[Client App, Discontinued] WaniKani for Android

It looks amazing, like top 5% of Android apps I’ve ever seen levels of pretty. Great job. I have an issue with typing and deleting things though, as alluded to above readings get a bit funky when I type in reviews and I can’t delete anything unless I move the cursor around a few times. Nexus 7 2013 if it matters.

Maaaan, I wish the iOS app would pick up the pace. It’s so incredibly basic right now. Almost makes me regret switching…

Amazing work, looks brilliant.

1 Like
looki said... This looks really nice, great job. I can't believe you made this even though you're only on level 6. That's dedication!
The WK Mobile app, although not supported by its developer anymore, still works and I personally really need some of the userscripts that it supports, so it would be great if you had support for those! I might actually contribute to this in the future. I wanted to have a look at Android dev at some point anyway and your code seems nice and clean.
I'm level 6 because, as I mentioned earlier, I only picked wanikani up about like 6 months ago and it wasn't until about a month and a half ago that I subscribed.

About the userscripts, as I wrote in the OP, this was one of the few things I would like to do but couldn't simply because I didn't know how to.  I could search around to see and would probably find a way but didn't have time. More like, I put it below some other things in the priorities list...
Yasawas said... It looks amazing, like top 5% of Android apps I've ever seen levels of pretty. Great job. I have an issue with typing and deleting things though, as alluded to above readings get a bit funky when I type in reviews and I can't delete anything unless I move the cursor around a few times. Nexus 7 2013 if it matters.
 Thanks!  I totally know what you mean. I experienced the same thing on my nexus 4 running KitKat. I assume you are running KitKat too. I had thought that it was an issue with my phone and the Custom ROM I was running at that time (It works fine on L developer preview). Today, I tried on another phone (also running KitKat) and got the same issues. This totally affects the way reviews are done and has to be fixed asap. As I mentioned up there ("Some kind of native-like review system"),  I was planning to have something there instead of pure WebView (Web Browser). Guess I'll have to get it to the top of my priorities list.

looks great. cant wait to try it out. 

I’m really curious to see if you can make a native review system. Without an API designed for it, it seems pretty tricky.

I’m a big fan of the other app but especially since it’s no longer under maintenance I can get behind this one

You should talk to the author and see if he’ll share his source too then you could more easily integrate some of its features

The UI is really nice and looks a lot more cellphone friendly too

Keep it up 

That’s beautiful. Now I want an android just so I can use this app. I don’t suppose you could make an iPhone version? haha

1 Like

Looks fantastic. Will be trying it out and will post any issues I have. Thanks for making!

EDIT: I am on Nexus 5 and it is impossible for me to type tadasu in hiragana for the reading answer. It just changes to dadasu no matter what I do.

Will start using this once userscripts are integrated =)

1 Like
Helix said... I'm really curious to see if you can make a native review system. Without an API designed for it, it seems pretty tricky.
I don't even know if it's possible but I was thinking of something like having android text box and a button overlay on the webpage and get/set text value to the text box and apply click to the button in the webpage when an android button is clicked using some kind of javascript... Or maybe even keep the webview in the background (hidden) and have the layout designed natively using the same method above. I have 0 javascript knowledge though. Will have to make a lot of research and trial and error on these...

Walnut said... I'm a big fan of the other app but especially since it's no longer under maintenance I can get behind this one

You should talk to the author and see if he'll share his source too then you could more easily integrate some of its features

Keep it up 
I believe his source is up on Github too, will have to see that. I didn't know that he had stopped maintaining the app though.

ShotgunLagoon said... That's beautiful. Now I want an android just so I can use this app. I don't suppose you could make an iPhone version? haha
 Unfortunately, I don't have any experience on the iOS platform nor do I have any testing devices in hand...

I think the other app is still maintained (bugfixes, compatibility updates), just no new features will be added unless someone volunteers to take over the project.
I’m going to keep that one on my tablet since it works really well there, but I’m installing this on my phone for those on the road reviews (usually don’t lug my tablet around much).

sherril8 said... Looks fantastic. Will be trying it out and will post any issues I have. Thanks for making!

EDIT: I am on Nexus 5 and it is impossible for me to type tadasu in hiragana for the reading answer. It just changes to dadasu no matter what I do.
This was mentioned just above. I will get to work on this asap. Can you just check if the same behavior persists when you use the native android browser? Or any other browser you may have? Would probably be fine with third-party browser though...

Hmm pretty, will try it out. Thanks :slight_smile:

olems said... I think the other app is still maintained (bugfixes, compatibility updates), just no new features will be added unless someone volunteers to take over the project.
I'm going to keep that one on my tablet since it works really well there, but I'm installing this on my phone for those on the road reviews (usually don't lug my tablet around much).
The app is optimized for tablets (UI) too so you might wanna keep it just in case :P 

[DELETED]

xip said...
sherril8 said... Looks fantastic. Will be trying it out and will post any issues I have. Thanks for making!

This was mentioned just above. I will get to work on this asap. Can you just check if the same behavior persists when you use the native android browser? Or any other browser you may have? Would probably be fine with third-party browser though...
 I have used WaniKani in Chrome on Android on both my Nexus 5 and 7. I haven't run into that issues in the browser. Good luck finding the problem!
xip said...
Walnut said... I'm a big fan of the other app but especially since it's no longer under maintenance I can get behind this one

You should talk to the author and see if he'll share his source too then you could more easily integrate some of its features

Keep it up 
I believe his source is up on Github too, will have to see that. I didn't know that he had stopped maintaining the app though.
Of course you are welcome to incorporate all the code you need:
 https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification
You might find the internal browser of particular interest because coding something that could more or less work on more or less all the devices was a bit tricky.

As correctly pointed out, due to lack of time and the fact that I've completed the WK cycle, I'm not adding new features, and just making sure that nothing breaks when the site is updated. I'll probably release a bugfix these days, but it won't be distributed through Google Play.

That's why I'd really appreciate if you could combine your code with mine and distribute an app with all the features of WK Mobile and the design of WK for Android. To ease the process, I would be happy to move my app from my Google Play account to yours.

I'm not sure that would be easy, and it probably would not be much fun, so I understand if you choose not to do this. Whatever you choose, however, if there's anything I can do to help you, feel free to ask. Good luck :)

This looks awesome! I love how you incorporated Material Design in this.

s84606 said...
xip said...

Keep it up 
Of course you are welcome to incorporate all the code you need:
 https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification
You might find the internal browser of particular interest because coding something that could more or less work on more or less all the devices was a bit tricky.

As correctly pointed out, due to lack of time and the fact that I've completed the WK cycle, I'm not adding new features, and just making sure that nothing breaks when the site is updated. I'll probably release a bugfix these days, but it won't be distributed through Google Play.
That's why I'd really appreciate if you could combine your code with mine and distribute an app with all the features of WK Mobile and the design of WK for Android. To ease the process, I would be happy to move my app from my Google Play account to yours.

I'm not sure that would be easy, and it probably would not be much fun, so I understand if you choose not to do this. Whatever you choose, however, if there's anything I can do to help you, feel free to ask. Good luck :)
Oh, wow, thank you very much for your support. I'll begin by investigating your code then. Especially the internal browser as you pointed out...

About combining the codes, I'd probably not want to just copy in the code. Rather, I can examine your code and then rewrite things. It would help me on the experience side of things too this way. Whichever the case, I'm sure to knock on your door every now and then. :)