Bravefoot’s Study Journal

I’m glad to see you again, I was wondering where you’d hidden yourself :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you very much! September-December were crazy times. Bad things kept happening one after the other, but now it’s settled down a bit, so I feel more comfortable to start WK again =D

It’s called CollaNote! I downloaded it for my Uni because I wanted to reduce the amount of paper I use when taking notes, but now I use it more for my Japanese :rofl:

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your notes. It looks really good, I think. Is it possible to change orientation of the paper in that app? Then you can even learn how to write essays writing top-down :slight_smile: (… there are couple of rules with spaces and stuff when writing top-down.)

Feedback

If you like, I have some minor remarks. Feel free to ignore them or double check with another durtle or Japanese native if possible as I am only a Japanese learner myself :slight_smile:

First sentence: proposal:

• either: 日本で寿司を食べたい
  • or: 日本に寿司を食べに行きたい

The second sentence sounds pretty strong. In a conversation I’d definitively be curious why you are prohibited to go there the next day. → Do you know about koto ga dekiru ? Maybe you can say something like:

• 明日とても忙しいから、行くことができない。

Also in the next sentence you used an indicator for future (asatte) and past tense together. Unfortunately you can’t do that in Japanese. You have to use present tense here :slight_smile:

Oh, and do you know about the “sentence a day challenge” we have here in the forums? You can join there if you like. Durtles also give feedback if you ask for it.

welcome back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Brave-foot I caught you!

angrily shouts incessantly

2 Likes

I have no idea why I never received a notification for your reply??? That, or I never saw it / forgot to reply… Either way, so very sorry for this VERY late response :scream::scream::scream:

Thank you! I just have fun with it :grin: And yeah, I just tried now to write with the paper in landscape mode! Definitely feels more ‘Japanese-y’ :rofl:

Thank you so much, all your remarks were noted :pray: I make lots of silly mistakes all the time, especially the tenses mix-up, that was embarrassing :woman_facepalming:t2: :joy::joy:

Yes! I’ve used it a couple of times in the past, but I never seem to stick with it?? Anyways, whenever I have time (and I can remember!) I get back to doing it :grin:

2 Likes

Oh gosh, there are no excuses :joy::joy::joy: University, part-time work, and life in general made me put WK on vacation mode :weary: I really miss it, but it’s just not feasable right now.

Good news though: I should be finished with University in the next month or so, so after that I can be back :grin: Can’t wait

4 Likes

Hello, I came upon your posts about the SRS grammar program Kanshudo, and I wanted to ask you what you think of it so far? I just stumbled upon it and was thinking about giving it a try. I’ve been looking for a good grammar SRS program similar to WaniKani. Like you, Genki doesn’t seem to hold my attention very well. Also, I thought Kanshudo’s JLPT and Genki vocab could fill in some of the WaniKani gaps.

マーク

2 Likes

Hi! Sorry for the late reply! Here’s a bit of a long review if you can be bothered to read it :joy:

General

I personally think Kanshudo is a fantastic resource for Japanese learning. The sheer amount of features it contains is still surprising to me (and I bet I haven’t found all of them yet, to boot :flushed:).

The dashboard is clean, with enough useful information without being too cluttered. The Japanese mastery wheel (the big pie chart) is especially interesting in showing your ‘mastery’ in kanji, vocabulary and grammar needed to pass to the next level (there are a total of 70 levels, I believe). To see your mastery more ‘in total’, you can access the main wheel for each. Here’s the one for kanji, for example:

The mastery of kanji/vocabulary/grammar can be increased through various activities done around the site, like when playing games, reading it, seeing it in a lesson, exercises, etc…

Here’s the rest of the dashboard:

And all the links in the footer, which shows what this site offers :flushed::

SRS?

Kanshudo has an SRS, however, I found it that is was kinda disappointing. The timings of when you get the cards are not good (they take too long), and there’s no clear indication of when you’re getting those reviews in the first place. I think it takes days for the first review, instead of just 3 hours like in WK?? To be honest I’m not sure the exact timings since they don’t show it, that’s how confusing the flashcard system is :joy:

It also doesn’t look very pretty (in my opinion). It reminds me of Anki (which was even more bland), but basically not pleasing enough to the eye for me, compared to WK.

Would I recommend it? Yes, I really would! I think it’s more than worth it just for their fantastic dictionary where you can search for kanji, words, grammar points, names (of people) and random points of interest.

Would I recommend it for the flashcard system, though? Unfortunately no, from what I’ve experienced :sweat_smile:

Another thing to keep in mind is that some (of the main) features are limited if you don’t buy their subscription. For example, a limited amount of flashcards, you can only do 3 lessons, etc etc… BUT, to me, they haven’t been that limiting, as I mainly use Kanshudo for the games and to access the dictionaries.

It’s my main grammar resource, where I simply search grammar points, write them down myself, look at the example sentence, look over them over and over again…

Let me know if you want more info or screenshots of features to check it out before registering! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Wow, thanks Brave-foot! This is more than I could ever have asked for! What a great review!

So for I agree with your sentiment. The first thing that caught my eye on Kanshudo was the 英和辞書 that includes PITCH ACCENT! Like you, I was a little disappointed in their grammar flash card system. It’s pretty basic. The kanji games have been fun, and I’ve enjoyed some of the cultural write ups.

The site is honestly pretty huge and overwhelming so it’s nice that they have a dashboard and study tasks written out for you. So you can just sit back and do whatever they suggest. I’ll probably continue using it, but I’m still looking for the grammar SRS holy grail.

Thanks!
マーク

2 Likes

You’re very welcome!

I don’t know if you’ve checked this one already, but I’ve also tried Shirimono.

The SRS is WAY better (much more similar to WK… If not the same :eyes:) and it’s prettier to look at…
I simply stopped using it because they introduced a subscription to it :joy::joy:

But the N5 lessons can be tried for free, so you could check it out and see how it feels :grin:

Apart from that, I’ve nothing else I can suggest :pensive:
I know about Bunpro, but I’ve never tried it, so I have nothing to say about it. I guess I’ll keep searching and waiting for something to come :upside_down_face:

1 Like

angry incessant hissing

Have you come back to WK yet?

Also, where are you in school?

2 Likes

I… ~sobs~

I’ll come back next week, I swear.

But yeah, the good news is, I finally finished University! I’m free! FREE :sob::sob:

Wholly ignores the fact I’ll have to find full-time work in a couple of months…

4 Likes

Congratulations! :champagne:
Now may the Great Cat of Employment help you find a very nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaice job corresponding to your newly acquired speciality! :cat2:

3 Likes

Thank youuuuuu :heart::heart::heart:

Yeah… Hopefully I’ll find a job… Soon… :eyes::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Little update:

Returning to WK today. Hopefully I will get back to it properly from now on and it will run smoothly =)

9 Likes

Congratulations :tada: I’m super happy for you.

Wish for you the same :blush: :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

I’m wondering… is it time for a gentle push? :blush: would love to be updated on your journey…

2 Likes

Thankssssssss for the reminder.

INCESSSSSSSANT ANGRY SSSSSSHOUTING AND HISSSSSSSSSING

3 Likes

It definitely is! :joy:

Not much to update on! I’ve practically done nothing since the last time I posted here :grimacing: Just done some short, random reading here and there.

I’ll get back to it now :eyes:

3 Likes

I demand ansssssssswerssssssss :cat2:

2 Likes

Well, I’m in no position to judge :sweat_smile: But keeping things going in doing some reading ~ even if it is only occasionally ~ still is something, I think. Sometimes, other things in life simply need more of your attention :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes