Can you match the old kanji form to its modern version? (Quiz)

I think most people are aware that many kanji have been modified over time, for a variety of reasons. But some people might not be aware how drastic some of the updates have been. For each old version, I’ve given 3 choices.

image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image

48 Likes

Wow, that’s really amazing! I knew 4 and 7 already (thank you, Taiwan!) and I guessed 8 correctly because of the similarity in meaning, but just from looking at the shapes I could not figure out any of the others. That was fun, thank you!

16 Likes

edit: oops, not intended to be a reply

6/13, just a bit better than pure chance

10 Likes

They really don’t look anything like the modern versions. I guessed 3 out of 13, of which I only knew one (I’ve seen number 10 before when reading about kanji simplification), so that’s basically pure random (even slightly worse actually). I get why they simplified them though, those older ones are just way too many strokes to write out.

8 Likes

7/13
missing: 5,6,9,10,11,13

5 Likes

I was pretty sure I’d seen 4 and 7 before, and 8 sort of made sense. Tried to deduce the rest, some went well some didn’t :sweat_smile: in total I got 7/13

5 Likes
8/13

1B y
2C n
3A y
4A n
5B n
6C n
7C y
8A y
9C n
10C y
11B y
12C y
13A y

I have to say, great job on finding those other answers, I have fallen for them many times :sweat_smile:

Either I found a pattern in the end, or I subconsciously just chose the ones that looked the least like their predecessor.
Mostly tried to look at what the radicals together would imply, and see if one of the kanji got anywhere close to that meaning.

8 Likes

3/13

Mostly pure guessing though =P

Really surprised with the Yen kanji… I personally don’t think the old one was that bad… But eh, what do I know :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

5 Likes

1 is my favorite. It’s not even a simplification, someone went “first I draw this… OK, I can’t be bothered, I’m done.”

5 Likes

I got 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 11 correct (some guessed, some I knew).

Fun quiz, thanks Leebo!

3 Likes

Pretty much how I got them, too! Except got 11 from the meaning as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh, now I see, plenty of bones :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I knew 6 without looking at the answers, and got 10 correct in total.
Should’ve known 廣 and 圓 without checking… You see 圓 (and also 萬) pretty frequently at temples and shrines.

5 Likes

2/13, just a bit worse than pure chance

what does that say about my knowledge tho

:scream:

6 Likes

4/13, but only because I had seen in some other thread before.
When i got one right i thought I had somehow figured out a system and then the next one would throw me totally off again. ^^’

2 Likes

Haha, that was the part of the process that was the most fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

6/13 - I am apparently a lucky guesser. I found I had best success when looking at the meanings/radicals as opposed to what I figured the resultant simplified shape would be.

3 Likes

Got some of those from radicals, but some of them because I’d already come across them in the Let’s Decipher Stylised Kanji thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

10/13, missed 6, 10, and 12.

I actually knew a good handful of them, and then had a couple lucky guesses here and there. Way better than I expected to do, either way.

4 Likes

7/13 - I did much better than I thought I would, although most of them were educated guesses.

4 was the one I was most sure of thanks to Taiwanese Chinese, but there were some others that I was also familiar with. I definitely need to get more familiar with the old forms since I’m always so confused when trying to read inscriptions at shrines or on statues

2 Likes