BU$TAFELLOWS 💰 (Visual Novel Book Club) // Currently Reading!

Oh and there is a common route. The choices you make in the common route decide which romance route you play. Limbo is supposed to be the poster boy but IMO he has the least interesting story.

1 Like

@Yoshimaster55 Thank you for the info! Are the chapters similar in length, did you notice? Also do you know how many chapters there are? Maybe that depends on route.

I guess I have to go looking for a spoiler free guide.

Each route has four chapters which includes the common route. I can’t recall if they are all the same length but I would imagine they would all be similar. I don’t recall any being exceptionally long. Also, the four chapters are side A which is kind of the story. After that, there is a side B which is like a small chapter that focuses on the romance.

1 Like

So after you’ve done your first route, how much overlap in story content is there in the four chapters?

Basically, the more I know, the better I/we can plan how to read this together. Really appreciate the help. :blush:

The first chapter is the same with everyone except you make different choices so there can be some slight variation in character response. After that, the story is entirely differen. There isn’t any overlap between routes.

1 Like

I haven’t played the game (that’s what I’m here for P:) but I did some investigating and found this about the structure of the game and recommended route order:

Summary

Regarding the structure, BUSTAFELLOWS ’ story is split into the common route (prologue and four chapters), romance route (sides A and B for each of the five love interests), and finale (two chapters). Which love interest one gets is determined as early as in chapter two of the common route, but players are only shown more concrete hints in the subsequent chapters with three short scenes that will change according to the romance route obtained. All romance routes are immediately available right from the first playthrough and their storylines are self-contained with no overlaps. Therefore, they can be played in any order safely. Still, considering the topics and information presented in each route, I would recommend a play order of Limbo, Scarecrow, Helvetica, Mozu, and finally Shu.
From: BUSTAFELLOWS - Review | A Gripping Roller Coaster Ride - NookGaming

I have also found a slightly different route order recommended: Limbo ► Shu ► Helvetica ► Mozu ►Scarecrow, but I have no idea which is better… I mean they’re both probably fine.

It could be nice if we could do one chapter per week so 5 for the common route (prologue + 4 chapters) and 2 more per route (sides A and B), plus 2 more for the finale (whatever that means) for a total of 17. Then again 17 weeks is exactly what Loopers lasted and this game is supposed to be almost 6 times as long so… we are in trouble :smiling_face_with_tear:
I’d say we’d have to at least double those times (and that’s a reaally long time for a club but it’s still a higher pace than we’ve done before, I’m scared), but I also don’t know if the lengths of the different chapters are similar at all… VN clubs are hard :face_with_spiral_eyes:
I guess another option is to start with the common route, do one character route and depending on how long we take and how the group is feeling we can continue or sink into despair.

2 Likes

I’d combine the prologue and chapter 1, the prologue is really short (just one scene)

2 Likes

Do I understand you right to say that the common route is different between the different routes too? Because according to the info @Sylph found the common route is four chapters long. Or are you calling the common route’s four chapter as one chapter?

I’m just checking so I understand things correctly. If the different choices in the common route actually adds a lot of new content, then that would explain some of the length.

Word.

I definitely think picking one route (and we’ll vote on which one) to start will be the path. Then as we finish it, or get close to finishing it, we can start to figure out what to do about more routes, and such things.

There is also like bad endings. Which is, of course, something people can do on their own time, or if that should be part of the club. (Also like, how to know when an option leads to a quick bad end or onto another route… -.-’ ) But as I understand they unlock CGs.

I have found two different fairly spoiler free guides in English (I haven’t looked for them in Japanese yet, I wanted something I could skim quickly), one with seemingly the most critical decisions plus some guidelines on picking, the other one giving all the choices (but without context, literally just listing them).

I’ll have to look for one in Japanese though, to get the actual correct Japanese answers.

Remind me again why I nominated this? :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Here’s a japanese one from the site I usually use, this one’s also just a list of the choices as well as where to save to get the bad ends.

3 Likes

m(_ _)m

I have the Japanese Guide.

https://maistar.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-6674.html

4 Likes

I’ll be here if I can manage :pray:

1 Like

Since when did switch have books?

1 Like

Looking at both Japanese guides and picked a route at random, and they don’t seem to have the same choices noted down for the same route. :crazy_face:

But then looking closer. Seems there are two potential good end routes, one leading to メモラビリア/memorabilia (CGs?) #28 and the other to #29, and it seems one guide picks one version as the normal/“correct” route and the other one as the additional, and the other guide picks opposite. xD (Neither guide called the other a bad end, those where shown separately.)

Both guides also shows where to save and how to get bad ends. Pretty cool.

Meaning there might be some picking involved. I wonder how much difference are between these things. Maybe having a week for bad endings and alternative path for each route would be a good idea. Obviously depending on how long the additional content is.

The way I see it. What we need to vote on right now is which route to do first, and what to do about bad endings and getting all メモラビリア, aka whether we will put that into the schedule or not. Basically, we’ll preliminarily pick for our first path, see how it goes and feel free to change our minds if things doesn’t turn out to work that way.

Is there something I’m missing? (I’ll make the poll(s) later.)

Edit: Also to vote on how to choice the main path of two different ones lead to the same good ending (but different メモラビリア).

Also to note, we will have to be a bit flexible about amount per week. Without knowing how long each chapter is, it will be hard to plan exactly. So just know that we’ll probably need to adjust as we go.

Meaning we might say, let’s do chapter 2 in one week, and as we start reading the chapter just goes on and on and on, and somewhere we have to say “eh maybe we need to two weeks”, and maybe another time we’ll notice a chapter is really short. And maybe that’ll work as catch up week for those behind, or if caught on the first day, maybe we’ll add a bit more to read.

2 Likes

This is a visual novel. A kind of video game that is mostly a book. I’ll let @Daisoujou explain from the main club thread:

Visual novels exist at the intersection of books and videogames, often on the PC but sometimes on videogame consoles as well. They are written stories that always feature at minimum the written text, accompanying music, and images. They often but not always also include things like voice acting, multiple choices (which lead to different routes, with a full playthrough of a visual novel often involving seeing all of said routes), and occasionally even some gameplay elements. Games you may be familiar with like Danganronpa, Ace Attorney, and 13 Sentinels sort of sit on the edge of being considered the most game-y that visual novels reach.

2 Likes

So it’s like a 2d video game, but you don’t really have a choice in what you do?

2 Likes

A choice is the one thing you often (but not always) do have. You familiar with choose your own adventure books? It’s like that, with the addition of pretty pictures and music and often voices.

3 Likes

The first choose our own adventure book I ever read was a Club Penguin one back in 1st grade that I somehow convinced my mom to buy me at a Scholastic Book Fair.

3 Likes

I loved the Goosebumps ones when I was a kid, haha. Hopefully that gets the point across, but here you can have a quick look at a video of BU$TAFELLOWS if you want.

2 Likes

It is restricted. What was the book rated?

1 Like