Biggest Realizations / Mind Blows You've Experienced Learning Japanese

I just realized that I’ve known how to use 謙譲語 (けんじょうご humble language) verb expressions since day 1 of Japanese.

The standard way (if a special verb doesn’t already exist, like いただく for もらう) is to take お + [the ます stem of the verb] + する. Obviously する will become します typically if it’s not grammatically necessary to use the plain form.

So 読む in this form of 謙譲語 is お読みします.

Does that look familiar?

Everyone gets exposed to this with 願う (ねがう to wish) right away
願う > お願いします

We’re just not told that’s what we’re doing.

I think I just always saw お願い as just a regular noun that gets する appended, not that it came from this way of making verbs humble. I suppose some mindblows come from just not having tried to think about it before.

PH MY GOD I’ve been wondering why the AlliCrab app says けいたいわにかに when you first open it !

Just realized that my (Surinamese) family has been using a Japanese word my whole life.

I’am trying to make a misosoup, and I need だしのもと according to a Dutch recipe. I’m like, haha that sounds like ajino…mo…REALIZATION!

My family always groups it in with the Chinese ingredients

Today I was completely disturbed when I realized, that “Good Day” and “Today” + は are both written 今日は. I mean what the heck?

The good day one usually gets written in kana, こんにちは, so you can usually read 今日は as きょうは. But they both literally mean ‘as for today’

Wait… Then that means the World Wide Web is a long stream of lols to the Japanese!

All of my car and motorcycle manuals make more sense now that I understand the basics of Japanese sentence structure. Also, my Japanese colleagues make more sense in english because I can hear their parsing now.

Best was sitting in a presentation from them and being able to read bits and pieces of it! They were super excited when I could read back to them here and there.

tfw you recognize all the kanji in “a phobia of pointy things”

(seen here)

GUYS, GUYS, GUYS! LISTEN!

すみません CAME FROM 済む!!!

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

What meaning would that take? Jisho has “to feel at ease” for 済む, so すみません would be to NOT feel at ease (because I have inconvenienced you)?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeep. Also, you can use すみません as “excuse me”. That might help you understand it as well.

:exploding_head:

One definition of 済む I don’t see on Jisho is 申し訳が立つ. So the negative 申し訳が立たない is basically to have no excuse.

Several weeks ago I learned that 献花(けんか)is “flower offering” like what you do when you visit a grave. And I already knew that 喧嘩 “quarrel” reads as けんか too. And what I thought was "Hey, seriously, what a hell?.. Then can I say 「友達と喧嘩をして、今や、献花するしか無いだ」?

That’s so sad~~~ :sob:

I always heard it as “there is no end (to my apologies)”

you also forgot Nanjing. Would the last one be like NYC? :thinking:

Today in Japanese Translation class we were reading a translated work from a certain 江戸川乱歩

Turns out that 江戸川乱歩 = Edgar Allan Poe

For well over a decade I’ve been familiar with the classifications of anime and manga known as “shounen” (and shounen ai!) And “shoujo”

So I’m working my way through WK, trying to remember readings for ‘few’ based on the shogun on a slide.
I HAD GOT TO GURU on 少年 and 少女 before the penny dropped :exploding_head:

‘Official’ radical meanings change based on position within kanji?

So, I know that the WK doesn’t use real radical names for the sake of memorable mnemonics. I signed up for a local Japanese class, figuring I could use the speaking/grammar help despite being way ahead on kanji. I thought I’d just relearn some new, not-so-memorable names for radicals as the class went along. Last class we started learning kanji for the first time, and our teacher told us that radicals change meaning based on position! So, like https://www.wanikani.com/radicals/butcher changes meaning depending on if it’s on the right or left side of the kanji. If it’s on the left, it means ‘hill/mound’, and if it’s on the right it means ‘village/country’.

I know it’s all a bit more complicated than that, what with phonetic components and other wrenches in the mix. But still… if you look at the kanji that use the radical, a whole lot of them with the radical on the right relate to village/country. 都(metropolis), 邦(home country), 郡 (county), 邸(residence), 郊(suburbs)… And none with the radical on the left relate to village/country at all.