Breakfast at last!

A big thank you to Wanikani. Now I know how to open my milk in the morning!
I just thought to share this for learners who don’t live in Japan. Some good beginners’ kanji on this pack.

26 Likes

glad to hear that.

to be honest I think we just have to follow the images it’s pretty simple :rofl:
but I always wonder will it safe to just close the pack and put into fridge. Probably not very hygienic

~~
for me my biggest achievement was knowing how to open an onigiri

5 Likes

oh my god what the hell the milk here is so lame in comparison it’s just a transparent bag consider me disappointed

2 Likes

We used to have this kind of milk packaging back in the 90’s, and I can tell you, we kept it in the fridge even after opened. Never thought twice about it.

2 Likes

I have been seriously reading Japanese for a few months now and still having this gut feeling of OMGOVERWHELMED when I see a bunch of Japanese text that I actually want to understand. Please someone tell me I am not the only one.

Thanks @Berkjrain20 for that little practice!

EDIT: How about a book reading club for that package of milk?

5 Likes

You’re not alone :joy_cat: I‘ve read more than a dozen books by now (I mean real novels and stuff) and sometimes when I look at some dense Japanese text on Wikipedia, or a J-J dictionary, or something like that, I can feel my mental block build up and I think „OMG this is Japanese! NOBODY can read that crazy stuff!“ and then I get to laugh at myself :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Oh, old school milk packages. We’ve had those in Sweden for ages. Not just for milk either. Now there’s a twist cap instead! ^^ (makes it possible to put your milk in the fridge lying down after being opened).

1 Like

北海道💗

Yup, definitely a benefit when you have limited refrigerator space, although I do wonder about the environmental costs.
It also makes it a bit of a pain to recycle. We don’t have plastic recycling in my house, so I save all my (rinsed out) milk cartons for a few weeks so that I can bring them all down to the recycling place down the street in one go; I often grab one or two empty milk cartons before finding the “real” one :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been wondering about that as well. :thinking: But, the new design on milk packages are possible to recycle as well. I rinse and let air dry everything and then bring it all to the recycling center nearby (metal, plastics, milk cartons etc going in separate bins).

1 Like

Old school? :joy: This is still the standard here. Although we do have those with the plastic cap, as well. I tend to buy the cheapest milk so those do not.

1 Like

I’m joking. But, yeah, they’ve been phased out completely more or less for the new screw cap design. You’ll have to search to find them now. I think the change started around 10 years ago? It’s not that long ago.

Yeah, I also think the transition started about ten years ago; I vaguely recollect that the grocery store in my student housing area didn’t have ecological milk with a plastic cap, so I begrudgingly had to buy non-ecological milk because I couldn’t store milk vertically in my refrigerator :stuck_out_tongue:

I think a lot of smaller brands still use the regular tear opening, though.
… and I really hope that kissel (or whatever fruktkräm is called) still comes in all-carton packaging; I haven’t eaten it in years, but I feel that pouring it through a misshapen opening is an important part of the experience.

1 Like

:joy:

Sure is! :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.