[Client App, Discontinued] WaniKani for Android

Wow. Definitely looks a lot better than the other WK Android app. 

Am downloading now. Looks great!

Beautiful, nicely done…

I’m not an Android Developer,  but had a quick skim of your code… Nicely done, there are a lot of badly written app’s out there and I can see this is NOT one of them :slight_smile:

I’ve followed on github, look forward to seeing where this goes (even though I use iOS now).

頑張って!

Hello, I’m working on a few features and some seem to be working on my “free” (non-subscription) account I use for testing purposes but not on my main (this). I’d like to know if “it’s just me or everyone else”. I’m sure these kind of situations will come up in the future too. If there are any people who would like to try things for me and let me know how things go, I’d like to distribute testing apks to a few voluntary people.

Simply put, I need some testers for the new stuff I’m working on. If you are interested in trying out what’s there to come, please drop me a note. You can also email me at x.ihsan@gmail.com. Thanks.

This is puuuurdy.  Wish there was something like this for iPhone.

@xip: Just put the new code on GitHub and tell us what to test, I can build the code myself.

I’d prefer not to install the Android build tools for now, so count me in for some binaries!

I don’t really want to push the current code as it’s kinda messy. I’ll be posting an apk file soon.

You know, the thing I would most like to see is a reviews timeline. That’s what I really miss on my phone, the ability to see what’s coming up and plan accordingly.

Here is the test apk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cQ2gmHoiJgcEpDWGhPUnM3dVU

Things to test: 
  • Ignore Button
  • Single Button
  • WaniKani Improve
  • Review Order
  • Lesson Order
  • Part Of Speech (Probably won’t work right now)
  • Auto Popup
  • Mute Button

Thanks.

Helix said... You know, the thing I would most like to see is a reviews timeline. That's what I really miss on my phone, the ability to see what's coming up and plan accordingly.
 "More info on upcoming reviews (Was thinking of having a list of upcoming items, but that could refresh the items in your mind and perhaps lead to a "false correct result".. ? Open to discussion...)"

Do you mean something you like this? 

Just downloaded the new apk. In the next 24 hours I have 270 (ç_ç) reviews, so I’ll be able to test it out (aren’t I lucky? :D)

EDIT: Got one vocab for now: ignore doesn’t work; mute works; I honestly didn’t notice about the auto popup but I think it appeared.

I’ll update again later.
Poor 形, sacrificed like this. At least it was for science.

sackboy97 said... Just downloaded the new apk. In the next 24 hours I have 270 (ç_ç) reviews, so I'll be able to test it out (aren't I lucky? :D)

EDIT: Got one vocab for now: ignore doesn't work; mute works; I honestly didn't notice about the auto popup but I think it appeared.
I'll update again later. Poor 形, sacrificed like this. At least it was for science.
While debugging there was this time when I thought I was logged in with my other account (free) account  and was trying the ignore button. I'm deliberately answering wrong then pressing the ignore button. I'm like, what the hell? Why won't this work? It was working until just now! Again and again, wrong answers. Then it comes to me, Oh, wait, this is my main account! Damn!.. So many items... :'| :D

So, Ignore doesn’t work; Single seems to work; WK Improve works; review order works; part of speech doesn’t; Auto Popup and Mute both work.

xip said...
Helix said... You know, the thing I would most like to see is a reviews timeline. That's what I really miss on my phone, the ability to see what's coming up and plan accordingly.
 "More info on upcoming reviews (Was thinking of having a list of upcoming items, but that could refresh the items in your mind and perhaps lead to a "false correct result".. ? Open to discussion...)"

I think he means something like the chrome extension, which looks like this:

This does not give anything away, but it’s very useful. Especially if it’s 11:50pm, you want to go to bed, but you have 50 reviews coming up for the next hour, with the next review in 10 minutes. Only to find out that you have 1 in 10 minutes and 49 in 55 minutes. Also very useful to see when ‘important’ reviews come up (aka the one for your current level). Would love an app like this for iPhone.

punjoop said...
xip said...

I think he means something like the chrome extension, which looks like this:

This does not give anything away, but it’s very useful. Especially if it’s 11:50pm, you want to go to bed, but you have 50 reviews coming up for the next hour, with the next review in 10 minutes. Only to find out that you have 1 in 10 minutes and 49 in 55 minutes. Also very useful to see when ‘important’ reviews come up (aka the one for your current level). Would love an app like this for iPhone.

Oh, I see. 

Yeah, like that. In the timeline I use you can see at a glance what kind of review is coming up. The bars highlighted in red are current (apprentice-level) items, the ones highlighted in black are burns. My very first burns, in fact!

Hi, I just tried this, and unless I’m mistaken, it has overwritten my preinstalled fonts rendering Firefox a mess. Can you please advise on how to reverse this process?

Snave said... Hi, I just tried this, and unless I'm mistaken, it has overwritten my preinstalled fonts rendering Firefox a mess. Can you please advise on how to reverse this process?
 Hi, there must be something wrong on your end. The app doesn't touch anything in the system. Nor is able to...

Hello, just published a new version. This update fixes the writing issues in reviews and brings some of the userscripts and features available in WK Mobile.

I’ve been talking with Alberto Cuda (developer of WK Mobile) during the past few days and we’ve agreed on porting most of the features available in WK Mobile to WK for Android. As of now, there’s no specific list of features that are going to make it over, nor any schedule. 

As you will notice, the first things to come over are the internal browser -which is awesomely made- and the userscripts. Some of the scripts in WK Mobile are still not available in WK for Android though. The main reason is that they weren’t really ready, one even didn’t work. A second reason, I thought I’d publish the current state before I add those as it fixes some important issues with the review system and, I believe, the most useful scripts are already there.

Finally, I can’t thank Alberto enough. Not only did he let me incorporate his code, he has also been helping me out with understanding an debugging his code. 

Haha, I saw the new version on github, immediately tried it out and thought to myself “this looks familiar.”
I can’t test the review order script because I’ve only got vocab reviews right now. Is it supposed to sort automatically, because I don’t see a button, or is that one of those scripts not working yet? Apparently lesson order isn’t ported either. Also I’m not sure how to test Mistake Delay, I’ve never used this script and it seems like it’s virtually impossible to accidentally submit the vocab again with my phone. All other scripts seem to work fine!

• After entering the API key, using the program for a while, going back to the main screen and pressing the back button brings you to the API key screen again.
  • The critical items list on the main screen lists all of them, and I have like 50. It’s a pretty long list and it lags while scrolling, I think it should be limited with a “See more” like the recent unlocks.
  • Pressing the pencil button in the bottom right during lessons once caused an “invalid uri scheme” error. It doesn’t happen anymore. Had I known that, I would have written down the exact error code, sorry.
  • Swiping up on the dashboard to reload freezes the phone for a second, although that’t not a biggie it might be worth pointing out
  • I wasn’t able to get vocab sound to work. It’s not muted on the review screen, but it doesn’t play.
The app is coming along really well. I’m glad to hear that you Alberto is helping you out.