Biggest Realizations / Mind Blows You've Experienced Learning Japanese: Emoji means what?!?!

I was looking at shogi terminology, and 局 comes up a lot.

一局 is a game of shogi
対局 is playing shogi
局面 is the state of the board, the positions of the pieces
結局 is the final state of the board, the end of the game

Of those, probably only the last one is a word most of us are familiar with.

Yeah, it’s that 結局. It was taken from shogi to generally mean “after all” or “in the end”.

20 Likes

形容動詞 - Na Adjective
動 - move
形容詞 - Adjective

The 動 describes that the adjective has a moveable part which is the な.

7 Likes

That also came up in an episode of 東大王 that you linked somewhere recently, I enjoy the show a lot, so thanks for making me aware of it :slight_smile:

It’s the same in French!
Lundi (Lunae)
Mardi (Martis)
Mercredi (Mercurii)
Jeudi (Jovis)
Vendredi (Veneris)
Samedi (Saturni)
Dimanche (Solis - Not sure about this one.)
Language he?

likewise in spanish it’s domingo, after god rather than sun.

Yes, looked it up, it comes from Dominica (day of the lord)

I had the review 誕生 - birth
I remembered たんじょうび from a podcast and my mind was blown… I discovered 誕生日 - birthday

1 Like

I always thought すごい was actually quite positive, but it means both terrible/horrible and wonderful/fantastic at the same time.

In addition the kanji form of すごい is 凄い [ice+wife], can’t be that positive (as tone mark, but anyway …)

1 Like

Just ran into the level 4 vocabulary 文字 (もじ). I always thought emoji were some variant of emoticon, and so related to “emotion”. I found out that’s not the case. I gather from reading other threads that I will encounter the full kanji word later on in WK, which means “picture character”. Cool.

10 Likes

I was looking into where some of the WK radicals are coming from, and the Chinese system of Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches is super useful!

Some insights:

• The branches are also related to times of the day, and the sign of the horse 午 is the time of noon.
  • The superman 辰 is the sign of the dragon, reading しん. In general the readings are well preserved in tone marks.
  • The stem 丁 has reading てい instead of ちょう, good to know where that comes from …
  • 未 is the sign of the sheep
  • the Chinese rabbit 兔 is very close to WK’s excuse 免

So both the readings and shapes are very helpful …

Today, I came across the Japanese for JLPT : 日本語能力試験.

I noticed I knew all the kanji in it, and it felt good. :smiley:

11 Likes

y- you felt good!

11 Likes

I always wondered what the Kanji in the Initial D logo was, and after I learnt 文字 I was like “Wait!” And tried looking it up.
Sure enough 頭文字 just means Initials! So it’s just Initial D! ٩(๑❛ᴗ❛๑)۶ :sparkles::sparkles:

7 Likes

When I learned the word for bell (鐘) is かね, I realized that the word for money (金) is also かね, and that’s probably the reason why bells (ベル) are the currency in Animal Crossing.

29 Likes

This one is just pure coincidence but yesterday I watched a Japanese rail program which featured a train station (貴志駅) made to look like a cat:

By chance, today on WK I learned the 益 Kanji which, too me looks just like the station. The best part is that the reading for this Kanji ‘えき’ is the same as the main reading for the 駅 (Station).

images

The ‘horn’ radical reminds me of the cat ears, the ハ and 一 radical are the shape of the roof and the 皿 radical form the station entrance.

The benefit of this station is that you get to see a cat stationmaster.

18 Likes

I just realised that かっこいい is derived from 格好いい… which is good appearance…

//edit I always knew it meant that, connecting it to that vocab just blew my mind…

11 Likes

When you realize that WK has enabled you to read/figure out that 棒占いで水脈を探すこと = rhabdomancy

Only level 4, but I’ve already seen a few kanji which I think are just stunningly beautiful in what they’re conveying.

秋, the kanji for fall, (roughly) contains the kanji for ‘tree’ + ‘fire.’ A very poetic way to represent that particular season.

This one is probably just be me being crazy, but the prefixes that make up the names of the days tell the story of a cycle of birth, life, death, rebirth: 日 and 月 represent the cycle of day and night, aka the passage of time. Then you have 火 followed by 水, which create 木 , or trees and life. Then you have 金, money/prosperity, and we close out with 土, everything returns to soil and the cycle begins anew. I don’t know if the Japanese think of it that way, but I think it’s neat how those all sort of fit together, and it helps me remember them!

The last mind blow . . . I think I’ve finally begun to understand how the は and が particles work. Definitely felt like the smartest dude around when that clicked!

7 Likes

The days of the week correspond to planets the same as in other european languages!

In english it’s germanic for some reason so its easier to see in french but:
Monday, 月, moon-day, lundi, lunar, moon
Tuesday, 火, from Tīw meaning mars, mardi, mars
Wednesday, 水, Wodins day, mercredi, mercury
Thursday, 木, Thors-day, jeudi, jupiter
Friday, 金, Frigga day, vendredi, venus
Saturday, 土, Saturn-day, samedi, saturn
Sunday, 日, sun-day, sun

The days of the week match the vocab for the planets see :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I didn’t know that Sokoban was a Japanese game, it is 倉庫番 (そうこばん), warehouse keeper.

7 Likes