Bye Bye Hard Gay. Hello Saber

One more Office reference on the very relatable topic that offensive mnemonics work!

MercuryF

2 Likes

Yeah, I looked him up and could never find that either. I always ended up using my own mnemonics for these. And, interestingly enough, as I’ve just reset my account I realise that those mnemonics are amongst those I remember the least!

1 Like

Possibly NSFW

Another instance in same vid at 7:42

He actually seems to say Okay! and Foooo! a lot more often though.

2 Likes

It’s only a matter of time until somebody complains that “saber” is offensive because it is a weapon and promotes violence and the WK team has to come up with another mnemonic device.

8 Likes

especially if you’ve ever seen a Hard Gay skit. That せい is really pronounced.

Hard gay is forever

I always chuckle when people look down on “pop culture”. There is no such thing as “pop culture”. It’s just an artificial category that was made up by snobs. Mozart’s music was “pop culture” when he was alive. Back then when you listened to “classical music”, you were probably referring to medieval or renaissance or baroque period music (not that those categories had been invented then). Now Mozart is not regarded as “pop culture” because the snobs deem it okay to like Mozart and not okay to like rap/metal/reggae/pop.

Anything can be regarded as part of “pop culture” if you want. I could argue that cyborg is “pop culture” and demand it be removed from WK mnemonics on that ground, because there are science fiction films portraying cyborgs. That would be a ridiculous argument, but it would be valid if there were such a thing as “pop culture” (which there isn’t).

7 Likes

I’m so sick of the kids these days with their Mozart and their arpeggios. It’s not even real music! Back in my day, we listened to true classics like Gregorian chanting.

24 Likes

17 Likes

I was just wondering if German Hard Gay was gone too…

1 Like

Hard gay was confusing to me and took several steps to try and figure out what I was supposing to be remembering for the pronunciation. I had to come up with other mnemonics. Saber is immediately clear to me, and now I get to picture Sabretooth from the x-men instead.

2 Likes

A french comedian (can’t remember who that was) once said on the radio about pop culture: “Pop culture means I can read Dostoievski and then watch The Goonies.”

Not exactly a visual any of us wanted but it’s the one we needed.

1 Like

Ssshhhhh…!

1 Like

That’s the first mnemonic of せい I’ve come across since the change. I’m just going to make my own,because I’ll never remember that.

I actually understand them removing the Hard Gay mnemonic. They want to appeal to as many people as possible. That’s how business works. Having something that can easily be deemed offensive doesn’t help.

Although, I think they should have chosen something a little more memorable than ‘saber’.

1 Like

Hard Gay, you don’t know who I am, but you inspired me to learn the On’Yomi readings of various kanji, and you will forever have a special place in my heart.

I… I… I told myself I wouldn’t cry but, I love you Hard Gay senpai (/;(エ);)/. Say hello to your home world for me. I hope your voyage across the stars is peaceful and secure. If it’s not too much to ask… can I mail you a postcard when you get home?

Sei! Sei! Sei! Those were the first words I ever heard you say, and well, I guess now they mean goodbye. I’ll never forget you, ハードゲイせんぱい。

3 Likes

I’ve always tried to find my own mnemonic for sei.

These two rather unknown artists have been helpful:

5 Likes

For all of you still moaning about political correctness (as if being considerate to other people is so terribly hard), perhaps you didn’t read further down Hard Gay’s wikipedia page?

He has been criticised for his stereotypical depiction of gay men and for building a career on using bizarre and extreme antics to “parody” a social minority. A spokesperson for the Hokkaido Sexual Minority Association Sapporo Meeting, a support group for gay, lesbian and transgender people, has said: “Hard Gay’s acceptance by the Japanese public shows me that there is a strong tendency here to see homosexuality as something to be laughed at. That is sad.”

tl;dr - Hard Gay is offensive, and I for one am glad he’s gone from WK as an official mnemonic aid.

9 Likes

Stop talking down to people. I’m a gay man and I liked the Hard Gay mnemonics. Part of the appeal of WK/TF has always been that they’re a bit nutty/absurd/silly, and that tends to help with retention of mnemonics for a lot of people. The stereotypical depiction joked about with the “Hard Gay” character is not even a stretch compared to a lot of gay men that I know. It’s just a joke, and believe it or not, plenty of gay men aren’t so fragile and need saving that we can’t take a joke. When I saw they had changed it, I nearly made a joking (read: not serious) comment decrying Wanikani for “straightwashing” WaniKani by removing those mnemonics to point out how anything you say or do these days could potentially be offensive to someone, even when you’re trying not to. “Political correctness” is more than simply “being considerate”, as you claim. It’s a mentality that supposes itself to be a moral authority and tries to force others to accept ever-changing standards defined by a subculture of the population about what is offensive and what is not. It is politics, as its name very clearly states. People are entitled to decide for ourselves what words and ideas warrant sensitivity or censorship, rather than be forced, bullied, or “shamed” by others as to what we should and shouldn’t be offended by. We don’t need other people making that decision for us, or talking down from a pedestal because they are sensitive about different things (spoiler: everyone is), and if you’re really “considerate to other people” you’ll realize that and learn to respect that there are views aside from your own, and that changing everything to be “non-offensive” is an endless slippery slope. The only effective personal solution (that doesn’t involve thought-policing the speech and actions of others) is to build the self-discipline to not let every little thing that rubs you the wrong way get to you.

10 Likes