the existing mnemonic:

植える
You decided to plant an umbrella (う) tree in your backyard. That’s right, you can plant umbrellas and they’ll grow like fruit on a tree. This tree will provide a lot of shelter from the rain!

5 Likes

You know you’ve been on WK too long when: you unlock 揃, look at the parts and peek at the meaning, and know exactly what the mnemonic is going to be. (I imagine it would have been explained in way more vivid detail years ago)

6 Likes

Hah, yeah, just looked it up. Wanikani has a habit of injuring you a lot.

3 Likes

This is one very useful thread! I’m on the lookout for a better mnemonic to remember the meaning of 夢中. “Crazy about”.

Even in the middle of your dream you’re thinking about your body pillows. You’re crazy about them, wrapped in absorption.

I’m confused by that sentence, and have so far failed to come up with an alternative that sticks. For some reason my brain is associating this with ‘hallucination’, perhaps because it came up a few times in reviews together with 幻覚 (another leech :sweat_smile:)?! Grateful for any suggestions.

1 Like

I can see how you might confuse those with each other since and hallucination is like a waking dream and the mnemonic for 幻覚 is
An illusion you have when you’re awake is a hallucination.
and a dream is also an illusion (some dictionaries use illusion as one of the meanings of 夢)

So how do we separate those two and find a better mnemonic for 夢中 since you’re not crazy about Wanikanis suggestion.

you know how in the middle of a dream you sometimes go frantic an run away form someone? I’m not crazy about those dreams, my brain absorption in it is crazy.

2 Likes

I actually had a problem with this mnemonic too. My solution was pretty much this:

You’re so crazy about ____ that it (or they) even comes up in the middle of your dreams.

I guess the idea is you’re so enthusiastic or passionate about something that you even dream about it. Maybe you can find something to put in the blank that works for you?

3 Likes

Excellent suggestions! I think the nightmare vision in the middle of a dream combined with the obsessive idea ( memorize those kanjis!) will trigger the right response. Thank you :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sounds good! No problem.

2 Likes

Haven’t been doing many reviews for the last few weeks because I’ve been pretty busy, so I’ve been kind of quiet here, but I’m back now lol, tackling my big review pile…

So I mentioned before that える gets me. Well I’m pretty sure I mix it up with える. I guess because they just mean such similar things (to plant and to grow), and I’ve gotten them wrong so many times that they have just blurred and I’m constantly mixing up their readings too.

I don’t have a huge problem with the 生える mnemonic… I think it’s kind of cute to imaging a plant sprouting out of the ground saying “ha!”. I think 植える is still shaky for me though. And it is a problem that I mix them up.

So, yeah… These guys have been leeches for me for ages and I need some kind of solution to fix that if anyone has some thoughts.

1 Like

You’re right they’re similar concepts. So let’s go back to the ()える umbrella. It’s just a normal umbrella that you’re planting - it’s not alive(生). After your plant grows a bit (()える) it’s alive and has the ability to talk and can say “ha!” when it’s ready. But it has to grow first - umbrellas are to be planted because they haven’t grown mouths yet. Like the difference between seeds and flowers.

2 Likes

Which part do you still mix up? the meaning or the reading?
One is intransitive it just Happens. える to grow

the other is transitive
you plant an ume tree の木.

える to plant something.
Plum trees are real, but guess what - Umbrella trees are also real.
Who knew there was an actual tree called an umbrella tree.

3 Likes

Yeah, good suggestion. Hopefully linking their mnemonics won’t confuse things further but hopefully that should give some way to distinguish between them. Just have to remember the うmbrella is not alive, so it couldn’t possibly be the reading for 生える.

2 Likes

Honestly I think I mix up both. I don’t always remember when a word is intransitive or transitive just from looking at it. I think there are maybe sometimes patterns I notice but I don’t think they always hold up.

植 has only three vocabs on WK and only the verb uses う as a reading, while 生 has dozens of vocabs on WK and uses both う and は as readings out of the whole sevens it has on WK.
So, maybe as a last resort remembering that 植 has only three vocabs and a single Kun’yomi might help you solve one leech? It’s a bit of a reach but at this point you probably try anything to get rid of at least one of them…

1 Like

Yeah I think I’ll try potatodancer’s suggestion and see how that goes. I don’t think I really do well with mnemonics that puts the sound in the middle of a word, I think having the sound at the beginning of the word is more effective. But yeah I really hope to get rid of these leeches because they’ve been jamming my reviews for ages now.

2 Likes

Thought this might help others too: I will not forget the kanji for ‘small animal counter’ after watching this short clip by Kyota Ko

:rofl:

3 Likes

Wow that’s actually quite interesting haha, thanks for sharing

1 Like

Kind of wondering, since starting this thread, I’ve seen a bunch of smaller threads started about single items tripping people up. Would it be a good idea to post links to these threads as I notice them (other people could too obviously)? I’m thinking it might help centralise and connect these kind of threads, and by putting them into one place may make it easier for others to search and get help on them in future, plus it may raise awareness of this thread and let people know they can ask here if they would like to. I feel like other people can then see and benefit from solutions. Does that sound like a good idea?

4 Likes

The only way I can think of doing this successfully is to turn this thread into a wiki gather all the existing threads links and make it into an actual subcategory in the help section.
Maybe asking the mods about it, idk…

2 Likes

Hm maybe not then, I do think there is value in this being a place people can come and have a discussion without making a whole separate thread for just one question.

3 Likes