Causative usage of くれる・もらう・あげる

こんにちわみなさま!
Hi everyone, hope you’re all well.
I’ve got my Japanese first year exam in a week and I’m wondering about when to use the causative form with the giving and receiving verbs.

So I understand the two types of causative basic sentence patterns ok.
Type 1:
Sは Oを Verb Causative - so subject makes object do…
Sは S2に Oを Verb Causative - Subject makes S2 do verb to O
Type 2:
Sは Oに Verb Causative - Subject lets O do verb.
(Sは S2に Oに VC - Subject lets S2 do verb to O) This is my first question :wink:

Hopefully what i’ve written is correct, but the bit in brackets is what I think is wrong in my notes.

My first question is with type 2 if you wanted to say S lets S2 do verb to an Object, does the object take を or に because in my notes it says に but in the past I used that and got it wrong, so I’m not too sure what particle the object takes with type 2.

My second question is when using te form with the giving and receiving verbs, do you only use it when 私 is the subject or the object. So if the speaker is not involved in the sentence then the giving/receiving verbs are omitted.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, hopefully this makes sense.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smiley:

It’s blowing my mind that people study Japanese grammar in English like this.

I’m going to say the answer to your first question is を. This would be much easier if you just wrote an example and asked which particle fits. If you have one, please reply with it.

Again, if you could write some examples of your second question, it would be easy to answer. Not sure what you are looking for.

I’m studying for N1, and your question looks like a math problem to me, so I’m not even going to try.

1 Like

haha ok ok, this is just how I make my notes, but I guess looking again at it, if you’re not used to the style it can be a bit confusing. I have to be really precise with grammar, and I don’t like getting below a 2.1 so i go a bit overboard.

The bit I’m stuck on is knowing when to use くれる もらう あげる with the causative tense.
For example :wink:
私は子供の時、母は私に公園によく行かせました。
So when I was little, my mum often let me go to the park.
So I just made that sentence up so there may be an error, but assuming it makes sense if i was to add てくれる to the end would that still hold the same meaning.

Don’t let English be a crutch for you. Much easier to study in Japanese as you go forward.

So you are asking if you can use 行かせてくれた? Yes, you can.

Putting 行かせてくれる into google gives Weblio as the first entry. It has many examples:

1 Like

in reply to my annoyingly complicated question:
I meant the S as subject, O as object, S2 as Subject 2
So 私は弟に玉を拾わせてあげました。would be an example sentence structure.

This is sorta how my lecturer teaches most grammar constructs.

You let your brother pick up the ball? Look grammatically sound to me. Definitely need that を. You could leave out 私, as it’s implied, thus simplifying the sentence.

1 Like

I don’t know if i can bring a constructive reply but :
A : Subjet or theme
B : the one doing the action
N : something
Transitive verbs 他動詞 :
A が B に Nを V-させる
This one is tricky bcuz it can means “someone let me do something”, like an authorisation.
But it can also mean “someone ‘forced’ me to do something”.
here are the exemples in the order, so you guess by the context.
母親が娘に家事を手伝わせる

両親が子供にゲームをさせる

alright ?

Intransitive verbs are easier 自動詞
Aが Bに Vさせる this one is the “ok” causative
Aが Bを Vさせる this one is the “forced” one

check the difference :

母親が子供に買い物に行かせる
first case the mother let the children go
母親が子供を買い物に行かせる
second case the mother make them go, wether they agree or no

my mnemotechnical key : Ni sounds like yes so this is the authorisation
wo sounds like no, the forced one.

hope this could help.

2 Likes

ye, that’s pretty much cemented all rules in my head. Simply the を and に particle are important for the meaning of the sentence.
ありがとうございまして!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.