Biggest Realizations / Mind Blows You've Experienced Learning Japanese: Emoji means what?!?!

wow. Level 31 would be fun.

iirc it wasn’t.

7 Likes

Well level 13, 14 and even the next level is feeling too easy for me. Maybe 31 would be a fun challenge. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Well what are you doing sitting around? Get off yer butt and make flashcards for the level 31 material. Your quiz will be this wednesday.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I said something or not, But Atari was basically picked by some Americans as a random word in a dictionary.

Yes but in many cases you only actually need to memorize the beginning. The 決まり字 of many of the carts is the first or second mora.

1 Like

The founder likes go, and atari is a go term.

1 Like

Well that’s good to know. But it definitely takes the meaning away (Atari is when a stone has only one liberty and if nothing happens can be captured in one move.

Well, I mean, the root of the go term is still the same as the one that @Jerred was mentioning. It’s just one step removed from that, at least in the mind of the creator.

Alter as in colloquial usage either shortening for
Alter Mann or
Hallo Alter

Sheesh …

You aren’t going to ruin my mnemonic with FACTS @Leebo.

6 Likes

On the topic of naming things, did you know that in Japan Kit Kats are actually a sign of good luck for people about to take an exam. The reason, well, just look at the name:

きっとかっと = (きっと勝つ)

Blew my mind whenever I heard that the other day.

18 Likes

seems you stopped reading the later posts…there has already been a discussion about it in more detail (at ca. posts 140) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

君の名は was on TV the other night and since I’m watching it in Japan of course it doesn’t have English subtitles, so I was stuck watching the whole thing in Japanese. But I was shocked that I understood about 80% of the film, and the only parts that I was iffy on were when the grandma was speaking about all the ancient legend stuff.

I think that was the moment I realized just how much Japanese I’ve begun to comprehend.

15 Likes

Just made the connection that Tokyo (東京) is literally the “East Capital”. Digging a bit further, Beijing (北京) is literally “North Capital” and Nanjing (南京) “South Capital”. That was pretty awesome to discover. I imagine some Chinese empire of yore is responsible.

9 Likes

And Kyoto is “capital city” (not to be confused with the Simpsons’ Capital City). Apparently, Seoul also came from the word “capital city” in Korean. They’re good at naming their capitals, the asians.

16 Likes

As for Japanese place names, I rather prefer 利尻島 - Butt Profit Island or 奥尻町 - Inner Butt Town.

which don’t really mean that but in my mind they do.

7 Likes

I memorised the days like this:

月曜日- moon-day
火曜日- tűz-day (tűz is fire in Hungarian)
水曜日- wetness-day
木曜日- trees-day
金曜日- friday is gold, because we will drink
土曜日- saturday we wake on the ground
日曜日-sunday is sun-day.

But I will use your method to memorize planets, because I always mix them :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Holy shit, being Hungarian this is the ultimate mnemonic for memorizing the days of the week!! Tűz-day, that’s genius :grinning: köszi!

2 Likes

I like to remember them like this:

A new week - a new moon rises on Monday. This calm doesn’t last long, because on Tuesday a fire comes through and burns everything down. So Wednesday you put it out with water, and by Thursday the trees come back. Friday you sell your new trees to make money, but then by Saturday you’re only left with dirt. Finally its Sunday, and the sun sets on your insane week.
Monday comes… a new moon, and you are ready to do it all again.

6 Likes