BunPro or Renshuu?

The “h” rule is easy if you pronounce them out loud. You use “an” if the h is silent, and “a” if it’s pronounced. The “n” sound is only added to separate the “a” from the noun, in cases where they’d smush together into one sound.

“An hot day” is hard to say. “A hot day” is easier and still sounds distinct.

“A hour” just sounds like “hour” but weirdly long, because the sounds blend together without the “n” sound separating them. You need to add the sound for clarity.

it is all free, for kanji, vocab and grammar (my only interest in it)

same srs.

after a while you get reviews, if wrong, they appear sooner than the correct answers.

Just go to courses and do the lessons by JLPT. Later they appear in reviews tab.

1 Like

Slightly off topic but I why is it that the interface looks so much like duolingo lol
It’s not associated with them, is it?

I have never used duolingo, dont know even where it is from.

This shirimono is from france. So I dont know if they are related.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been trying it out. It’s pretty good so far. A few errors, a few kinks in the interface, minor issues like that, nothing that bad, tho, tbh. For a relatively new (I’m guessing?) SRS website, it seems promising. Even some potentially good ideas that WK or other sites could possibly borrow from – like the built-in Hiragana/Katakana learning tools; although the tools themselves are very simple and not well-integrated into the whole system, they could be developed in that direction, and that would make a very attractive beginners-get-your-feet-wet-in-the-pool type of feature for example for a site like WaniKani. Easy to implement, could definitely attract a lot of beginners to get familiar with what WaniKani has to offer once they’re ready to start the Kanji journey.

Also, they have some slight differences in the coverage of material – noticeably, a bit more day-to-day types of kanji and vocabulary – which can be a bit refreshing actually. Overall, I like it. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

I’ve never used Duolingo either, but it’s pretty popular I gather, so it could simply be a case of borrowing what works from the big sites. A lot of Amazon-type clones started popping up all over the place once Amazon broke through the online-shopping interface barrier. (Not to hype Amazon, I’m just saying it’s a common trend for startups to borrow ideas/interfaces from already-successful competitors.)

There are lots of borderline cases, though, and different regions/dialects have their own ‘rules’ that often contradict other regions/dialects. Like the word historic, for example. Many will say “an historic occasion”, many others will say, “a historic occasion”. I was just coming up with different examples that to a non-native-English speaker would look very similar, but yet have different indefinite articles (a vs an).

[Hehe, doing a quick google search to double-check my example, I found literally whole websites dedicated to the ‘a vs an’ distinction. :smile:]

1 Like

Yeah, it’s slightly goofy because it’s a utilitarian distinction, rather than a grammatical one. They’re one of my favorite aspects of any language. “In this context, we change our grammar rule, because otherwise it sounds stupid.” Every language has 'em! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the fresh input folks. I’ve been using Renshuu and prefer it. I’m using the free version for now, but I’ll probably subscribe at some level later to support the creators.

Although BunPro has direct links to grammar resources with more in depth explanation, I can search the same expressions on my own.

Like someone said before, Renshuu is more rounded. It has grammar, kanji, vocab, writing, and counter practice all at the free level. I particularly like the regular haiku and question prompts that you can free form reply to and get feedback from other users on. I think the counter punch is also particularly useful for both learning what the counter words apply to (for example, it took me way to long to figure out that plastic bags use 枚) and also practicing which and how counters change with certain numbers.

As for Renshuu Pro (paid), it has listening, JLPT style sentence ordering, vocab in context, crosswords, and even pitch accent practice. Pretty much the only thing it doesn’t have is speaking practice. For that, you can use Speechling, another free resource with paid options.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.