Biggest Realizations / Mind Blows You've Experienced Learning Japanese: Emoji means what?!?!

When I learned 火山 I had an omg moment.

Volcano. Fire Mountain. Who would’ve thought, right?

130 Likes

It honestly pisses me off that some teachers don’t teach this. It’s little things that often help students make connections and understand concepts!

19 Likes

I had this experience with 花火 (はなび) - fireworks. A flower on fire? Fireworks!

67 Likes

To be fair, unless you live in southern Japan, you will almost never hear だ as じゃ, so teaching dialects probably isn’t a big priority.

The other part, where it is a contraction of では was taught to me in class.

13 Likes

That the Kanji for country, 国, is literally 玉 which is ball, and a square around it…

Looks familiar?

463 Likes

I’ve had many of those, right now come to mind two related with Wanikani that made reviews much easier:

-If there is a ざ/ぞ/ず on the second, third, etc. kanji of a jukugo, it’s never contracted. For example 仏像 (ぶつぞう) vs 仏僧(ぶっそう ).

-On transitive/intransitive pairs (same kanji, different okurigana), if there is one ending on す, it is always the transitive one, and if there is one ending in ある, it is always the intransitive one. For example 移す vs 移る and 見つける vs 見つかる. I noticed this like five levels ago, and I can’t believe I followed the “sue/rude” crap for so long without noticing this.

You may find some verbs like 引っ越す that don’t follow this rule, but since there’s no 引っ越る and “to move homes” is intransitive in english, it’s easy to figure out. So far, I haven’t found a pair of verbs that didn’t follow those rules.

Besides that, I had some dumb realizations like when I noticed that the と in よつばと! makes the titles of the chapters go like “Yotsuba and [title of chapter]”. I noticed this after months studying japanese and while reading like chapter 30 of Yotsuba, so I felt quite stupid for taking so long figuring out what that と was doing there, hahaha.

49 Likes

From about 5:50.

Mind explosion.

22 Likes

I could never remember the weekdays in Japanese until I realised the weekdays aren’t directly named after elements, but named after planets (which are named after elements), and what’s more, they’re named after the same planets as the weekdays in the Latin/Romance language calendar.

Monday - dies Lunae - day of the Moon - 月 - 月曜日
Tuesday - dies Martis - day of Mars - 火星 - 火曜日
Wednesday - dies Mercurii - day of Mercury - 水星 - 水曜日
Thursday - dies Jovis - day of Jupiter - 木星 - 木曜日
Friday - dies Veneris - day of Venus - 金星 - 金曜日
Saturday - dies Saturni - day of Saturn - 土星 - 土曜日
Sunday - dies Solis - day of the Sun - 日 - 日曜日

(Somehow I could remember the names of the planets when I couldn’t remember the names of the days of the week. Go figure.)

170 Likes

ha, I can’t tell if you’re being serious or just making fun of his gestures . . .

But thanks anyway because now I think I understand a song lyric much better: どうか届きますように

@miss_cataclysm, they’re the same planets?! That is crazy!

1 Like

There is an explanation for this on reddit that seems sound, basically they adopted the western calendar and translated their planet names (coming from the Chinese Wu Xing five elements). They also took over the planets you cannot see with the naked eye, for example with Neptune → 海王星 (sea god planet).

https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/53kas1/japanese_planet_names/d7vnq35/

6 Likes

I was going to say a bit of both, but that would be a total lie. I was amused by his gestures.

1 Like

Had numerous mindblowing epiphanies while I was living and working and studying in Japan.

Mini mindblown when I realised that Japanese have different words for animal noises. I guess before then I just assumed everyone in the world would say ‘woof woof’, ‘meow meow’ and ‘cockledoodle doo’ not ‘wan wan’ nya nya’ and ‘cocky caw caw’

Mindblown when I realised that not only do Japanse have different exclamations for things like when you hurt yourself ‘itte’ instead of ‘ouch’ ‘etto’ instead of ‘um’. It’s minblowing to realise that such language utterances become automatic. And best of all at some point and without a conscious effort to do so I switched to using them.

Fully mindblown when I had a girlfriend stay over at my place and she told me I’d been talking in my sleep. Nothing unusual I thought until she explained more and told me I was sleeptalking entirely in Japanese. It was at this point I knew I was on my way to cracking the language.

73 Likes

I get really frustrated with kanji and vocabulary building. It seems as though whatever I am learning doesn’t directly apply to what I am doing right now. For example, working through an N3 deck, reviewing basic characters for 1, 2, left, up blah blah blah. Simple things right?

Fast forward 6 months, and I am still frustrated, thinking, darn, am I getting anywhere. Open up NHK news and rip through a few headlines. 円安・円高、経済. It was like that head jerk moment when you see something crazy in the corner of your eye, whip your head around and think to yourself, did I just see that?

I did that the other day. I was reading an article on the economy, and got 3 lines in before I realized

1. I am not on the easy site, and
  2. I understand this… 生徒万歳!
  3. After finishing the article, I still have a long way to go…

Mind blown.

20 Likes

I know it’s not really Kanji Related… but I had a big “Oh my god!” moment when watching Naruto the other day, and he introduced some of the other characters and I was like, “Oh god… I read their names!”

16 Likes

We found that mine and my wife’s work schedules made perfect mnemonics for the days of the week.

I work Mon-Fri and she works Mon-Wed with a late shift on the Tuesday.

So we have:

GET TO work Monday - getsuyobi
She has to take the CAR on Tuesday - kayobi
She’ll SOON be finished for the week on Wednesday - suiyobi
On Thursday she MOCKS me cos I go to work and she doesn’t - mokuyobi
Friday the week’s over and family (KIN) come round - kinyobi

It was neat how it all tied together. A very personal little OMG moment!!

45 Likes

Bruh.

24 Likes

国 is from chinese tho, and the China flag sure doesnt have a ball :no_mouth:

seems like an extraordinary coincidence :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

Not massive realisations, but I love learning a word in Japanese and being able to make a connection to a common Japanese word we know in the West.

Like i just learnt paper - kami, rendaku’d to gami in a lot of words and realised it was the end of origami so already I had known paper in Japanese for years without really knowing! Now I can bore anyone who says origami that gami means paper (not got to the ori bit yet, I’m assuming it means folding… ).

33 Likes

When I first learned this I felt so enlightened! Finding out the meaning behind loanwords that you’ve known for years can be pretty crazy, like recently I realized the ‘su’ from “sudoku” comes from 数「スウ」being the kanji for number / figure. I still don’t understand the 独 part, but it really seems pretty trivial to me now that the word is related to numbers.

6 Likes

Not really to rain on your realization, also since it helps you remember that way it’s a good thing… I’m unsure who stole the 国 character from who, but it is likely taken from simplified Chinese.

I have a background and love of traditional Chinese so I never had to make that roundabout connection, but I’ve always associated the middle character with jade as China has always appreciated jade almost more so even than gold for pendants to bracelets and charms. From my experience Japan never absorbed this penchant for jade.

So yeah… just various ways of looking at it.

6 Likes