[Client App, Discontinued] WaniKani for Android

Hi all!

I’ve been using this app ever since I started WaniKani ~1.5 years ago, and I really like it.
It’s simple, fast, has a good look/feel, and I’m used to it.

I wanted to continue using it after V1 API was shut off, so I’ve gone and updated the bulk of the application to use the V2 API.
There are some things I haven’t gotten to yet (including notifications, recent unlocks/critical item display in the dashboard, and support for vacation mode) - however all the functionality I thought important works.

Here’s a link to the repo: https://github.com/mrothberg/WaniKani-for-Android-V2

It’s not 100% ready for general release just yet, as viewing subject items are not being restricted based on subscription status, which I believe is a WaniKani requirement.
I have currently only tested with my account, which has a lifetime subscription.
I’d love additional testing/feedback if anyone is inclined to clone/build it. I could also build and provide an apk here.

There’s definitely still some cleanup I need to do on my changes. I used this as an opportunity to learn some new things and I haven’t worked with the WaniKani API before, so some things can definitely be done cleaner.
However, it works well enough at this point that others can try it out.

Questions for @xip

• I wanted to get your opinion on how a release should be handled. It looks like others are interested in continuing to use the app as well, so it would be cool to release this properly.
  • Would you be interested in updating/releasing to the existing play store app? Or should I go ahead and release it myself when ready? Currently all the package names are unchanged from the original.

Feel free to ask any questions about my changes or bring up any ideas.

3 Likes