Change in some vocabulary meaning

I keep running into vocabularies that have changed their meaning and it’s very frustrating, because some of them were going to be burns, and of course I answered them wrong.

These are some examples:
障る Before “to hinder” was an answer, now it’s not.
印 Before “seal” was an answer not it’s not.
利く Before “to be effective” was an answer, now it’s not.

Anyone else has encountered something like this?

1 Like

They log all the changes on the blog linked to on the dashboard. They’ve been told before that it’d be nice if there was a notification system or something though. Just hasn’t been made.

3 Likes

An e-mail it’s not that hard to make. It’s super frustrating and annoying.
At least they should let pass one mistake, it’s not that I got it wrong, it’s that they’ve changed it.

I found the blog and these 3 examples in it. But now it’s worse than I thought. They make weekly updates, so every week I need to go into this blog and check every vocabulary? Seriously? More than annoying.

2 Likes

Well… I mean, the alternative is they never make any improvements to the site…

1 Like

I disagree, the alternative is the notification system that you mentioned. Sending an e-mail it’s really not that hard.

1 Like

I am both happy and worried about this XD I don’t even know the other meanings for this kanji, I always typed seal

I’m just thinking of “it’s worse than I thought, they’ve been making improvements all the time!” sounding strange, ha.

It really isn’t going to hurt you to review like 10 more words twice more in your lifetime. Besides, rather learn a better translation than a poor one right?

Also, while the system is nice and gamified, it really doesn’t matter if you get that high score accuracy… All-in-all, I don’t see why this ruffles your feathers, but maybe one day they’ll implement a better notification system.

2 Likes

I wonder if someone could make a script that sees what words they changed from the blog, then while in a review session, has a little thing in the corner thats like “Oh BTW, this may not be the reading you think it is.”

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I always used “to be effective” and that one is coming up for review in two days!

1 Like

I said this last week, but:

4 Likes

Glad I m blind and missed it XD that’s exciting

Does anyone know why this has changed? I think “to be effective” is synonymous with “to work well”, and jisho.org lists it as a reading: https://jisho.org/search/利く

They’re closely related, but express different ideas, the two kanji versions of きく.

https://chigai-allguide.com/効くと利く/

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.