Cells at Work! 🦠 | Week 1

Week 1 26 November 2022
End page 12
Pages 13
Next week Week 2
Home Thread Cells at Work!

Vocabulary and Grammar

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Page numbers

The schedule is based on the page numbers that sometimes appear on the bottom of the pages. Both the Kindle and the BookWalker versions seem to be 2 off (44 instead of 42)

Last page of the week

Live Readings

Live readings are currently not organized. If you are interested in organizing one, tell me and I’ll update the post.

Discussion Questions

Questions
  1. What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
  2. What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
  3. Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!i

8 Likes

To be totally honest, the part I’ve found hardest so far is the background study about the different types of cells. I could have just gone along with the book to teach me through the story, but I did enjoy learning it first in English and it’ll be reinforced via the story (I’m hoping)

I liked the phrase かいがあった . I’ve been told its fairly common and it felt comparatively useful to a lot of the other new vocabulary I was reading - I’m enjoying learning but it’s not every day I’ll need to talk about specific cells lol

6 Likes

That’s probably because this is the first chapter, we need to nail down the basics, like our main characters and their jobs. I believe besides the cells appearing in the inside cover, there will only be viruses and bacteria

6 Likes

A quick tip for those that find the book to be on the lower end of difficulty for them (and those with a lot of free time).
One way to make sure you actually understand what you’re reading, while also helping beginners, is to translate the chapter. Either as a literal or natural translation, both are a great way to practice and cross-check!

2 Likes

Hello, I ended up making cards with brief descriptions of what each of the characters do because I thought it could be fun to learn a little about these cells, while also learning the Japanese. I now wish I spent more time making cards on some of the more everyday Japanese used in the first couple of pages, as a lot of these cells seem to overlap job wise and I don’t have the time to delve in to the nuance to understand them.

Hopefully the further we get in the book the better my understanding will be! :slight_smile:

Here are the card pics in case they help anyone else!

Anki cards with the characters shown from the starting page and a brief description of what they do (from a very brief google search)

If anyone could give me info on the two that I left out I would really appreciate it as I don’t know what they are at all and I couldn’t figure it out. 制御性T細胞 and ヘルパーT細胞
As well as that, If I have any mistakes on my cards do say so I can fix it. (Or if you dont have time to tell me how to correct it just knowing it’s wrong is a big help!)

Excited to read more once I rest from my excessive googling !
good luck everyone :smiley:

ps- I just want to say I’m not going to memorise these and their meanings, they are more there to have something fun pop up while doing my other cards. and If I naturally cement and understanding that’ll be a bonus!

7 Likes

We basically did the same thing XD Although by the sounds of it, you may of looked it to it a bit more intensely. I’m also hoping its worth it!

3 Likes

Wikipedia to the rescue (which can change language at will).

6 Likes

That’s awesome, looks great!

2 Likes

Those Anki cards look awesome - great work!

Yeah it’s actually been really fun to learn and I think it’s a big part of the appeal of this manga - it’s certainly why my husband bought it in the first place and I even have it at home to read (although he didn’t enjoy it, so I’m waiting to get a bit further through and guess why)

2 Likes

I used to watch “Once upon a time… life” when I was younger. A bit of reminiscence going on here :eyes:

Thank you for the hard work on the vocabulary and grammar sheet ! And well done with the Anki cards, they look great @FrankieFrank

8 Likes

Yeah, pretty much the same.
There’s also a different show people compare it to, called Osmosis Jones, though personally haven’t seen that.

3 Likes

Hello guys, it’s my first time doing a book club here and everywhere in the universe !
Nice to meet you all ! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Welcome to the community, and welcome to the club! Looking forward to having you here! :grin:

4 Likes

This is starting off strong! I like the concept. Reminds me a ton of Ozzy and Drex from my childhood. I have to look up every other word, but most of the grammar is pretty simple, which is nice. One part I just can’t understand is 一匹でも逃げたら大変なことになるからな on page 10.

I can understand the words separately, but putting them together doesn’t make sense to me.

I look forward to continue reading with you all! :grin:

3 Likes

一匹でも逃げたら大変なことになるからな

The first part of the sentence, “一匹でも逃げたら” is “even if only one of them escapes”
でも is “even only” here
たら is the conditional form
The second part, “大変なことになるからな” it will be very bad for us"
technically “ことになる” can be considered a grammar point, but I find it much more logical if you take the parts at face value 大変なこと is a very bad thing, so it will be a very bad thing

not exactly sure, how to describe what から and な is doing exactly at the end
な as far as I can tell is just emphasis here, but no clue about the exact role of から.

7 Likes
から

I looked what came up with からな online, and from what I understood, it’s the same から used for causes, but the second half might be implicit. So “if even one escape, it will become bad, you know why”. I can imagine that the hidden half could be “it will be bad because they could multiply”
Looks very conversational to me. Probably the kind that’s not easy to grasp for learners. I tried to come up with an explanation but I’m only speculating

3 Likes

Not sure about this, the から sentence is the “because” sentence, so at best this would be “Because it will be bad, if …”, but I don’t think that’s happening here.
Maybe から here acts more like “so” here, with an implied “so don’t let them escape”, which of course is obvious from the first part, so it’s left out.

3 Likes

That’s right, the から sentence is the ‘because’ sentence.

In this case, it gives the reason for the sentence immediately before it:
「細菌は一匹も逃がすな!」

Don’t let even one bacterium escape!

一匹でも逃げたら大変なことになるからな!
Because if even one single beastie escapes, it will be very bad!

Vocabulary:
細菌(さいきん)(n) bacterium, germ
~匹(ひき・びき・ぴき)(ctr) counter for small animals
逃げる(にげる)(vi) to escape, to run away
逃がす(にがす)(vt) to let (something) escape
逃がすな! = Don’t let it escape!

10 Likes

Week 2 thread is where it is supposed to be! Give it a visit

3 Likes

sorry it’s been a while! I managed to finish week ones part. (just have a couple of cards to make for parts/words that interest me still :grin:)

sorry it took me a while but I just have to say thank you @polv! Regulatory T cell and T helper cell have been added and it makes my heart very happy! :sparkling_heart:

one thing I did see was 熱すぎず寒すぎず (pg6) which translates to not too hot, not too cold as far as I can tell. I wondering how the grammar works and if it can be used for other things like " not to tall, not too short" Grammar wise I’m assuming すぎ is the same すぎ for when something is over done/ too much (eg. 熱すぎる would be too hot) but the ず at the end of the 熱すぎず is some casual way of making it a negative (so “not too hot”) Anyway, that’s just my guess! I found it interesting and wondered if other people had a clearer view on it.

Anyway!! Sorry for the late chapter msg and see yall on next weeks chapter :slight_smile:

3 Likes