Burned System is flawed

Not if the reviews on burnt items are timed in a way that you won’t have one before you burn all items (assuming you go at decent speed). For example the first burnt reviews could be every 12 months…

Sadly this doesn’t achieve what the OP (or even myself) is after, as it forces you to reset items all the way back to apprentice level, which is generally completely unnecessary and a huge waste of time. What we would like to see is just a normal SRS, that would knock down 1 or two SRS level ‘burnt’ items that weren’t that burnt after all.

Once you have burned an item, you can retire it again at any time. So yes, the item will get moved back to apprentice, but once you feel like you really know it, you don’t have to wait 6 months for it to disappear from your review queue. Just resurrect and retire as needed.

Burned items popping up every 4 months would ensure that the workload spirals completely out of control and frustrate users to the point of giving up. Speaking personally, I would have tossed this whole thing into the trash long ago and just plain given up.

I lament forgetting stuff all the time, but I also long for the first day where I call myself “done with WaniKani forever”.

At some point the world must become your SRS system.

I agree, every 4 months is a bit too often, but in the end there should just be an option and everyone could do whatever they see fit. Many people like the current system and could just leave this option disabled, or put a “0” inside, other people would like to be tested on burnt items every x months (I would put something like 12-18, for example) and should be able to do so. I can’t understand why some people seem to eager to force upon others the study method that they believe works for themselves. We are all different and learn in different ways and at different speeds. What works for some, doesn’t work for others. I am very glad that the current system works for some of you, but how is this an argument for saying that there shouldn’t be an option to change its behaviour for people that don’t find this system effective?

Same here. :slight_smile:

Or you could have selected a longer interval, or no interval at all and leave them burnt forever :wink:

I’ll repeat what some others have said / quoted me saying: I’d love to kick higher level people off WaniKani and get you reading. We have some plans to help you with this, but I’d recommend not waiting on us and just go out and start reading. Consistency in doing (at least) a little reading every day is most important if you want to see progress and lifetime burns for vocab / kanji.

Definitely makes sense.

I’m still early on with learning Japanese but one thing I know about learning in general is putting your knowledge into use. I can study the quadratic formula all day but it’s not until I put it into use many times I really remember it.
So reading, writing, speaking and listening are probably (i think) the most important part to learning Japanese.

Dump all the Kanji into Anki and set yearly intervals!!

But why? Someday you have to start using Japanese or you are not learning Japanese…your just learning an english definition of a bunch of characters.

I feel that many responders here are missing the point. I’m at level 24, and for the last few levels I’ve been burning items for which I’ve had to stare at the screen for 30 seconds to try to recall the reading and/or meaning. They are most definitely not burned, and it would help to have the option to throw those items back to Master or Enlightened.

Everyone says “Just read!!”, but that advice isn’t very useful for someone at low-20s level who simply cannot read very much yet.

Well one option is to just not do what you just described. If you see an item (that you know you haven’t seen in a long time…ie possible burn review), just get it wrong if you don’t know it immediately.
As I have been doing WK longer, I have started kinda doing this. I do my reviews really fast and either know the item immediately or let myself fail it. (only for vocab, not radicals or kanji). In this way I try to mimic the level of recognition I want to have while im reading

Huh, that’s such an obvious solution that I’m kicking myself for not thinking of it. Thank you. Still, I think it’s worthwhile to counter the mantra about “just read”, which I think isn’t feasible at the level required, for those on low-ish levels in WK.

What you say about “do reviews fast or fail” is interesting. I often wonder whether it’s better to do what you do (fail an item you don’t recall very quickly), or whether it helps in the long run to burn stuff into memory by having to think about it for 20 or 30 seconds, and finally remembering the reading/meaning/mnemonic.

fail them. this speeds up your sessions while ensuring you actually know the items. if you have to think for more than 3 seconds, you didn’t memorize them properly yet, and by speeding it up, you can cut your review times in half while doing twice as many items.

That’s funny, I find the opposite works for me. If an old item pops up that I barely even recognise, and I have to stare at it stupidly for half a minute until finally it comes back to me, I remember it better afterwards.

yeah, but for how long?

There’s plenty out there with furigana. Maybe you wouldn’t get as much kanji practice, but if you have a foundation in grammar it’s certainly feasible.

Absolutely agree. When I see kanji in the wild that I have already burned, but forget, it’s a “Oh! Right, I know that.” moment, not a “I’ve never see that, what does it mean” moment.

“just read” and not “just read when you’re lvl 60” isn’t bad advice. stick to manga with furigana at first, that solves the problem.

I guess that’s the point. Rather than anecdotal evidence, I wonder if there’s any research that concludes which approach is better in the long run. And maybe it varies for different people.