Change primary meaning of 以 to `compared with`

I think 以 should have the primary meaning changed to compared with instead of from. This is because 3 of the 5 vocabulary that use this kanji use the compared with meaning for the mnemonic, including the first 2 after unlocking the kanji.

Example:

2 Likes

Strictly speaking, those meanings both express the same concept of what is going on with the kanji’s meaning in Japanese. You have some point, range, direction, etc (which is expressed by the kanji that follows 以) and 以 marks that thing as the point of comparison.

So whether you say “compared with this, it’s outside” or “from this point, it’s outside” it’s still the same meaning.

The “with” and “by means of” definitions of 以 are a separate meaning, not associated with “from” / “compared with.”

To be fair, I have no idea if that’s how WK uses these words in their mnemonics, because they tend to play fast and loose with things anyway, but I guess it’s just my two cents that the glosses you mentioned are both pointing at the same meaning of the kanji, just phrased differently.

7 Likes

Ngl I didn’t understand what this kanji was going for at all, this cleared it up immensely thank you very much. My issue is more so the majority of mnemonics uses compared with other than the from meaning, I understand that you could rewrite them to be effectively the same with the from meaning which would also be a satisfactory solution. The easiness of just changing the primary reading is what made it my main suggestion of the post. I also think the mnemonics are perfectly fine with the compared with meaning, while from would take some more context to naturally arrive at in the mind as a good mnemonic (but that’s obviously subjective.)

I also use compared with as my primary meaning for this kanji.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.