Cleaning up leeches/items and I'm frustrated that its taking so long

From my experience killing leeches, I suggest you don’t trust WK SRS. It’s terrible for rote memorization. Avoid rote memorization for the leeches and spend more time creating mnemonics, so the stage climbs smoothly. If you want to use rote memorization, cram using this tool instead, but avoid failing on WK
http://jptools.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/bishbashbosh.html

1 Like

I have several I use and love! :slight_smile: use those trial lessons…and when all else fails the answer is こう

2 Likes

I think on iOS you can make a password. You could set your background as the kanji or work, then type in the kana(might have to be the romaji) idk. Haha gotta unstick some of them leeches!

My first week back to work. (I’m a teacher) and I was really busy. WK didn’t get done every day so my reviews built up!Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 12.23.56 PM
Here are my items before:

And my items after:

I’m glad I stopped doing lessons for a while, I’m still thinking that its worth waiting to get the leeches under control. But I really want to get a move on with the lessons.

I’m considering starting lessons again. But maybe just 5-10 a week or something. I want to keep progressing, but I also want to keep cleaning up. I can tell that some of the leeches are getting easier while I hold back on the lessons. I’ve also been really focusing on the mnemonics and trying out some of my own. Wish me luck!

4 Likes

Today’s update:

Ahaha this is brutal.

2 Likes

Sooo many leeches. I am making progress, but its slow.

2 Likes

What a fun few days I had of not being able to do reviews… ahaha here’s the update. Also I currently have the best number for burned items lol!

2 Likes

Today:

When I started this Thread:

It’s reassuring to see items moving to the right, but the apprentice items just fluctuate so hard. They are the leeches of doom. I haven’t done any new lessons in I think about a month now and it feels bad lol. But I think defeating the leeches is really important. I can feel the SRS working on some of the leeches. I’m taking time to really work on the mnemonics. I’ve also found this daily post to be motivating for myself. Thanks to anyone who checks in on it!

1 Like

I have my share of items that like to churn between apprentice and master. I just consider it my brain telling me it needs to see that item again. For extra study I like bishbashbosh, which discourse is telling me @jamielin already posted, for its simplicity and repetition a bit better than the self study script.

This tool has been great!

Leeches.

Today’s update. Probably another month of this madness, then I’ll have moved all the non-leeches.

1 Like

Some of my old leeches came back to haunt me. Which is ok I guess… I really would like to get the apprentice items down to zero and keep it that way for a bit. I’m still fighting the urge to do any reviews. I was poking around the forums today, and it looks like what I am doing is a common thing that people do at some point. Some people do it at later levels or earlier levels, but leech maintenance in one form or another is a thing.

I spent the better part of a year doing the same reviews every day/week. I had about 400-something leeches that kept cycling through. It was getting to the point where I dreaded reviews because I knew I would be seeing the same cards that I wouldn’t recognize, even though I’d been reviewing them near-daily for several months or more.

When I hit level 29, I paused my lessons to focus on leeches. I wanted to get them under control as best I can while still in the first half of WaniKani. I expect to finally level up tomorrow, after 115 days on level 29.

I’ve tried many things that failed. Strategies that normally made words very easy to remember (recalling their appearance in a scene in an anime or manga) didn’t work for me for my leeches. And it didn’t help that many leeches were words that never showed up in anything I would watch or read!

For me, a big portion of my leeches were kanji. I see the majority of what you have in apprentice and guru are vocabulary, so likely nothing that worked for me would be able to help out here, unfortunately.

This is one of the hardest stages in learning Japanese, where you don’t know enough words to feel comfortable reading, but without reading it can be difficult to become familiar with a lot of words.

I see you’re set to read along with 大海原と大海原 in the Absolute Beginner Book Club. It’ll probably be really difficult, especially in the earlier chapters. Hopefully you’ll meet some of your leeches while reading with the book club, and they’ll trigger memories of their usage when you see them come up in reviews =D

1 Like

This will be my second book club. The first one went better than I expected. I’m hoping this one will go better. But I think breaking into reading has to have a steep learning curve.

115 days is looongggg I think I’m on 55 days for Level 13, probably will need like another month before I can do anything about that.

1 Like

I’m going to try and add my incorrect results from now on. (Haha publicly shaming myself!)

Thought I’d share this. I finally got around to making a simple background for my phone. I’ll have to figure out what mistakes I really want to put on here, but this worked for one leech. I look at my phone a lot daily, so hopefully this will just help with a few of the more stubborn leeches.

It’s not fancy, but for now this seems ok. If this works for me I’ll spend more time making the next one prettier.

1 Like

Progress?

2 Likes

I had a rough week, and didn’t do reviews for a few days. That for sure hurt my items. I was able to burn 11 items this week and still move stuff to the right which is great!

I miss learning new stuff, but I think this slow and steady is working. I have to keep up with my reviews this week.

3 Likes

Today’s update:

3 Likes