Can we have option to have na-adjectives automatically end in な

Now here me out, in some dictionaries the na-adjective (a.k.a. Adjectival nouns) end in な in dictionary form. (for example in Tuttle publishing’s Essential Japanese Grammar). I want this feature because it would make it much easier to identify na-adjectives, helping me memorize even the ones that end in い (like きれいな) which can be easy to mix up with I-adjectives, not to mention lets me not mistake them for normal nouns. After all, we already have to type “to” before all verbs.

edit: I totally meant something optional such as a script or a toggle (though I doubt the devs would bother since this is a mere gripe)

There are only a few na-adjectives that end with i. Might as well memorise them.

7 Likes

I also said it helps me differenticate adjectival nouns from normal nouns, if you notice all na-adjectives can be used as nouns which can be confusing (for example 大丈夫) and not to mention it would helpful to identify no-adjectives which are essentially the same thing with one letter change (a->o) anyway this is a minor gripe so I’m just saying

This is not a bad idea, but you will not always use な with those words so it would be wrong to always require it. If you wanted to you could make a small script that requires those words to have な。

2 Likes

きれい has no okurigana (綺麗) so you probably will not confuse it for an い adjective.

2 Likes

My only real objection to this idea is that you’d be prioritizing the adjectival use of the word over what might be more common usages. After all, the na in na-adjectives is just a form of the copula which is only useful when linking the na-adjective directly to a noun.

And so, I’d have to say this this is a site for learning kanji, not the nuances of grammar, meaning that it’s beyond the scope of the site to give you a good overview of how the word would normally be used. (I mean, a little is good, but as you get higher up in levels, you’ll see so much inconsistency in meanings and translations that you’ll realize that it’s best to get usage advice elsewhere.)

3 Likes

(And several grammatical structures, though usually in such cases, nouns take な as well.)

Isn’t the い at the end of い-adjectives quite similar to that though? I always found it a little strange that they’re tought as a complete predicate while な-adjectives aren’t, which can be kind of confusing.
Sure, い-adjectives have a few more usages that way, but still :thinking:

You don’t need to replace the い with anything to use an い adjective as a predicate. It’s just “as is.” You can’t do that with な at the end of a な adjective.

Yeah, but couldn’t you say you need to add い to 美味し and だ to 淫ら to make it a predicate?
It always seems to me like “the stems of adjectives” (is that a thing?) conjugate quite similarly while adding different things.

My language school’s own vocabulary app does require you to input な with all な-adjectives. I think it is good practice. So, I wouldn’t object if WK did require it. A script might be a good idea (if it suddenly became a site-wide change, a lot of people’s percentages would drop, I guess!)

At the very least they share the difference in that you don’t need to add anything to use な adjectives as a predicate in casual speech. You can just not use だ. You can’t do the same, removing the い from an い adjective and retain the same effect.

2 Likes

Well, to be fair…

They may not be used as predicate like that, but you hear shortened I adjectives all the time in exclamations. Like, あつ、さむ、うま. Usually with an imaginary little っ at the end there, though.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.