Change in some vocabulary meaning

I keep running into vocabularies that have changed their meaning and it’s very frustrating, because some of them were going to be burns, and of course I answered them wrong.

These are some examples:
障る Before “to hinder” was an answer, now it’s not.
印 Before “seal” was an answer not it’s not.
利く Before “to be effective” was an answer, now it’s not.

Anyone else has encountered something like this?

1 Like

They log all the changes on the blog linked to on the dashboard. They’ve been told before that it’d be nice if there was a notification system or something though. Just hasn’t been made.

3 Likes

An e-mail it’s not that hard to make. It’s super frustrating and annoying.
At least they should let pass one mistake, it’s not that I got it wrong, it’s that they’ve changed it.

I found the blog and these 3 examples in it. But now it’s worse than I thought. They make weekly updates, so every week I need to go into this blog and check every vocabulary? Seriously? More than annoying.

2 Likes

Well… I mean, the alternative is they never make any improvements to the site…

1 Like

I disagree, the alternative is the notification system that you mentioned. Sending an e-mail it’s really not that hard.

1 Like

I am both happy and worried about this XD I don’t even know the other meanings for this kanji, I always typed seal

I’m just thinking of “it’s worse than I thought, they’ve been making improvements all the time!” sounding strange, ha.

It really isn’t going to hurt you to review like 10 more words twice more in your lifetime. Besides, rather learn a better translation than a poor one right?

Also, while the system is nice and gamified, it really doesn’t matter if you get that high score accuracy… All-in-all, I don’t see why this ruffles your feathers, but maybe one day they’ll implement a better notification system.

2 Likes

I wonder if someone could make a script that sees what words they changed from the blog, then while in a review session, has a little thing in the corner thats like “Oh BTW, this may not be the reading you think it is.”

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I always used “to be effective” and that one is coming up for review in two days!

1 Like

I said this last week, but:

4 Likes

Glad I m blind and missed it XD that’s exciting

Does anyone know why this has changed? I think “to be effective” is synonymous with “to work well”, and jisho.org lists it as a reading: 利く - Jisho.org

They’re closely related, but express different ideas, the two kanji versions of きく.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.