m(_ _)m

I have the Japanese Guide.

https://maistar.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-6674.html

4 Likes

I’ll be here if I can manage :pray:

1 Like

Since when did switch have books?

1 Like

Looking at both Japanese guides and picked a route at random, and they don’t seem to have the same choices noted down for the same route. :crazy_face:

But then looking closer. Seems there are two potential good end routes, one leading to ăƒĄăƒąăƒ©ăƒ“ăƒȘケ/memorabilia (CGs?) #28 and the other to #29, and it seems one guide picks one version as the normal/“correct” route and the other one as the additional, and the other guide picks opposite. xD (Neither guide called the other a bad end, those where shown separately.)

Both guides also shows where to save and how to get bad ends. Pretty cool.

Meaning there might be some picking involved. I wonder how much difference are between these things. Maybe having a week for bad endings and alternative path for each route would be a good idea. Obviously depending on how long the additional content is.

The way I see it. What we need to vote on right now is which route to do first, and what to do about bad endings and getting all ăƒĄăƒąăƒ©ăƒ“ăƒȘケ, aka whether we will put that into the schedule or not. Basically, we’ll preliminarily pick for our first path, see how it goes and feel free to change our minds if things doesn’t turn out to work that way.

Is there something I’m missing? (I’ll make the poll(s) later.)

Edit: Also to vote on how to choice the main path of two different ones lead to the same good ending (but different ăƒĄăƒąăƒ©ăƒ“ăƒȘケ).

Also to note, we will have to be a bit flexible about amount per week. Without knowing how long each chapter is, it will be hard to plan exactly. So just know that we’ll probably need to adjust as we go.

Meaning we might say, let’s do chapter 2 in one week, and as we start reading the chapter just goes on and on and on, and somewhere we have to say “eh maybe we need to two weeks”, and maybe another time we’ll notice a chapter is really short. And maybe that’ll work as catch up week for those behind, or if caught on the first day, maybe we’ll add a bit more to read.

2 Likes

This is a visual novel. A kind of video game that is mostly a book. I’ll let @Daisoujou explain from the main club thread:

Visual novels exist at the intersection of books and videogames, often on the PC but sometimes on videogame consoles as well. They are written stories that always feature at minimum the written text, accompanying music, and images. They often but not always also include things like voice acting, multiple choices (which lead to different routes, with a full playthrough of a visual novel often involving seeing all of said routes), and occasionally even some gameplay elements. Games you may be familiar with like Danganronpa, Ace Attorney, and 13 Sentinels sort of sit on the edge of being considered the most game-y that visual novels reach.

2 Likes

So it’s like a 2d video game, but you don’t really have a choice in what you do?

2 Likes

A choice is the one thing you often (but not always) do have. You familiar with choose your own adventure books? It’s like that, with the addition of pretty pictures and music and often voices.

3 Likes

The first choose our own adventure book I ever read was a Club Penguin one back in 1st grade that I somehow convinced my mom to buy me at a Scholastic Book Fair.

3 Likes

I loved the Goosebumps ones when I was a kid, haha. Hopefully that gets the point across, but here you can have a quick look at a video of BU$TAFELLOWS if you want.

2 Likes

It is restricted. What was the book rated?

1 Like

I think it is rated adult for some violence somewhere in the VN.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I’m signed in so I didn’t know. It is M by ESRB ratings – gun violence and drugs apparently.

1 Like

I have no problem with that, but my mom will. especially with the drugs.

1 Like

Interesting link there. I checked the length of the first chapter (the only one allowed to be on Youtube and such) and it was 3,5 hours on auto (it seemed to hold for the audio). Now I feel like I have to go check the length of some chapters of Loopers on youtube, and maybe get an idea on how long chapter 1 might be. ^^

1 Like

That’s all the way to the end of part 9 of the Loopers auto youtube play-through. Although it doesn’t seem to hold on narrative very long, and that is past the four chapters I have read of Loopers, not sure how much past.

Soooo
 I think I can say with some surety that chapter 1 of Bustafellows is a lot longer than chapter 1 of Loopers (even excluding the short prologue and going for the actual first chapter
).

Right, good to know. O_O

1 Like

I don’t think the drugs were a huge part of some of the routes
except Helvetica’s.

Would you mind spoiler-hiding the name of the route that has the drugs? :slight_smile: (You’ll find “blur spoiler” under the cog wheel) Thanks!

Worth noting though that in that Bustafellows play-through, there are weirdly long breaks between one sentence and the next, even after the audio has finished playing. Like a couple of seconds each time, whereas the Loopers one has basically no breaks at all.
I feel like that might add up quite a bit, so while chapter 1 of this is for sure a lot longer than Loopers chapter 1 :joy:, it might not be quiiite as bad as the video lengths on their own might make you believe? :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I definitely hope so! :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like