Biggest Realizations / Mind Blows You've Experienced Learning Japanese: Emoji means what?!?!

Wow, mind blow, alright. And what a great mnemonic !
It’s the first time I see singular kanji like 天照 containing an entire verb, I wonder if it happen often ?

1 Like

I was amazed to realise that Japanese usage of kanji included having more than one syllable (after learning the comparatively simple use of 漢子 with one character for each syllable); now I’m realising that there are multiple multi-syllabic readings for kanji - and that they’re a confusing mixture of full-form and simplified characters. What bright spark thought that one up? :exploding_head:

When I came across this, I realised that でしょ and だろ are both forms of です and だ. It certainly helps me remember now which one is the more polite or casual form.

5 Likes

Maybe it’s not quite the same, but the nominalized form of the verb 志す (こころざす) can be written 志 (こころざし) with no okurigana.

When I read “Beijing” in Chinese for the first time (on a t-shirt of a random person), a lot of things started making sense…
京都 - Capitol City
東京 - Capitol of the East
北京 - Capitol of the North

I was happy :slight_smile: :smiley:

5 Likes

I was playing the dubbed version of Fire Emblem Fates, In which Azama would constantly say “Praise Hotoke”. Having only seen Hotoke written in kana, I never made the connection to Buddha until one day my English brain, and my Japanese brain had sudden confab about it, and compared notes.

5 Likes

I learned the word ひとごみ (meaning crowd of people) many years ago but just assumed since I already knew the word ゴミ or garbage that it was a kind of derogatory way of saying people in crowds become like garbage.

Anyway, I learned in level 34 that it’s 人込み and just literally means crowd of people. OK, the Japanese aren’t as mean-spirited as I had somehow believed.

18 Likes

I thought the same thing here. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I wonder if the nuance refers to something similar as “the unwashed masses” or something like that.

Well that’s kind of what I’d believed. But no, the ごみ part is just a rendaku form of こみ which comes from 込む(こむ) to be crowded.

Note: it can also be written with the Level 21 kanji 混:人混み. I don’t know if there’s a usage preference or difference.

1 Like

制服

And now everything about Kill La Kill has become clearer…

2 Likes

I got this kanji on level 19. (maybe they shuffled the order a little bit?)

1 Like

I’m speechless, this was one of the few words I know since childhood…

3 Likes

Or perhaps I made … a mistake. Wouldn’t be the first time.

1 Like

Being someone who only studies Kanji, my question is how is it that very few Japanese people appear to use them exclusively/as a majority on a regular basis. They’re so beautiful!

私讀學唯漢字,兼儂請意曷些日本人使其上某常基 。。。其之係泰麗!

1 Like

That’s just unnecessarily hard to read.

Grammatically there are things like conjugations and particles that can’t be expressed with kanji.

Not necessarily, I’m also learning Chinese and there seems to be no discontinuity in their use. With the understanding that all Kanji characters come from the mainland, it’s hard to believe this notion. In fact, I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite (but made into convention) given the overall increased use of Kana characters (which are phonemes of Kanji) anyway.

But please, enjoy! I just can’t understand these “Kana” haha.

不要内私的意,儂他係讀中聞兼這倜否喪為識 。今節,全漢字辭至通中国 ,以余不賛舉君的念 。可是請問康喜,私不會述 “仮名” 哈哈!

I still don’t understand the 独 part, but it really seems pretty trivial to me now that the word is related to numbers.

It’s always been my interpretation - one of the meanings of 独 is alone. Could it mean it’s a solitary number game?

1 Like

It’s an abbreviation.

「数独」という呼称は「 数字は独身に限る (すうじはどくしんにかぎる)」の略語で […]

From

3 Likes