Beyond Sleepy’s (pillow fort?) study log

Hope :four_leaf_clover: is going well today! :slight_smile: Excited you’re almost caught up!

1 Like

ん! I’ve just finished my interpretation of pages 14-16:)

🍀Here it is🍀 (pages 12-16)

——— 12-13 ———

そこおいといていいぞー

It’s fine if you place it there

なんか俺体力低下してんなぁ…

My physical strength is deteriorating…

(What is なんか tho?)

手がふるえる…

My hand is shaking…

おまえさ、近所にあいさつで配る粗品とか用意してるか?

Hey man, shouldn’t you prepare some kind of greeting (a small gift or something) for your new neighbors?

そうかそういうのしなきゃな

Oh right, I ought to do something like that.

頭いいなおまえ

That would be smart.

じゃあ俺が用意してきてやる、おまえ片付けてろ

I’ll prepare it for you. You can clean up here.

変なもん持ってくんなよ

Don’t bring anything strange.

俺はプリンが好きなんだ

As for me, I like pudding.

いやおまえの嗜好はいい

My taste (in dessert presumably) is good.

(Basically, “you can trust my gift-giving sensibilities. You’re giving pudding”)

…ところでさよつばどこだ?

By the way, where is Yotsuba?

いなくなった

She’s disappeared.

——— 14-16 ———

まあ腹減ったら帰ってくるだろ

Well, she’ll come back when she gets hungry I guess.

んじや、みつけたらひろっとくわ

I’ll bring her back if I find/see her

ああ、そしてくれ

Ah, please do so

んじや

??? (Something like “well I’m off then”?)

んたのむ

Thanks for doing this

(I guess is the sentiment)

さて… どっから手をつけるかな…

Well then… What should I do next?

そういや、これはどこた捨てんのかな…

Ah, yes. Where am I supposed to dispose of this?…

こんにちは!

Good day!

もしかしてこちらに引っ越してこられた方ですか?

Could it be that you’re the person moving in here?

はい?そうですけど

Yes? That’s right, but…

やっぱり!

I knew it!

私となりに住んでおります

I’m your next door neighbor, I’m called Ayase.

よろしくお願いします

Nice to meet you

ああいえ、こちらこそよろしく

Ah (no?), likewise

そのダンボールゴミに出す分ですか?

Are you looking to get rid of that cardboard trash?

ああ、そうしたいんだけど

Ah, it seems like I’d want to, but

ダンボールはですね資源日に出すんです金曜日ですね

Regarding the cardboard, recycling day is on Friday

あそこの電柱の所ネットがあるじゃないですか

Over there by the telephone pole there (isn’t? Wut :open_mouth:) a net

あそこに出すんですよ

That’s where you throw it

あ、そうなんだ

Ah, is that so
—— end ——

Ah, there’s a bunch that’s unclear to me but oh well😌

I’ve also done my Wanikani and Anki routine, and the JP1K deck is really motivating to me😁 The way the example sentences use the vocabulary that’s already introduced gives me daily ego boosts from being able to read sentences I’ve never seen before on my first try🙃 And the deck is built around the 1000 most frequently words in slice of life anime and Japanese dramas so it’s also motivating to be building a foundation for being able to gather the gist of what is going on in my manga and anime even before I start looking up words❤️

Classes are staring again at uni and the workload is actually kinda hefty so once again I’m readjusting my expectations for my own JP studying.

• Every day without exception: Wanikani, Anki, and :four_leaf_clover:.
  • When I have the excess time/energy: Cure Dolly and anime.
  • On hiatus: writing practice.

As for the Genki study group, I’ll attend on Saturday and see how I feel:)

7 Likes

WOW though! You did an amazing job! I was remembering the boxes as I read each of your translations / interpretations! :slight_smile: So tomorrow would be 17 & 18, and I will re-read 17 and read 18 so we can start comparing notes! :four_leaf_clover:

Great! Keep it simple and manageable and routine. This helps the brain feel less cluttered and more in control of what you want to accomplish! :slight_smile:

I finally got my study companion for MNN today, and I also got another neat book, so I’m eager to dig into those soon myself!

2 Likes

Thank you :pray: :blush:

Yes! I’m excited for it :smiley:

Congratulations :tada:

I finally got a frame for a print I’ve been meaning to hang on my wall for like 3 years:p

🖼

It’s a scene from where I grew up🙃

5 Likes

WOW! That’ is gorgeous!!! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Just a heads up that this week’s session might just mostly be introductions while using simple Japanese and some English for those who struggle. Don’t throw away your Genki textbook just yet, as I think Yoshi Sensei will use the textbook as a teaching material in the next week or two.

Starting next week, you’ll be sure to see that Sensei will take off the training wheels by speaking mostly in Japanese to each learner. The introductions tomorrow will be like Sensei’s way of gauging each person’s weaknesses and strengths, so he’ll know what kind of questions to ask each learner once we start with Genki textbook in the coming weekends.

Hope that helps and remember to come by an hour earlier than the class time tomorrow! If you have your microphone sorted out early, that means an extra hour of chit-chat with Yoshi Sensei and other learners. See you tomorrow! :blush:

3 Likes

I’ve reduced my “do every single day” learning activities to just Wanikani, Anki, and よつばと!. Very manageable. Easy to keep track of. From now on I won’t mention Wanikani or Anki unless I skip a day or something else extraordinary happens. If you’re reading my log just assume that I’m keeping up with my SRSs🙃

What I’ll use the log for is checking in with my translation/interpretation attempts, and any other major developments in how I study (e.g. once I’ve established a vocab mining setup, or when I start using Genki 1).

Interpretation/translation of 🍀 よつばと 🍀 pages 17-19

——— 17 ———

ちなみに燃えるゴミは月木燃えないゴミは土曜日ですから

By the way, they collect burnable trash on Mondays and Thursdays and non-burnable trash on Saturdays.

他にも何がわからない事等ありましたら遠慮なくおっしゃってください

If anything is unclear, please say so without hesitation

………

………

君、高校生だよね?

You, you’re a high school student, right?

はい?そうですけど

Yes? What about it?(is the sentiment I assume)

いや、しっかりしてんなぁーと思って

(Maybe:) well, I think high school students are reliable (?)

俺が高校のときはもっとー

(Maybe:) it’s been a while since my high school days

あ、今でもしっかりしてないんだけど

Ah, now I’m not so reliable anymore :sweat_smile:

しっかり、して下さい

Please be reliable :sweat_smile:

はぁ、すみません

Haa, I’m sorry

ところでこちらに住むのはお一人で?

By the way, are you going to live here alone?

あ、いや、小さい娘がいてー

Ah, no, I have a young daughter

さっきちょっと どこかに消えちゃったんだけど

She kind of disappeared a little while ago (I’m blanking on the grammar but this is the gist, right?)

え⁉︎ 大変‼︎

Eh! That’s terrible!!

——— 18 ———

じゃあ私探してきましょうか

Should I go looking for her?

あ!いいんだ

Ah! No, it’s fine

いつもの事だから心配しなくても…

It happens regularly so I’m not concerned

…そう、なんですか

… is that right?

あ、じゃあ

Well then

この時それらしい子がいないか注意しておきます

After this I’ll head out. When I do I’ll try to look out for a kid like your daughter.

ありがとう

Thank you

変な奴だって思う子だいたらたぶんそれ

(Maybe:) if you see a strange child it’s probably her

はぁ… ずいぶんね

Haa…? Wow

——— 19 ———

あ!そうだ、お子さん お名前は?

Ah! That’s right, your kid, what’s her name?

よつば

Yotsuba

よつば

Yotsuba

よつばちゃんですね!

So it’s Yotsuba!

じゃーねー

Bye!

あした あそばーね

We’ll play tomorrow?

うん!

Yes!

——— end ———

Grammar is hard! 🍀🍥

I’ll just have to find the time to watch some Cure Dolly later today :triumph:

🍀✊

6 Likes

I’m doing mine as we speak! Thought we were going to page 18 thought :sweat_smile: I will add 19 in! Not going to read yours until I post mine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We were, but 19 is basically one speech bubble and it’s a natural stopping point so I included it🙃

2 Likes

:grin: This is good to know! I’m already getting exhausted as it is!

2 Likes

I’m going to guess ちゃった is the major sticking point here, and just mention that it is a SUPER common contraction you’ll see a lot more when you read. It’s てしまう, which contracts down to ちゃう. The actual nuance is tricky to explain but here’s the imabi page for a shot at it. Anyway, yeah, you did basically get that sentence right!

4 Likes

You’re right! Thanks for the explanation and the link, I’ll have a look at it :pray::slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I’m out of :heart: so I’ll come back and like your post later :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I AGREE! I just finished and posted my attempt. I need a brain rest but then I will come back and read yours to see what I got wrong :laughing:

3 Likes

I think he’s referring to Fuuka (the girl) specifically, rather than high schoolers in general.

The もっと, I think he’s essentially saying “(even) more”. But even more what? More reliable? Since he’s using は (rather than も), it suggests the topic (my time in high school) has a different comment than the one about Fuuka being reliable, so he’s suggesting that (unlike Fuuka), when he was in high school, he was more unreliable. (You can see how this follows into his next line about how he is nowadays.)

5 Likes

Ah, I thought it would be related to why he asked if she’s a high schooler, apparently apropos of nothing.

Thank you so much for the breakdown tho, you are really reliable @ChristopherFritz :grin:

3 Likes

I know he is! I feel like I haven’t had his presence grace my study log in a while… :roll_eyes: :laughing:

3 Likes

I did my daily two pages of よつばと!

🍀🍀 20 & 21 🍀🍀

——— 20 ———

あっした からー なっつ やっす みー

(Singsong) the summer holiday starts tomorrow.

——— 21 ———

誰かな?

Who is that?

この辺じゃ見ない子だ

I haven’t seen this kid in the area before.

なんかかわつた… 外国の子…?

She’s a little strange… is she a foreign kid…?

それに… なにしてんだろう…

Besides… what is she doing…?

——— end ———

There wasn’t much text and (with the exception of なんかかわつた) I could read it without aid (well, if I didn’t make any mistakes) :upside_down_face: That feels nice :blush:

5 Likes

I’m sure you did great! I will be starting in a little while I hope :slight_smile: :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Some manga make this really difficult to distinguish but this a small っ.

The word is from ()わる, which when written as ()わった or ()わっている, it has a meaning of 「ちょっと違う」 (a little different) or 「変な」 (odd, strange). (It sounds like you made it to the correct meaning, though!)

3 Likes

:joy: I wish I read yours before I finished mine… I think I mistakenly thought the bubbles in box 4 on page 21 were Yotsuba’s thoughts, but I guess they were a continuation of the older girl?? Makes sense! I still get confused by that since I am so new to Manga…

2 Likes