Biggest Realizations / Mind Blows You've Experienced Learning Japanese: Emoji means what?!?!

Maybe the み from 旨み is not 味, but the nominalizer み, like in 痛み and 楽しみ?

4 Likes

Jisho reveals its 味.

Checking Kotobank here, at the very top of the entry, says that み is a suffix.

1 Like

9 Likes

I guess great minds think alike :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I just Yomichan’d it, I’m sooo innocennt cough

Maybe I’m just dumb and very late, but I think I just realized something about the origin of 「Verb」~ている.

Similar to how constructs like for example 「Verb」~てください and 「Verb」~てあげる respectively mean “To please [Verb]” and “To [Verb] for someone”, 「Verb」~ている is probably just the て form followed by いる, meaning that it describes that the [Verb] is currently existing, which can be interpreted as the continuous form of a verb.

I don’t know if I’m very late with this realization, but I think I’ve just internalized ている as just another suffix for a different kind of verb. However, if there are any others who haven’t realized this yet, I would love for them to also realize this connection nonetheless.

7 Likes

Hmm. To me it just kind of made sense for something like “is [verb]ing” in English to also use the word meaning “is” within it. 話している (speak + is = is speaking).

It might have been explained to me that way from the start, I guess.

5 Likes

Yeah I learned ている way, way, way before any other て grammar structures, so I didn’t make the link yet.

Also I hadn’t really concretely noticed that connection in English with is+gerund as well. In Dutch it’s a bit more disguised, but in retrospect, the structure is also there in a convoluted way. Just never seen a continuous form as expressing something existing as an action.

But again, I might be very late to the party.

4 Likes

:thinking: :man_shrugging:t3:

Not sure what you’re saying here…

Thank you – the above describes my engagement with ている completely. Thank you so so much for helping me!! :grinning:

2 Likes

The word for “calf” (as in the back of the lower part of your leg) in Japanese is ふくらはぎ. This was always hard for me to remember, but then I learned the kanji.

脹脛

脹 means “swell” or “bulge” similarly to 膨, and they can both be used in the verb ふくらむ. And はぎ is the lower half of leg. So calf is “lower leg bulge.”

Much easier to remember now.

12 Likes

Nah, I’ll just call it a 子牛 and be done with it.

21 Likes

After reading your posts I already forgot what Leebo’s word was

4 Likes

god i both love and hate that first image so much, thanks for bringing it into my life

1 Like

雷【 かみなり】(Thunder)=神鳴り(God’s roar)

湖 (lake )= みず + うみ = freshwater sea

mindblown-rs

There’s so many kunyomi that make more sense now.

Have to get on reading this thread, how didi I miss it:

17 Likes

OMG I never realised !!!
Thx for the revelation

3 Likes

Just wait until you find out that the Japanese to this day honor the 神の道 by having tons of paperwork. They really do love their 紙

9 Likes

I laughed so hard at that one

2 Likes

According to a show I’m watching, saying things like スマホ、どっか行った or スマホ、どこ行ったか知ってる? when you can’t find something is something that people do in Kansai, but not in Kantou.

It made sense to me when I heard people saying it here, so I didn’t expect to hear that people in Kantou would think it’s weird. Apparently they just say something like スマホなくした and think that saying the phone “went somewhere” is strange because it’s like it’s a person.

8 Likes