Book One Chapter 13: 青豆:生まれながらの被害者 Haruki Murakami's 1Q84

Hey readers!

Back again after the holidays for the 後編 of book one of 1Q84, by Haruki Murakami. Another 12 chapters to be read over the next 3 months. I didn’t do too well with consistently reading every week before, but I’ll do my best to keep up this series of threads!

First things first: refer to Hashing out the details for reading Murakami Haruki’s 1Q84 (Intermediate/Advanced Book) for links to the threads of the 前編 for book 1.

We started on a two week per chapter schedule, but decided to speed up towards the end of the 前編, so we will go ahead with a one chapter one week schedule for the next 12 chapters as well.

Thread schedule

Book One Chapter 13: 青豆:生まれながらの被害者 Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 14: 天吾:ほとんどの読者がこれまで目にしたことのないものごと Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 15: 青豆:気球に碇をつけるみたいにしっかりと Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
21-02-2021: Break
Book One Chapter 16: 天吾:気に入ってもらえてとても嬉しい Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 17: 青豆:私たちが幸福になろうが、不幸になろうが Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 18: 天吾:もうビッグ・ブラザーの出てくる幕はない Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 19: 青豆:秘密を分かち合う女たち Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 20: 天吾:気の毒なギリアーク人Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
04-04-2021: Chapter 21
11-04-2021: Chapter 22
18-04-2021: Chapter 23
25-04-2021: Chapter 24

Warnings (read please!)

This story contains themes of an adult and/or sensitive nature, including cults, sex, murder, and sexual abuse of children, both mentioned, and graphic (though not until Book 2, in the latter case).

Our character's journey so far.

Aomame has an interesting job, assassin of guys who hurt women, and an interesting boss, who I hope to learn a bit more about. Aomame has come to the conclusion that she has somehow landed herself in an alternate reality, running parallel to her own reality… and has pinpointed the moment of divergence to some point before a commune called Akebono got into a huge gunfight with the police. Aomame likes middle aged men with thinning hair, and we left her sitting at a bar with a young female police officer, hoping to entice two men into bed…

第13章:青豆:生まれながらの被害者
Let’s start off with a rough translation of the title:

Chapter 13: Aomame: A victim from birth.

Now, poll time:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading book, but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

On page 24 I find this sentence: 「私にはとくに変わったところなんてありません。自分の気持ちに率直なだけです。」

Lately I’ve been thinking about なだけ. I just came across it in this book, so thought it the perfect opportunity to mention it. I’m not sure what’s happening here grammatically. I’ll have a look in my grammar bible as well, but if anyone has a clue :sweat_smile:

Edit: turns out I was just being silly and not knowing basic grammar: だけ always goes [な-adjective]+な+だけ. Simple as that.

2 Likes

It’s fun when that happens! :smiley:

A really common phrase that uses this is 好きなだけ(食べて・取ってなどがついてる), in which case it means something a bit more like ‘as much as’. Anyway, yay for progress.

Also I’ll start this book sometime this month. ~

1 Like

Slightly related question, and probably the same blind spot with regards to な-adjectives and particles, but on page 32 I come across:

ところが男たちを前にすると、彼女の判断力は見事なまでにばらばらにほどけしてしまった。

I feel like it sounds weird to me because I mostly see まで following nouns.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen this one with adjectives as much as with nouns either, bit it seems straightforward enough going from one to the other.

It’s interesting how I don’t really feel spoilered by reading this sentences. Thanks for not providing context. :joy:

1 Like

I have finally begun reading and am now at the break point on page 26 - which means I got to this part you quoted. :smiley:

It was interesting continuing 1Q84 after a 2 month break - at first I felt like I had to get used to his style all over again, but then that happened quickly enough within the first few pages. I absolutely loved 青豆’s hangover description and subsequent thought process!

Possibly its because all over been reading are light novels, manga and books aimed at a younger audience :sweat_smile: - 青豆’s voice so far felt super refreshing.

2 Likes

So this is how it all started. :open_mouth:

Oh man, poor 環… And to think 青豆 used to be such a normal girl.

I hope 天吾 gets a more pleasant chapter, I could use something less heavy. Since I don’t believe it’ll happen I’ll do something else with the rest of my evening to be safe. :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, that was rough, huh? The next Aomame chapter is a lot easier to digest, I feel.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot I wanted to ask: on page 35 (or maybe 37) there’s this part 二十六歳の誕生日を三日後に控えて. I just wanted to make sure I understand how 控える works correctly here - this means this is 3 days before the birthday, right…?

1 Like

It’s page 37 for me, but let me see… I think you got it right? I can ask my teacher about it, because, honestly, I’m not getting much wiser from dictionaries.

1 Like

Time in Japanese can be difficult to grasp the first time. :joy: If you can that’d be great, if not I’ll just go with my guess and hope it’s correct!

1 Like

So, according to my teacher, it was three days after her birthday.

1 Like

So, it works the other way from what I thought. :o thank you for asking!

1 Like

I’ll probably ask again in person tomorrow night, though, because I’m still not entirely convinced.

1 Like

Haha yeah, I’m also still trying to wrap my head around how it’d work the other way. :joy:

1 Like

I asked my friend, who is also a Japanese teacher (and Japanese), and she says it’s how you thought: three days before the birthday.

Whatsapp:
[3/1 17:16] Friend: そう!前です。
誕生日の3日前に自殺した、という意味です。
[3/1 17:16] Friend: 「控える」は、「待つ」という意味があります。

1 Like

Now those are some qualifications - very convincing, hehe. Sound like to might be your turn to teach the teacher now. :smiley:

1 Like

I expect he might have been distracted or read the question wrong, but who knows. Another thing he said supports the way it actually is, but his actual answer said the opposite.

1 Like

Coming back to Book 1.2 after a break of more than 18 months really is something! I’m glad Murakami was kind enough to fill me in on where exactly we had left off in Book 1.1 :sweat_smile:

Anyways, happy to report that I finished this chapter :blush:

1 Like