Bravefoot’s Study Journal

Took one week off from doing any new lessons because the Apprentice items number was getting a bit too high for my liking, and I could see I wasn’t dealing very well with it. Plus, it was a good opportunity to take care of some of those annoying leeches!

Grammar is still going steady — 85% done!

I’m also trying to do more reading and listening practice, but it’s hard to find the energy and time on top of WK, grammar and real life stuff :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Was busy on “holiday” for the past week. Barely took any new lessons. Reviews went alright, but I was so busy the timings got really messed up :flushed:

Nothing much more to report… Uhm, kinda finished the N5 grammar… But I think I’ve forgotten 70% of it already :joy:

I’m just going to go forward with N4 grammar, and try to finish that relatively quickly so I can start reading as soon as possible. It’s high time I started that entire volume set of Haikyuu I bought 5 months ago :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d imagine that will help me with cementing grammar better, rather than random flashcards…

5 Likes

Absolutely. Personally, I feel reading is a big motivation booster.

If you want take a step in between. You can have a look into the transcripts of the “Jlpt Stories” podcasts as they are graded by JLPT level (~~ what a coincident :sweat_smile: ) Or some NHK Easy articles while you are still going through N4 grammar. And feel free to ignore me in case you are already doing it anyways… :four_leaf_clover:

Absolutely not related… any updates on your manga project?

4 Likes

Never heard of the JLPT Stories before! (Or if I have, I must have forgotten about it :joy:) I’ll check them out, thanks!!

:flushed::flushed::flushed: Sorry to let you down, but I haven’t done any more on it =(
After a lot of struggling, I realised that my level of drawing humans was very… Crap. Or just making manga in general.
So right now I’m doing another project (a short webtoon) that I’m basically using as ‘training’ before continuing that manga :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hej, no problem. I can be a patient durtle… or at least try to be :blush:

… It seems though, I have bad news as well. JLPT Stories is down :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Hopefully your patience will be rewarded soon :relieved::eyes:

Awww, what a pity!! …Oh well, thankfully there’s plenty of reading material and other resources around :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Weekly Update

My schedule is still pretty messed up because of health reasons. I’m also trying to change the timings that I’ve been doing my reviews all this time, so everything is kind of a mess right now…

Regardless, I should reach level 20 by tomorrow, uzzah!

Also have exciting plans and new goals, but will be implemented after finishing level 20 :grin:

4 Likes

I’m back from the dead :joy:

Caught Covid, and I was so poorly and tired I wasn’t able to deal with Japanese studies for 3 weeks and I had to take a break… I’m still feeling a bit meh, but I’m definitely better than I was weeks ago =)

Looking forward to get back into WaniKani! I’ll restart my subscription on Monday for a fresh start :relieved:

Also, 2 days ago I did 1 year since I joined WK. I’m very proud of myself for keeping at it. Looking forward to another year together with all the fantastic friends and acquaintances I have made here :grin:

6 Likes

This is awful!
But I’m so glad you’ve managed to recover!

May the Great Cat of Health purrotect you and your family from any harm! :cat2:

6 Likes

Thank you! I’m looking forward to getting back here and chatting with everyone again, I’ve been missing you guys :blush:

5 Likes

Just re-subscribed as I believe I can get back into it now :smiley:

I will start doing lessons again on Monday. Until then, I’ll focus on just going through my reviews properly and focus on some grammar =)

9 Likes

Welcome back to the grind! Good luck, were cheering you on!

4 Likes

Thank youuu :smile:

2 Likes

Just completed Level 20!

And so, we are 1/3 of the way done already! Slightly scary :scream:

This time, I won’t spoil myself with another manga series. Oh no, this time… I shall make an irreversible oath to the Crabigator, by buying lifetime!

Time taken: too long :flushed: (ok, just did the calculations… 248 days… :sweat_smile:)
Average level-up: 17 days

More info as follows for future reference —>

Level Breakdown

These levels were hard. Harder than the first 10, of course. I believe there were many reasons for it:

• First of all, naturally the kanji were more difficult.
  • University is still killing me. I’m still confused by that post that a certain user wrote saying they managed to finish WK quickly because they were a University student, and so they had plenty of time and energy… Gosh, maybe I’m doing something wrong. Or maybe I should change Universities :rofl:
  • I’ve had more stressful family and personal issues happening these times.

Let’s not also forget my big, 1.5 month break I had in September-October, which really broke my rhythm. It was actually worrying how hard it was to get back into WK after that… I’m glad I managed to come back to it properly.

Apart from that, I can’t say much more in detail. My memories are fuzzy, and everything was just a mix of pain and frustration :smile:

Future Plans
  • Continue with grammar! I’m just getting into N4 now

• I’m planning to do more immersion; I was especially looking around for games. I started playing Stardew Valley, and I’ve been enjoying it for now (the whole 15 minutes of play :rofl:), even though I’m not understanding, like, 70% of whatever’s happening :stuck_out_tongue:

• I want to get more seriously into reading. I’ve said this countless times before already, but yeah :triumph:

Again, looking forward to the next 10 levels :smile:

11 Likes

おめでとう :tada:

Future Plans

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I really like this one and learned a lot from the game. Hope, you’ll enjoy the next 15 minutes as well :sweat_smile: (and if you every want to play co-op feel free to drop me a message.)

3 Likes

Sure thing… I just need to search first how to do that :flushed::rofl:

2 Likes

The pic is so so cute! :heart_eyes_cat:

apart from that, I wish you a Happy New Year and lot’s of fun and success exploring more of the Japanese language and culture. :four_leaf_clover:

The naive me thought you’d only have to click the co-op button and then the magic happens… but it looks like I was wrong and it only works for LAN games :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I wish you the exact same :sparkler:! Hopefully we will both continue to develop our Japanese this 2022 :grin:

Yeah, I only have Stardew Valley on my iPad and unfortunately co-op is not available on mobile versions :sob:

2 Likes

Getting back to it! Happy to restart my weekly Friday updates =P

WANIKANI: just got back to it yesterday. Currently trying to get rid of the review pile (currently it’s 400). I seem to have forgotten many of the latest kanji, on my last review session I got a 42% :rofl:

GRAMMAR: 16% done with N4

READING: tried again with reading Haikyuu. This time, surprisingly, the main issue wasn’t the grammar, but all the unknown kanji. Yes, I could just search for them as I encounter them, but I’m lazy :laughing: I might try again in some more WK levels :eyes:

WRITING: ehm… well, I do try writing from time to time… Just for fun… Even though my Japanese production is very bad…. Proof of my cringe-y writing:

LISTENING: …we do not speak of listening.

7 Likes

I haven’t been super-active on the forums lately; sorry to hear about your COVID experience, but I’m glad you’re okay now.

What app are you using for writing?

3 Likes