人生はバナナのようなものさ。 どれだけ長いのか誰も知らないのさ。 — Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

banana

人生はバナナのようなものさ。どれだけ長いのか誰も知らないのさ。— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

Vocab
人生 LV.3 : One’s Life. 人 (Person) + 生 (Life).

バナナ: That’s what “banana” looks like in katakana🍌

もの: Thing. It could also be written with the kanji 物, but the hiragana is common too.

どれだけ: How (long/much). Similar to どれくらい or どのくらい, it’s a common expression to ask someone the quantity, amount, measurement, etc.

長い LV.6: Long.

誰 LV.43: Who.

知る LV.6: To Know.

Let’s break it down!

人生は

The particle は marks the subject, which is 人生 in this case.

バナナのようなものさ

〜のような works as a simile such as “like 〜” in English.
So, バナナのようなもの is “A thing like a banana.”
さ is a sentence ending particle with an optimistic nuance.

どれだけ長いのか

どれだけ is used to ask the measurement or amount, and the following 長い specifies that the speaker is asking about the length — “how long.”
〜のか (or sometimes it’s just 〜か) is used for the end of question clauses. Without this, it doesn’t work as a clause in Japanese⚠️

誰も知らないのさ

誰, meaning “who” turns into “nobody” when followed by a negative verb. It’s the same thing that happened to the sentence in my past post 何も知らない.
の and さ are sentence ending particles. With these, you can sound like our symbolic nomad, Snufkin from Moomin — actually that’s how he talked in the Japanese translated/dubbed version! It’s got some optimistic, but also philosophical vibes — makes this sentence sound like a quote with a philosophical depth.

Answer:white_flower:
Reading: じんせい は バナナ のようなものさ。どれだけ ながい のか だれも しらないのさ。
Meaning: Life is like a banana, you never know how long it will be.

Exercise:pencil2::nerd_face:
What do you think 人生 is like? Answer in Japanese!
Bonus points if you also answer with the reason😉

24 Likes

でもバナナの長さは外見でわかるでしょう?

13 Likes

バナナじゃないなら
意味がないのさ
だからぁー
はるかかなた〜

1 Like

難しいです!どう考えても、人生はバナナと何の関係もありません・・・

2 Likes

バナナのようなもの?とても面白い隠喩ですね。私にとって、人生は読んだことがない本のようなものです。なぜなら、次のページに進む前に、何が起こるのか誰も知らないからです。

2 Likes

人生は海のようなものさ。行ける方向が一万のさ。:compass:

2 Likes

人生は鏡みたい。回すだけと違いことが見えます。

Life is like a mirroir. You only need to turn it a little to see things in a completely different angle.

3 Likes

I regret the fact that I am indeed able to read and understand these sentences.

本物の長さは途中で出会った友達という意味かも。

1 Like

whoa bro, don’t think too much, just feel it!

アジカン😊♪

深く考えすぎないで🙈!笑

三人とも、人生観がとても深くてびっくりしました👏 哲学者みたい!

5 Likes

人生は空のようなものち。
それは美しいです。雨が降っても。

1 Like

人生はサンドイッチのようなものさ。始まりも、終わりもあるのに、フィリングを決定するのは君の次第だ。(^-^)

2 Likes

なるほど☔️
Life is beautiful♪

:sandwich:

My sandwich will be made out of rice and the filling will be some delicious sashimi for sure.

Sushi, but in a sandwich form…:thinking:

1 Like

人間の人生は桜に似ている。綺麗だし、喜び気分だらけ、けど短期間続くだけということだ。

1 Like

じせはバナナのようなものさ。どれだけながいのかもしらないのさ。

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.