Booktubers, book awards, and general book discussion

Oh no! :grimacing: So many choices… I’ll have to be careful not to double my 積読… :books:

4 Likes

Yes, it’s really tough :sweat_smile:
We need to be strong :grin:

and I’m very proud that I only bought two books so far :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

SO FAR…

2 Likes

I already bought three books in the previous sale (just a few days ago) :see_no_evil: [1] and another one now [2]. I suspect I won’t resist buying at least one more [3]. This is getting out of hand… :crazy_face:

1. 64, コンビニ人間 and 妊娠カレンダー ↩︎

2. 嫌いなら呼ぶなよ ↩︎

3. 家庭用安心坑夫 ↩︎

4 Likes

There’s only one solution: Quit your job and start reading full-time :rofl:

I resisted the previous sale but this time I bought 水たまりで息をする and 蛇にピアス (another Akutagawa winner and apparently full of sex and gore :grin:), and I already own 妊娠カレンダー so that could be another nomination for the compulsive readers!

5 Likes

Yay! Join us!

:+1:

I caved in (of course) and bought 家庭用安心坑夫 too after all, then also むらさきのスカートの女 with the spoils remaining coins. I also want to get a 三浦しをん book at some point (=now!) , as I’ve read 舟を編む in English and liked it, but I’m not sure where to start. :thinking: I guess I could conceivably postpone it until the next sale…

2 Likes

I read the first section before bed yesterday :partying_face: The book is super short! I‘m hoping to get through quickly and then I can maybe catch up with ユートロニカ?

4 Likes

:smiley: Yes please!
I’ve started the final chapter of ユートロニカ, and I’m trying to pace 水たまりで息をする so that I don’t finish it before other people have barely started, but I can already see I’ll probably race through it. I’ve also started reading another book, パレード, so as not to read the other ones too quickly (I also have a lot of work to do, and that should definitely help reduce my reading time, but I’m doing my best to not let it interfere :rofl:)

3 Likes

I’m being super indecisive, so here’s a poll: Which 三浦しをん should I get?

• 舟を編む (本屋大賞, about compiling a dictionary, already read in English)
  • 神去なあなあ日常 (about relaxed life in a forestry village)
  • まほろ駅前多田便利軒 (Naoki prize, about two people doing odd jobs)
  • 白いへび眠る島 (about a mysterious festival on an island - young protagonist)
  • Other (please recommend another book of hers)
  • None (seriously, you have too many books already, omk3!)

0 voters

1 Like

I have 舟を編む in my to-read pile, but didn’t vote for it because you’ve already read it in English…

1 Like

I liked it though, and seeing as the subject is words themselves, I thought it might be interesting to read in its native language. But yes, why reread something when there’s so much more to read? so indecisive

By rhe way, if you or anyone else is interested in reading any of these together, that would definitely help me decide :grin:

2 Likes

If you decide to read that one in particular, sure, I’m happy to join in with an informal book club thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Myria can you comment on this (about 舟を編む)?

3 Likes

My suggestion would be 風が強く吹いている as my book-loving Japanese friend strongly recommended it to me (but it seems to be sad!). I think somebody else recommended it in the tadoku thread some time ago but I don’t remember the specifics.
Other than that, I’d go with any of your choices as I’d like to read a book of hers as well.

2 Likes

I left it out because I have no special interest in running (not that forestry is my hobby or anything :sweat_smile:), but mostly because for some reason it’s on the expensive side compared to most of her other books.

2 Likes

Oh yes I noticed that too :persevere: And it’s not exactly short…

2 Likes

Ah, I hadn’t noticed that! Seeing as it’s about double the size of the other books, the price makes perfect sense I guess.

2 Likes

She does like to use fancy words! The main character, especially. So be prepared to come across lots of words that will make you sound really fancy if you use them.
If you liked the story you will probably like it, but I’m also crew “why read something you know already if you can read something new”. But, if I were to reread something, I would probably pick a book that is about dictionary editing.
I think I’d also have chosen 風が強く吹いている, but the ones you listed sound cool as well.

3 Likes

Same here! That’s probably why I don’t make much progress with 1Q84 :laughing:

I’ll finish the current ユートロニカ chapter first and then see whether I’ll start this one as well :sweat_smile:

I also like the one with the “odd jobs” :laughing: :thinking: but I could also imagine reading the forest one.

2 Likes

I’m finishing the book today or tomorrow. Can’t wait for you to catch up so we can discuss! However, 水たまりで息をする is a much faster and easier read, so it might suit you better for now if you’re short on time or energy.

Ha ha, I’m as undecided as I was before the poll :joy:
I’m just grateful that no one voted for “None”. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking of possibly nominating 風が強く吹いている for the ABC at some point, but for now I think I’ll stick to my list. which one though???

5 Likes