[Chrome Extension] WaniKani Companion

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Hello WaniKani community! 

I started to develop a Chrome Extension to suit my needs, then I thought that it would be a good idea to share it, so... I introduce you WaniKani Companion.

The main features of this app are the following: 

* Profile overview: see your profile summary at a glance (name, sect, level, lessons, reviews and SRS progression).
* Badge notifications: be notified of your available lessons and reviews on the extension's icon.
* Desktop notifications: be notified of your lessons and reviews directly on your desktop.
* Chrome sync integration: the user settings are saved across all your Chrome's instances.
* WaniKani website integration: display all of WaniKani directly from the extension tab (dashboard, lessons, reviews...).
* User scripts improvements (extension + standalone HTTPS WaniKani website): the "item info" panel is auto-expanded on reviews et lessons quizzes.

I released the extension on the Chrome Web Store here, and the sources are available on GitHub: https://github.com/naei/wanikani-companion .

Hope you'll like it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major updates:

v1.2.4: When there is no available reviews, display the countdown before next review 
v1.2.2: Sound added on notifications (can be enabled in settings page)
v1.2.0: Added the possibility to enable / disable the "item info" panel expansion feature

9 Likes

Oh, I like the look of that. I’ll have to give it a shot.

whoa that looks pretty. added

omg i love it what the heck you can do reviews and lessons right in the little popup this is the coolest thing ever

so much convenience.

SO MUCH CONVENIENCE.

I love it so much. Ahhhaihshhshshhhhhh.

It’s. So. Beautiful.

Aleithian said... It's. So. Beautiful.

no why'd it stop there keep going down gif
ShotgunLagoon said...
Aleithian said... It's. So. Beautiful.

no why'd it stop there keep going down gif
 That's Trigger for you. :P

Could you add an option to retract an incorrect input? I hate silly mistakes ruining my progress.

This is awesome!

Aleithian said…
Could you add an option to retract an incorrect input? I hate silly mistakes ruining my progress.
 Seconding this, typos plague my existance

Can this be used with Firefox? This looks really good. Either way, thank you for creating it and sharing.

I’ve been using the notifier, this may replace that. Pretty handy thing this is. Good work. :slight_smile:

This is great, but it causes some weird behaviour. After each review/lesson (even correct ones) it opens ‘Item Info’, which is really annoying. Switching off the extensions removes the problem. Other than that, it’s pretty neat.

babaleh said... This is great, but it causes some weird behaviour. After each review/lesson (even correct ones) it opens 'Item Info', which is really annoying. Switching off the extensions removes the problem. Other than that, it's pretty neat.
 +1 to this. it does it not only in the popup but also on the full browser review page. i'd appreciate it if you could fix that OP. thank you!

The turtles move upon mouse hover!! How kawaii. Koichi should do this.

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback!

Aleithian said...Could you add an option to retract an incorrect input? I hate silly mistakes ruining my progress.
 I really don't know what to think about this feature. I know that sometimes it's really frustrating, but that kind of stupid mistakes we are doing are also part of the game. Maybe I will think about implementing it in the future.

Anyway, I did not say it on my first post, but all the userscripts developed for the HTTPS version of the website will also impact WaniKani Companion. So while waiting, maybe you can try this one (which I never tried, so I cannot guarantee that this userscript is working properly).

cptcack said... Can this be used with Firefox? This looks really good. Either way, thank you for creating it and sharing.
Today this extension is available with Google Chrome only. But of course, if in the future I have some time to spend on that, I'll think about creating a Firefox version. Otherwise, if a developer here wants to work on it, I'll be honored that he/she fork my project on GitHub.

babaleh said... This is great, but it causes some weird behaviour. After each review/lesson (even correct ones) it opens 'Item Info', which is really annoying. Switching off the extensions removes the problem. Other than that, it's pretty neat.
 Actually, this is a feature I added because I was bored to press everytime a first time on 'Enter' to validate my answer, then press on the "item info" panel to see more information about it.
I understand that this behavior can be disturbing, so I updated WaniKani Companion, and you can now enable or disable this feature from the settings page. Each time this setting is changed, it will take effect at the next review/lesson session.
DJbookachoo said... I've been using the notifier, this may replace that. Pretty handy thing this is. Good work. :)
 Same here! I really like the way it looks!

amazing extension but this feature didnt work for me: 
“Desktop notifications: be notified of your lessons and reviews directly on your desktop” , and the extension doesnt produce any sound when i have pending reviews so if i am in the desktop i cant hear or see any alert that says i have pending reviews.

chazychaz said... amazing extension but this feature didnt work for me: 
"Desktop notifications: be notified of your lessons and reviews directly on your desktop" , and the extension doesnt produce any sound when i have pending reviews so if i am in the desktop i cant hear or see any alert that says i have pending reviews.
Hello chazychaz, did you check if your notifications are enabled ?  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?hl=en
If you're using a portable or other special version of Google Chrome, the notifications may work in your brower but not on the desktop.

About sounds on notifications, yes I want to add this feature. I just need to find the perfect sound, if anyone here have a suggestion ...? :)

lua said...
chazychaz said... amazing extension but this feature didnt work for me: 
"Desktop notifications: be notified of your lessons and reviews directly on your desktop" , and the extension doesnt produce any sound when i have pending reviews so if i am in the desktop i cant hear or see any alert that says i have pending reviews.
Hello chazychaz, did you check if your notifications are enabled ?  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?hl=en
If you're using a portable or other special version of Google Chrome, the notifications may work in your brower but not on the desktop.

About sounds on notifications, yes I want to add this feature. I just need to find the perfect sound, if anyone here have a suggestion ...? :)

Perfect Sound: http://youtu.be/OuMfyndwARQ?list=RDxEQ3c8xyLZc

my notifications are enabled, i am using chrome 40.0.2214.115 , windows 8.1 , Surface Pro 2, wanikani companion settings:  data refresh interval 5 min,  notification lifetime: no limit, how does it looks like when you have desktop notifications? i didnt see anything.