Can you help me with my japanese project

Yep that’s exactly what I was thinking of. Just like with the negative conjugations, but I’ve used でした and ではありません so little in recent years I started to question whether they could actually be used like this. I’m studying for N3 but maybe it wouldn’t hurt to break out genki and have a flip through again…

Wouldn’t このパーティーでもちが多かった work better?
And could you use は instead of で? このパーティーはもちが多かった having a bit of a brain fart, should it be では?

I’d actually probably go for 沢山のもちがあります/ありました but that doesn’t seem to be the point of this exercise…

Surely you’re not implying い-adjectives are actually verbs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is how I originally grammatically used で before I changed the sentence to ある. But thinking about it I’m not entirely sure if it’s valid. For other verbs such as saying “I ate a lot of mochi at this party”, you would use で as このパーティーで多くのもちを食べた but I don’t know about the copula.

Yep は is very flexible.

I would use the same, or maybe いっぱい since I’ve heard it used pretty liberally. Also, たくさん is typically just written in kana.

I realize I’m not the one you were asking but I feel very invested in this conversation.

2 Likes

Putting い adjectives at the end as the predicate is just the “usual” way of using them…since they’re actually verbs :shushing_face:
Anyway, @Shunrin’s link says the following about 多くの (emphasis mine):

Word Note : Takusan no 沢山の and ōzei no 大勢の are no -adjectival nouns that, in this situation, are slightly more natural and common than ōku no 多くの. This is because both sukunai 少ない and ōi 多い, and by default, sukoshi no 少しの and ōku no 多くの, indicate whether an amount exceeds or is below a standard amount, but if there is no standard ascertainable in context, using them becomes somewhat unnatural in contrast to words like takusan 沢山 (many) and wazuka 僅か (few), which are more emphatic.

Yeah I think the meaning is subtly different - with で you’re saying at this party, with は you’re making this party the topic, and implicitly comparing it to other parties…と思うかもしれない :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

With this example, I think you become the logical topic/subject since 食べます is describing an action that you (and not the party or the mochi) do. i.e. (僕は/が)このパーティーで沢山のもちを食べた (多い just feels wrong here to me)

I feel like いっぱい is less formal but don’t quote me. And I know, I know, I just can’t be bothered to fight the IME.

1 Like

Perish the thought!

I mean, they both conjugate and sometimes require nominalization, but they’re obviously completely different things. :wink:

But seriously, use whatever mental model works for you. As long as you keep learning, you’ll refine it along the way until it’s useful enough to be put into practice.

The one that still trips me up is when で is the て-form of the copula (だ) rather than the particle. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Not to mention they can predicate sentences…

But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s obviously a kangaroo :grin:

1 Like

Probably, yeah, but I was trying to stick to the original sentence structure.

I agree that たくさん sounds better there. Although たくさん is more flexible, so it could also be このパーティーでもちをたくさん食べた.

Don’t worry, we have all made plenty of mistakes with Japanese. I’ve definitely gotten a couple of those things wrong before myself.

2 Likes

yeah, adverbial たさん feels best to me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.