ChristopherFritz's Study Log

October Day 1

WK Reviews

The first day of any effort is always the most “motivation” day. I managed to get up a little earlier so I could complete my reviews in the morning. I also did all my reviews during my lunch break. And I cleared out my reviews on my afternoon break. And I got to all my reviews after I clocked out. And I made certain to get to the available reviews after doing my scheduled book club posting. And I did more reviews after reading. I’m looking forward to having only about 20 reviews shortly after posting this entry.

WK Lessons

With my Apprentice having dipped below 90, I went ahead with a few more lessons (one kanji, two vocabulary):

Lesson  Meaning Notes
publish Can I remember 𢦏 is pronounced さい, and is also in 裁? (Unlikely.)
可燃ゴミ burnable garbage I was able to guess the meaning and the pronunciation. Should make for a quick and easy burn.
不燃ゴミ nonburnable garbage Although the meaning and pronunciation were easy to guess, I have a feeling this one won’t burn so easily.

These vocabulary words of course go counter to what Fuuka taught me:

15x

Where do I place my trust? In Fuuka? In the Crabigator?

Reading

Here are my day’s reading goals and actual number of pages read:

Material Goal Read
アオハライド 6 pages 16 pages
おじさまと猫 1 page 1 page
ひとりぼっちの○○生活 2 pages 1 page
ふらいんぐうぃっち 5 pages 5 pages
三ツ星カラーズ 3 pages 3 pages
美少女戦士セーラームーン 8 pages 8 pages
Total 25 pages 34 pages

I don’t think I’ll be finishing volume 1 of ひとりぼっちの○○生活 by the end of December, but I don’t mind extending it into 2021 if I can keep up one page per day. (In reality, I’ll probably miss a lot of days, and it’ll extend into 2022…)

Grammar

I’m skipping reading/watching grammar material for today. Sounds like a bad start to the month, but there is a reason.

I failed to factor in my Thursday レンタルおにいちゃん comparison thread. And I didn’t prepare any of it in advance!

Thankfully (for my October plans), this was the last comparison for volume 1 of the series.

And, I’m still doing grammar reviews for today’s read material.

Difficult Panel

I was going to write here my working through a difficult panel from アオハライド, but I failed miserably, so it instead went into the appropriate アオハライド thread for outside assistance.

Review Panel

As a review of something I know, but I don’t process fast enough, I’m highlighting this panel from 三ツ星カラーズ:

Context: Yui and her friends previously recorded a film about their neighborhood, and posted it online. Sacchan wonders how many views it’s had by now, and Kotoha suggests it may have had about 10,000,000 views. Yui checks, finding the video has only had 83 views.

「全部知り合いだと思います」
“I think it’s all people we know.”

と思う remains one of my weakness.

I should be able to simply read it as “I think”. The problem lies in when I first learned about と as marking a quote. I read this like she’s quoting what she thinks (which may very well be the case), but that doesn’t align with how I process my English counterpart of this sentence.

It doesn’t help that English typically begins a sentence with “I think” and Japanese ends the sentence with 「と思う」.

I’ll have to work more on quickly understanding と思う. I think.

As a small victory, when in the next panel Sacchan asks about the 広告収入, I was able to recognize the kanji (after reading the furigana) and know she’s asking about the “ad revenue” thanks to having learned the words from WaniKani.

6 Likes