Cells at Work! 🦠 | Week 1

It is that same すぎ and ず in indeed negating it. I’ve seen this small phrase used in other places as well, when I went to look for it, so it seems to be somewhat of a set phrase.
What I was wondering about really, is if you could swap the ず to ない, so 熱すぎない、寒すぎない

3 Likes

Ohh interesting! when I was looking it up it also looked like a set phrase. Doing a bit more research it seems you can use it for other things as well.

about swapping ず to ない

Did a quick google to see if I could find a place where ない is used instead but I could only find it on a Japanese to English language exchange site. It was the English native speaker writing it so I don’t know whether it would sound natural or not! And they only used it in the second part as you can see.

link to page

4 Likes

I’ve come across ず in songs before, it used to be the negation form in older Japanese but was later replaced with ない. So when used today, it’s sound more formal than ない (Source)

There are still some traces in for example ずに and it’s equivalent ないで.

4 Likes

I think ず can be found quite often, and also has its own conjugation patterns – https://www.imabi.net/zu.htm

In this case, the verb is ()ぎる.

Otherwise, I tripped on ~ざる, not recognize as a negative a while ago.

3 Likes

In order to avoid skipping all the boxes out of laziness, here are the transcription for chapter one. Please feel free to correct me if there is something wrong with my translation. I tried to stay true to the Japanese way of putting it.

Box page 10 : 白血球(好中球)/ White blood cell (Neutrophil)

外部から体内に侵入した細菌やウイルスなど異物の排除が主な仕事。

Eliminating foreign substances from the exterior such as bacteria, viruses… that had invaded the inner body is their main job.

好中球は血液中の白血球の半数以上を占める

Neutrophils account for more than half of the white blood cell within the blood

Box page 12: 赤血球 / Red Blood Cell

ヘモグロビンを多く含むため赤い。

(Red Blood Cell) due to high hemoglobin content are red.

血液循環によって酸素と二酸化炭素を運搬する

(Red Blood Cells) transport oxygen and carbon dioxide by the means of the blood circulation

Box page 13 : 赤血球の仕事 / The job of the red blood cell

体中を駆けぐり、酸素を体の隅々に運び届ける。

They run throughout the body, delivering oxygen to every corner of the body.

また肺へ二酸化炭素を運ぶ

They also carry the carbon dioxide to the lungs

Box page 13 : 静脈弁 / Vein valve

血液の逆流を防ぐ。

It prevents blood backflow.

静脈を流れる血液を心蔵行きの一方通行にしている

It makes the blood flows one way to the heart through the veins

Realized there are 13 box in week 2 which I blatantly ignored of my first read hahaha

7 Likes

Thank you so much for transcribing the information boxes.

Greatly appreciated!

:bowing_man:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! It’s also beneficial to me!

3 Likes