Can someone explain this あのあと to me?

I’m lost

1 Like
Not sure this will be any help, but this is my interpretation

Something like, “after (witnessing) Lord Joestar’s words and actions that time 20 years ago I am (still) moved to tears :sob:” I’m guessing? あのあと is “after that” right?, so this seems plausible to me, but my grammar is barely N5 so what you’re confused about is probably above my pay grade:p

3 Likes

Hard without context, as always. My first guess is that some significant event happened 20 years ago; that (immediately) after that Joestar made some significant act or speech, that that act is something we/the people this guy is addressing and so it’s something we can refer to with あの. But without any context I have the framework and no concrete idea what’s being referred to.

5 Likes

Haha sorry, it was hard to give more context because the flashback is interspersed through several unrelated cutscenes, and I wasn’t sure what exactly was relevant. Your assumption about the context is correct, I’m just confused about the あのあと here. This is the same あの that precedes a noun to mean “that ” right? I’m confused why there isn’t something else after あの, like 20年前のあの事件のあとのジョースター卿…
Can you see my confusion here? Sorry, it’s hard for me to explain my confusion properly here

1 Like

Yeah, I think I see what you mean, but あと is a perfectly good noun you can attach あの to – we’re not pointing at the incident itself, but at its aftermath. Attaching あの is a bit rarer, but it’s the same as the way you can attach この or その to it, eg このあと、どうなる? – “what’s going to happen next?” and 彼女はそのあと痛みがなくなることがなかった – “She was never free from pain after that”.

4 Likes

Confusing, I’ve never seen あと used as a noun like this. I think I get it now though, thank you!

1 Like

あと is a noun, just generally, no? It can be used in a variety of ways beyond that as well, of course.

Checking what WaniKani has on their page… and realized that they don’t have an item for just 後 alone. Weird.

1 Like

I see it as “after that.” But thats just me.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s often a good translation, especially for そのあと. あのあと has the usual ko-so-a meaning difference, but in translation is probably going to end up in the same place because English only has a two-part this/that distinction.

2 Likes

Just figured I’d add that I believe あの tends to be used instead of その in relation to fairly distant memories, so that may be what’s happening here.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.