[Client App, Discontinued] WaniKani for Android

I was looking to fix a problem with Wanikani Mobile and noticed that current development is happening in Wanikani for Android.  However, the problem exists with WK for Android as well.

I have sideloaded WK for And on my Kindle Fire HD.  The Kindle is setup for Japanese IME via it's native support.  If I type an answer in romaji the keyboard always defaults to English character entry as WK expects.  However, when looking for an English keyword, the keyboard often defaults to romaji input, so I get Japanese characters when I don't want them.  It happens nearly always - it's not 100% though.  It forces needing to switch the input entry manually to English character entry for almost every English answer.  It's quite annoying.  Is it possible for the program to hard switch the character entry to English every time?  I'd rather not disable the Japanese IME since I use it frequently.

I'm quite excited to see active development according on this program - the look and feel is very nice.  I hope we can get some of the nice graphing incorporated from WK Mobile.

Thanks,

Larry

looki said... Haha, I saw the new version on github, immediately tried it out and thought to myself "this looks familiar."
I can't test the review order script because I've only got vocab reviews right now. Is it supposed to sort automatically, because I don't see a button, or is that one of those scripts not working yet? Apparently lesson order isn't ported either. Also I'm not sure how to test Mistake Delay, I've never used this script and it seems like it's virtually impossible to accidentally submit the vocab again with my phone. All other scripts seem to work fine!
  • After entering the API key, using the program for a while, going back to the main screen and pressing the back button brings you to the API key screen again.
  • The critical items list on the main screen lists all of them, and I have like 50. It's a pretty long list and it lags while scrolling, I think it should be limited with a "See more" like the recent unlocks.
  • Pressing the pencil button in the bottom right during lessons once caused an "invalid uri scheme" error. It doesn't happen anymore. Had I known that, I would have written down the exact error code, sorry.
  • Swiping up on the dashboard to reload freezes the phone for a second, although that't not a biggie it might be worth pointing out
  • I wasn't able to get vocab sound to work. It's not muted on the review screen, but it doesn't play.
The app is coming along really well. I'm glad to hear that you Alberto is helping you out.
Review Order & Lesson Order
 I'm not completely sure about the reviews order and lesson order features either. In fact, they didn't work for me. Or maybe I couldn't get them work (never used before, dunno how they work normally). I put them in the list as it was mentioned that reviews order was working when I gave out test apks. Thought maybe there is a way to get them working that i don't know...

Mistake Delay
Apparently, the Mistake Delay script works only with the enter key. If you are using the enter key to submit answers then this may come in useful... (It has no effect on the "next" button)

API Key screen appearing on back press from the main screen of the app
Never had the Login screen display when going back. Tried again just now and still no... I'll insert an "if user logged in" check statement just in case though.

Too many critical items
I wonder why I never thought of that. Probably because I never had that many criticals... Added to TO-DO.

Pencil button at the bottom-right corner in lessons causes UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME
I just tried and have the same issue here. I have an idea what is causing it. Will look into that too.

Swipe down in dashboard causes a freeze for a second (or extreme lag)
There is simply too much work done at once on a refresh in dashboard. I'm aware of this and know something has to be done. Put it really has lower priority for now...

No sound
Strange, I don't have any issues here.
lsh3rd said... I was looking to fix a problem with Wanikani Mobile and noticed that current development is happening in Wanikani for Android.  However, the problem exists with WK for Android as well. I have sideloaded WK for And on my Kindle Fire HD.  The Kindle is setup for Japanese IME via it's native support.  If I type an answer in romaji the keyboard always defaults to English character entry as WK expects.  However, when looking for an English keyword, the keyboard often defaults to romaji input, so I get Japanese characters when I don't want them.  It happens nearly always - it's not 100% though.  It forces needing to switch the input entry manually to English character entry for almost every English answer.  It's quite annoying.  Is it possible for the program to hard switch the character entry to English every time?  I'd rather not disable the Japanese IME since I use it frequently. I'm quite excited to see active development according on this program - the look and feel is very nice.  I hope we can get some of the nice graphing incorporated from WK Mobile. Thanks, Larry
 Um, I couldn't quite understand your point. Mind to elaborate a bit?

Looks boss - adding userscripts is a big step forward - thanks a lot!

xip said...
lsh3rd said... I was looking to fix a problem with Wanikani Mobile and noticed that current development is happening in Wanikani for Android.  However, the problem exists with WK for Android as well. I have sideloaded WK for And on my Kindle Fire HD.  The Kindle is setup for Japanese IME via it's native support.  If I type an answer in romaji the keyboard always defaults to English character entry as WK expects.  However, when looking for an English keyword, the keyboard often defaults to romaji input, so I get Japanese characters when I don't want them.  It happens nearly always - it's not 100% though.  It forces needing to switch the input entry manually to English character entry for almost every English answer.  It's quite annoying.  Is it possible for the program to hard switch the character entry to English every time?  I'd rather not disable the Japanese IME since I use it frequently. I'm quite excited to see active development according on this program - the look and feel is very nice.  I hope we can get some of the nice graphing incorporated from WK Mobile. Thanks, Larry

Perhaps some screen shots would help - hopefully you can see the links to my Photoshop account (I can't get Wanikani to attach these to save my life).

With Japanese IME enabled, the Kindle Fire HD keyboard allows entering characters in one of three modes instead of the two that are normally seen. We can see a button on the bottom left labeled "文字".  The button can be toggled between three modes, "あ", "A", and "1".  Wanikani (and subsequently your app) has support for romaji entry built in via English character entry, so users do not need necessarily need to install Japanese IME.  So, for example, when I need to answer a question in Japanese, the keyboard defaults to "A":

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/lsh3rd/Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-59-28.png

However, when the expected answer is English, the dialog box defaults to Japanese IME romaji input and the 文字 button now says "あ".  It requires manually switching to "A" nearly every time a question needs to be answered in English.  I think there must be a way to tell the dialog to default to "A" (for example when entering a URL - the Kindle always defaults to "A").  For example, below Wanikani wants an English response, but we can see the default entry mode is wrong:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/lsh3rd/Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-59-44.png 

Yes, it is easy to switch modes, but with the default wrong, it is a bit of a pain and prone to mistakes.

Thanks,

Larry

Okay, I’ll see if I can get sound to work.

Thank you for the update, I love it!
I really like how the keyboard now stays when pressing enter so it is easier to press enter again to continue instead of moving my finger to the next button.

Do you have any idea when you will implement notifications? Then I’ll be able to solely use this application for reviews. :slight_smile:

xip said... Hello, just published a new version. This update fixes the writing issues in reviews and brings some of the userscripts and features available in WK Mobile.

I've been talking with Alberto Cuda (developer of WK Mobile) during the past few days and we've agreed on porting most of the features available in WK Mobile to WK for Android. As of now, there's no specific list of features that are going to make it over, nor any schedule. 

As you will notice, the first things to come over are the internal browser -which is awesomely made- and the userscripts. Some of the scripts in WK Mobile are still not available in WK for Android though. The main reason is that they weren't really ready, one even didn't work. A second reason, I thought I'd publish the current state before I add those as it fixes some important issues with the review system and, I believe, the most useful scripts are already there.

Finally, I can't thank Alberto enough. Not only did he let me incorporate his code, he has also been helping me out with understanding an debugging his code. 
Speaking of WK Mobile, I'd like to request a feature that I asked for in that app but noticed wasn't ported here. That is, for a more practical mute button. Instead of reposting it exactly, I'll just direct link to his response to my request: /t/WaniKani-Mobile-End-of-Support/2134/472
It also seems that his latest release utilizes this feature as well, so maybe he'll have more insight into getting it to work. The beta version was reliable enough for me though.

Very nice looking and easy to use - but I miss my stats, so I’ll probably not use this until you add them

lsh3rd said...
xip said...
Perhaps some screen shots would help - hopefully you can see the links to my Photoshop account (I can't get Wanikani to attach these to save my life).
With Japanese IME enabled, the Kindle Fire HD keyboard allows entering characters in one of three modes instead of the two that are normally seen. We can see a button on the bottom left labeled "文字".  The button can be toggled between three modes, "あ", "A", and "1".  Wanikani (and subsequently your app) has support for romaji entry built in via English character entry, so users do not need necessarily need to install Japanese IME.  So, for example, when I need to answer a question in Japanese, the keyboard defaults to "A": http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/lsh3rd/Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-59-28.png
However, when the expected answer is English, the dialog box defaults to Japanese IME romaji input and the 文字 button now says "あ".  It requires manually switching to "A" nearly every time a question needs to be answered in English.  I think there must be a way to tell the dialog to default to "A" (for example when entering a URL - the Kindle always defaults to "A").  For example, below Wanikani wants an English response, but we can see the default entry mode is wrong: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/lsh3rd/Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-59-44.png 
Yes, it is easy to switch modes, but with the default wrong, it is a bit of a pain and prone to mistakes.
Thanks, Larry
 I understand. I will be noting this down. Though there are more important stuff I want to focus on right now, I'll be sure to see about this later on.

dejong12 said... Thank you for the update, I love it!
I really like how the keyboard now stays when pressing enter so it is easier to press enter again to continue instead of moving my finger to the next button.

Do you have any idea when you will implement notifications? Then I'll be able to solely use this application for reviews. :)
 There is no specific schedule but they will be there eventually.

Inserio said...
xip said... Hello, just published a new version. This update fixes the writing issues in reviews and brings some of the userscripts and features available in WK Mobile.

I've been talking with Alberto Cuda (developer of WK Mobile) during the past few days and we've agreed on porting most of the features available in WK Mobile to WK for Android. As of now, there's no specific list of features that are going to make it over, nor any schedule. 

As you will notice, the first things to come over are the internal browser -which is awesomely made- and the userscripts. Some of the scripts in WK Mobile are still not available in WK for Android though. The main reason is that they weren't really ready, one even didn't work. A second reason, I thought I'd publish the current state before I add those as it fixes some important issues with the review system and, I believe, the most useful scripts are already there.

Finally, I can't thank Alberto enough. Not only did he let me incorporate his code, he has also been helping me out with understanding an debugging his code. 
Speaking of WK Mobile, I'd like to request a feature that I asked for in that app but noticed wasn't ported here. That is, for a more practical mute button. Instead of reposting it exactly, I'll just direct link to his response to my request: /t/WaniKani-Mobile-End-of-Support/2134/472
It also seems that his latest release utilizes this feature as well, so maybe he'll have more insight into getting it to work. The beta version was reliable enough for me though.

Since I incorporated his latest code, I had this feature in as well. However, it didn't work for me so I disabled it (commented the code out) and switched to the old method for the time being.
 Did you have a chance to try this?
                https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification/issues/20#issuecomment-53995298
If this solves your issue, I'll merge it into one of the public branches of WKM, so that it can eventually be incorporated into WK for Android
s84606 said...
                https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification/issues/20#issuecomment-53995298
If this solves your issue, I'll merge it into one of the public branches of WKM, so that it can eventually be incorporated into WK for Android                

Alberto, the modifications in this version work perfectly.  I hope that we can see this eventually integrated into WK for Android, but I agree with Xip that it is probably low priority.

Thanks again,

Larry

lsh3rd said... Alberto, the modifications in this version work perfectly.  I hope that we can see this eventually integrated into WK for Android, but I agree with Xip that it is probably low priority.
Thanks again, Larry
 Great. The code is now on the (WKM) GitHub repository ("next" branch, "rel-1_15_6pre0" tag).

Hey !

I’ve installed this application yesterday on my tablet. It really is a great application, but I am having a little problem concerning my reviews. My tablet is an Asus transformer which has a dock. I can use the dock keyboard to write my answers without any problem except for the ENTER key. Which means that I have to write the word by keyboard but than have to touch the screen in order to validate my answer… You can guess that this is a bit annoying. I have no idea why the ENTER key doesn’t work. Is it linked to the application ? Is anyone experiencing the same issue ?

lsh3rd said...
s84606 said...
Alberto, the modifications in this version work perfectly.  I hope that we can see this eventually integrated into WK for Android, but I agree with Xip that it is probably low priority.
Thanks again, Larry 
s84606 said...
lsh3rd said... Alberto, the modifications in this version work perfectly.  I hope that we can see this eventually integrated into WK for Android, but I agree with Xip that it is probably low priority.
Thanks again, Larry
 Great. The code is now on the (WKM) GitHub repository ("next" branch, "rel-1_15_6pre0" tag).
I've seen the fix on github. I'll merge it into the code once I'm done with the things I'm working on right now. It should be there in the next release.

Neicisum said... Hey !

I've installed this application yesterday on my tablet. It really is a great application, but I am having a little problem concerning my reviews. My tablet is an Asus transformer which has a dock. I can use the dock keyboard to write my answers without any problem except for the ENTER key. Which means that I have to write the word by keyboard but than have to touch the screen in order to validate my answer.... You can guess that this is a bit annoying. I have no idea why the ENTER key doesn't work. Is it linked to the application ? Is anyone experiencing the same issue ?
 I have a guess to why this may be happening. Though I have my hands full with something else I'm working on (in WK for Android) I'll try to fix this for the next update. 
 I have a guess to why this may be happening. Though I have my hands full with something else I'm working on (in WK for Android) I'll try to fix this for the next update. 
 Thank you very much ! This sounds promising ! :)

Just started using this yesterday - fantastic little app! Great work. Are you accepting Paypal or Gittip donations?

I couldn’t tell from previous updates - are notification icon options (as previously in WK Mobile) coming to this app soon? I can live without them, of course, but I especially liked WK Mobile’s pinned icon with detailed information in the drop-down ‘drawer’ showing how many lessons/reviews I had queued up to get through.

Okay, just did a full set of reviews today. Here’s my impression.

First, the old app zoomed in the screen somehow to make things bigger. This was much more comfortable for cell review and right now the text is a bit small to read comfortably.

Second. I appreciate the warnings about hw acceleration and that I’m using override, but after the first time I click I understand I don’t want to be reminded at the next session that I’m a terrible person. Trust me, I know :slight_smile:

Third. Just seconding the poster above, the pinned notification from the old app would be nice to have back.

Fourth (not important request) it would be really awesome yo have some statistics like the iOS app, or the old app in this new one. For me, the most important one is the projection of level up time, so I can plan roughly when I’m going to need to do a learning session, rather than finishing a review and not being able to do learning because I don’t have time (efficiency is a big part of this activity to me)

Otherwise, I’m very happy with the android look and feel of this app, you have done a great job so far. Keep it up!

wohali said... Just started using this yesterday - fantastic little app! Great work. Are you accepting Paypal or Gittip donations?

I couldn't tell from previous updates - are notification icon options (as previously in WK Mobile) coming to this app soon? I can live without them, of course, but I especially liked WK Mobile's pinned icon with detailed information in the drop-down 'drawer' showing how many lessons/reviews I had queued up to get through.
Thanks but I don't really collect donations. As I mentioned earlier, notifications are a planned feature and should arrive eventually. 

Gizmotech said... Okay, just did a full set of reviews today. Here's my impression.

First, the old app zoomed in the screen somehow to make things bigger. This was much more comfortable for cell review and right now the text is a bit small to read comfortably.

Second. I appreciate the warnings about hw acceleration and that I’m using override, but after the first time I click I understand I don’t want to be reminded at the next session that I’m a terrible person. Trust me, I know :slight_smile:

Third. Just seconding the poster above, the pinned notification from the old app would be nice to have back.

Fourth (not important request) it would be really awesome yo have some statistics like the iOS app, or the old app in this new one. For me, the most important one is the projection of level up time, so I can plan roughly when I’m going to need to do a learning session, rather than finishing a review and not being able to do learning because I don’t have time (efficiency is a big part of this activity to me)

Otherwise, I’m very happy with the android look and feel of this app, you have done a great job so far. Keep it up!

Haha, well, to tell the truth, I know about them too and find them very annoying. Actually, they aren’t supposed to behave like that. For some odd reason though, the property indicating that they have been shown to the user once gets reset every time lessons/reviews screen is closed. I did hours of debugging and when I couldn’t figure out the cause, I decided I’d leave them the way they were until I felt the energy to work on them again…

It must be absolutely draining to have this amount of buzz about the app and the bugs. And work on it then by yourself, mainly.
Big hugs sent your way!!! You’re really something for taking this all on you! : )