Bunpro Lifetime

It gives me a structure where I can learn things at a pace I choose and then makes sure I review the things I’ve learnt by intervals. That way, I can identify if there’s a concept I seem to know less well and go back to training that concept more.

Before, my grammar approach was more “read a lot of material in bursts and then don’t remember to review them”. I usually have about 5-10 reviews per day in Bunpro, which is not a lot and makes it easy to get into and keep up the habit of studying grammar.

I’m sure there are Anki decks or similar that attempts or even accomplishes the same thing, but what I like about Bunpro is the minimum amount of hassle setting things up, so that I can focus on learning instead of setting up a system that makes me learn. I personally rather spend money than time on things like this, since I happen to have more of the former than the latter.

One analogy would be building your own computer, compared to buying a finished one. Building your own is cheaper and might even perform better if you’re good at what you do, but it takes a lot more time than just buying a finished one. Some people enjoy building their own computers, I just like using them.

9 Likes

furigana can be turned on and off.

1 Like

Man, I need to be more like you. Some days I do something crazy like 45+ reviews and I noticed I had about 10-15 leeches. I stopped doing lessons until my “reviews in the next day” are around the 10-15 mark and I started addressing those leeches one by one.

I think my grammar is pretty good for my level - I can conjugate ~masu ~te ~nai and ~teimasu verb forms, together with ~i and ~na adjectives.

I just can’t read kanji very well yet.

My class finishes in 3 weeks and I think Bunpro might be something I could use over the summer to tide me over until I start again in September, but I want to be able to jump right in without worrying about my kanji proficiency.

1 Like

Since grammar points are, in general, a bit more work to learn than just vocab I feel like going slower is okay. I could probably do more though, but I’m not being as intense about my studies right now, mostly just keeping up habits.

So I guess step one for being more like me is… be lazier :smile:

4 Likes

Got lifetime as soon as it became available. Knowing my pace, lifetime is better for me than other subscriptions + I really wanted to support them =))

1 Like

I got it as well - I’d already paid most of it in voluntary support by that point. I’m finding it really useful as grammar is the main thing that was stopping me from understanding books at this point

3 Likes

Oh ok… I get what your saying. My kanji reading is also low at the moment, and i’m finding it easy enough there are furigana and English to help you understand the sentences. Then when you get to a point where you feel more comfortable you can hide it. I also found the sentences great for shadowing.

and ya having this grammar SRS over the summer would be helpful I think… can’t hurt right :slight_smile:

have a great summer :wink:
374b626c8104355b2ee520e790fcf4e1

2 Likes

hehe, thanks! great pic!

1 Like

I just got mine, thanks for posting this, reminded me that it was happening.

1 Like

I’ve been holding off for a little bit, but I just caved today. Thanks for the reminder! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got it yesterday.

2 Likes

I got lifetime too. I haven’t used Bunpro a lot yet, but I’m looking very much forward to getting more active. While I have learned quite a lot of grammar over the years, a structured approach with SRS is exactly what I need now (like WaniKani for kanji).

2 Likes

Will probably get it as well, once I am back home after a short vacation. Really excited to see this site go far.

1 Like

I used it but idk it doesn’t work how i hope it would. Ill mess around with the free parts but I don’t think it’s worth any money. It’s still in a early stage and need lot of improvement to teach grammar corrrectly. One thing I worry is it’s like a go fund me where you may invest the cost of the lifetime and the project may just end in a year and the website close down. I’m sure the author is putting in a lot of effort and doing the best they can. I’m not a expert on Japanese by no mean but I’ll rather learn grammar a different way then how bunpro is set up. Would be neat if it had me type out sentences based off a grammar topic and test if I’m right. Such as here are the nouns and adjectives in Japanese make a sentence with this that induces these grammar topics. Something like that, have to remember the grammar and verb conjugation but would just give us the nouns because it’s not really there to teach noun vocabulary as much.

Yes, of course. Bunpro is my favourite Japanese learning tool and I only use that plus Wanikani. I don’t bother with the links usually. I am about a third of the way through the second level, but I get a lot wrong.

1 Like

Oh, Bunpro doesn’t “teach” jack, it’s a tool for reviewing and organizing grammar points. It was built from the ground up pointing to external sources such as Genki, Tae Kim, Japanese Ammo, etc. You’re supposed to learn elsewhere and use Bunpro to practice, and I think it’s amazing for that purpose. Sure, you can learn “mechanics” of a grammar by using their system but all nuance of usage will be lost.

1 Like

I bought the lifetime subscription a while ago, very soon after it got available. I had already donated a bit earlier so it wasn’t that expensive anymore and it seems like an OK enough deal.

Now if only that would mean I would use it consistently…
I think I had enabled too many grammar points at once and now I’m overwhelmed. I’ll probably reset and start from scratch but that is what lifetime subscriptions are for anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did a bit of that too, but I just stopped adding new grammar points and went back to the suggested reading. It took the better part of last month but I got things back in order now.

That’s a way of looking at it. I am currently working though genki and few other resources. While bunpro may not work for me I’m sure some find it useful. Would be nice if they offered a free membership that had advertisements and have paid membership as a premium with no ads and extra features. Trying to integrate grammar points with SRS does seem like a challenge. I’m still early on with Japanese so I can’t really comment on what’s the best way to learn or practice grammar. So far genki has been straight forward in teaching grammar for me.