Bravefoot’s Study Journal

:muscle:

3 Likes

Ok, I feel ready to finally click that button and officially get back into WaniKani! Let’s see what I can still remember :grimacing::v:

5 Likes

Best of luck to you! :cat2:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Friday update time!

WANIKANI:
Haven’t made much exciting progress, just trying to work through those reviews and lower the number of items in the Apprentice count before I start on new ones.

READING:
Finished reading my third manga! I felt like this was so, SO much more successful compared to the previous two. I could understand much more (but still not as much as I would have liked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), I didn’t use the translator as much, and the reading felt like it went more smoothly in general…

GRAMMAR:
No news on grammar, I currently do not have the time to seriously get back into it…

LISTENING:
Listening… What is that?

WRITING:
learned (and learned to write) a new kanji from the manga I read. It’s quickly become my favourite :star_struck:

7 Likes

Friday update!

Still getting through that backlog of items in the Apprentice and Guru stages, plus a plethora of stuff that I’ve forgotten and so get knocked down to Apprentice…

I think it might take me at least another week, possibly two, before I’ll feel comfortable to start new lessons again :upside_down_face: Consequently, it’s kinda boring to keep up with it, but I am determined :triumph:

7 Likes

頑張りましょう!

My life schedule has intensified a bit which led to a backlog quickly building up. We can do this!

3 Likes

What’s your method for reading manga in Japanese? It takes me forever lol. Like maybe 20min per page?

3 Likes

Maybe you just need more practice or content with more vocabulary/grammar you know?

3 Likes

そうですか :sob: Good luck to you too :triumph::muscle:

That’s exactly the same thing for me :smiling_face_with_tear: (but can take less, depending if the page has words/grammar I already know, or not much text.)
I agree with @UInt2048 there.

I basically just… Get on with it. It’s painful using dictionaries and the translator every other second, but I think there’s no other method :sweat_smile:
I’m hoping that, as I keep levelling up in WaniKani and learning grammar, it will get easier.

P.S.: if you follow a series, it gets much easier in subsequent volumes as you get used to the way the mangaka writes and what terms they use. For not confident readers, I personally would suggest to find a series at an appropriate level, and stick with it for some time :blush:

2 Likes

I heard someone on hear read Harry Potter in Japanese. Took them MONTHS

2 Likes

Yeah, I have no confidence to start any novels yet because it would also take me AGES. I’d probably drop it due to frustration or getting bored of it after a couple of weeks…

That’s why for now I am just trying my hand at manga :laughing:

1 Like

Friday update:

Managed to get my Apprentice items under control!

However, the Guru items are pretty high :grimacing:
So I guess another week is passing of me just doing reviews :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

Friday update:

Still doing reviews 2 to 4 times a day!

I believe I am getting there and, fingers crossed, Monday I will finally start on new lessons again after nearly 1 year! Very excited :blush:

Also, I started Adventures in Japanese for my grammar. Once upon a time, my first try at tackling grammar was with Genki, but it didn’t really work for me. Subsequently, I’ve tried many other methods (flashcards, websites, dictionaries, etc…) and nothing really stuck…

But, I’m hoping this latest book will work out. Only time will tell :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Friday update:

Finally, I have started lessons again! :tada:

Things are again on track and I’m feeling good :blush:

Adventures in Japanese… Is going ok-ish… Most of the time I either completely forget to go on it, or I don’t have the energy/time… But I did ‘finish’ the first chapter (you know, the one where they teach hard stuff like hiragana, katakana and 「おはよう」…)

3 Likes

Wow, you were so precise with your timing today matching last week’s…

3 Likes

Hahaha, sometimes I impress even myself :relieved:

It’s probably because I come here specifically around this hour every night :thinking:

3 Likes

Friday update:

Everything’s going fine :blush: Experimenting a bit with which time seems the best to do lessons in… Still trying to find that sweet spot :triumph:

If everything stays on course, I should finally be able to level up by next Friday’s update! Very excited :blush:

4 Likes