Care to break this down for me? (できるようにすることが)

Hey, guys. I see “できるようにすることが” often and was wondering if someone could explain it’s meaning to me?

できる - able
ようにする - like/similar to (??)
ことが - nominalization

How do all of these connect?

1 Like

Do you have an example for a full sentence using this?

As it is, I’d translate it as “the thing to do so (pronoun) would be able to do this is […]”.

ように can be translated as “so that X”.

4 Likes

The ことが can either be nominative or the beginning of a contradiction, depending on the sentence. So an example would definitely be helpful!

3 Likes

@konekush
@raephe
Oof, my bad, guys…

From todays NWE reading: 病気を治す方法を研究して、しっかり検査ができるようにすることが必要です」と話しています。

3 Likes

できる to be able to
ようにする to try to do
こと (nominalizer)
が (particle)
必要 Is necessary/needed

So… “[we] need to try to be able to [test for the virus]”

5 Likes

For sentences like this, it helps to identify the individual parts. Use the particles to help you. First part: 病気を治す means “to cure a/the disease.” Second part: 方法を研究して means “research a method, and.” Now put those two together: To cure the disease, research a method and OR To research a method to cure the disease and (in English syntax). Third part: しっかり検査が means “a reliable examination/test.” Fourth part: 検査ができる means “can be tested reliably” and 検査ができるようにする means "make sure a reliable test can be performed” and 検査ができるようにすることが means “The ability to performance a reliable test.” Fifth part: 必要です means “is necessary.” Put everything together now. “It is necessary to research a method to cure the disease and to make sure a reliable test can be performed.”

That’s how I break down and translate complicated sentences. I find Google Translate to be very helpful. I just start with the first part and keep going until I know what it all means. I hope that you find this explanation useful.

2 Likes

Oh, I do this as well. I recommend this method to all of us here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.