Beyond Sleepy’s (pillow fort?) study log

That does clear it up.

This does basically support “particularly” if the deviation from the ordinary is being emphasized, which is I feel it is with “particularly” but not quite as much with “considerably.” “Enough to be considered” vs. “enough to be considered particular.” If that makes sense. But my takeaway from your dictionary quote is that I should be satisfied with “particularly” if I’m still stuck on that word after this conversation, and let any loss of nuance sort itself out through immersion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah I totally agree with that. On those sorts of meanings I like to play fairly loose and assume it’ll get more and more intuitive over time. If I got the general concept, pass (I’m fairly strict on readings but that’s not relevant to this word).

…I’ll get back to you in several years to let you know if I was right!

1 Like

I don’t worry too much about readings in Anki at the moment as I have Wanikani for that. If I get the meaning but can’t remember the correct reading then I pass the item since for most of them I’ll both get a lot of exposure through media and Wanikani will introduce and reinforce the readings of the kanji eventually.

My experience with English says that in the contexts of the genres you consume you’ll develop better and better intuition for a lot of words, but going from only input to interacting in a language will force you to refine your understanding of a lot of words you thought you already had a good understanding of :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Mmhmm, that’s valid. We’re coming from different angles on that whole process since I’m mining my own words now and only grabbing words I’ve already learned the kanji for or with kanji WK never teaches at all, so in my cause it’s either a form of further review of those readings applied to new words, honing in on a bunch of different readings than I was taught, or learning new stuff altogether. I agree it’s not worth you focusing on until a later time.

Yeah that makes sense. This is my first time learning a foreign language and while I think I’m making a pretty good go at it, a lot of it is still rather overwhelming and hazy. And output is hard enough work and not something I care as much about as the understanding side so I’m kicking that to the far future. Hoping by that point I can do what some others have talked about and be largely at a stage where I can self correct, but we’ll see. Despite what I have learned, there are so many areas where I can still understand next to nothing so… one step at a time.

3 Likes

:four_leaf_clover::cherry_blossom::four_leaf_clover:

よつばと!vol1, cha4, pp140-142 🍀

——— 140 ———

あ、えなだ!えなー

Ah, it’s Ena! Eeena

こんにちは…

Hi…

でか‼︎

Huge!!

——— 141 ———

あ、す、すみませんおおきいですね…

A e excuse me, you’re big

がおーっ

GAOO!!!

だいじょーぶだ!ジャンボはこわくないぞ!

It’s alright! Jumbo isn’t scary!

ごめんよー

I’m sorry

ばかやろう

You idiot

——— 142 ———

お母さん!お母さーん!

Mom! Moom!

い、今ね!玄関にすっごくおっきな…!!

R right now! At the entrance a really big…

あ、恵那も見た?

Ah, you saw (him) too Ena?

ジャンボさん|武田さん|きりんさん

Jumbo|Takeda|Giraffe

なによきりんって

Hey why did you say giraffe

先祖がきりんなんだって

Because he said his ancestors were giraffes

でも、がおーって言ってた

But, he said gaoo

がおー?

Gaoo?

——— end ———

\huge{がおー!}

5 Likes

I really thought spring had come early this year as we had as much as 14°C a few weeks ago and it stayed warm for a while, but… I went for a long walk today suspecting no mischief when the weather suddenly turned and

⛄️❄️🌨❄️⛄️

well, I got rather cold and tired :yawning_face: so one page was all I had the energy for. I’m going to bed early today, with a good conscience, having done the bare minimum of studying Japanese. I just want to avoid getting a cold from this :upside_down_face:

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp144 🍀

——— 144 ———

よつばー、はやくしろーおいてくぞー

Yotsuba! Hurry up (or) I’ll leave you behind

こんにちはー

Hello

あ、美少女の風香ちゃん

Ah, the beautiful young woman Fuuka

それやめて下さい

Please stop that

これ昨日渡すの忘れてました

I forgot to give you this yesterday

ん、ああ、テレビのリモコン

Huh? Ah, the tv’s remote

ありがとう美…

Thank you beau…

おまたせた

I’ve kept you waiting

——— End ———

5 Likes

The snowbeard picture is gold :joy:

4 Likes

Stay safe out there!

Imgur

4 Likes

Another one pager, I guess doing literally nothing besides studying (uni + Japanese) every day is a tad exhausting :confused: But I’m not really willing to make compromises in either direction so here I am :sweat_smile:

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp145 🍀

——— 145 ———

ちょっと置いてくる

One moment, (I have to) put (this inside)

よつばちゃんおでかけ?

Are you going somewhere Yotsuba?

おかいもの‼︎

Shopping!!

そこにおっきーおみせがあるってとーちゃんがいった、あぱーと!

Over there there’s a huge store, dad said, an apartment store!

でぱーとね

It’s “department store” you know?

とーちゃんはやくしろー、おいてくぞー

Dad hurry up or I’ll leave you behind

しゅっぱーつ!

Let’s go!

よつば、そっちじゃないこっちだ

Yotsuba, it’s not over there, it’s this way

——— end ———

6 Likes

So, I’m not going at a great pace in terms of mass immersion. The thing is, reading (よつばと) doesn’t take much energy (comparatively), it’s transcribing and translating that does. If I don’t care about the nuances of meaning I can read and get the gist at a decent enough clip. However, the translation process forces me to pay attention to grammar and nuance which I think is helpful for learning the language. Conclusion: I should read something else in parallel without putting undue effort into grammar and vocab lookups. I’m considering Satori Reader but I’ll take any suggestions:)

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp146-148 🍀

——— 146 ———

とーちゃんちゃんとみちしってるか?

Dad, are you sure you know the way (do you have sufficient knowledge of the route - Yotsuba😛)

んーたぶんこっちだ

Yeah, it’s probably this way

とーちゃんまいごになるぞ、なくなよ

Dad, I’ll become a lost child, I’ll cry

ならねーよ泣かねーし

You won’t become (lost), and you won’t cry either

とーちゃん超強いからな

Because dad is super strong!

わん

Woof

うひゃあ

Uhyaa!

——— 147 ———

びびったぜー

I was startled

わるいいぬだ‼︎

It’s a bad dog!!

戦わなくていい

It’s best not to fight (the dog)

かいだん

Stairs

Yes

——— 148 ———

上は神社だな

There’s a shrine up top.

じんじゃ⁉︎

A shrine!?

まつりか⁉︎

Festival!?

そーそーお店の出る所だ

That’s right, shops appear there (when there’s a festival :sweat_smile:)

ああ‼︎今日はない‼︎祭りない‼︎

Ah!! Not today!! There’s no festival!!

祭りの時は行こうな

Let’s go when there is a festival

うん!

Yes!

たべものやさん

A restaurant

ハラへってのか?

Are you hungry?

んーもうちょっとへってないかな

Hmm, I wonder if I’m not a little hungry? (へってない, not decreased? What’s going on here, I’m very doubtful of my translation:p)

——— End ———

4 Likes

Although it may sound otherwise when putting まいご into a Japanese to English dictionary, she’s actually telling her father that he’ll get lost. なく+な is Yotsuba telling him not to cry (when he gets lost).

From this, you might be able to re-figure on his response =)

There are generally two ways of saying you’re hungry in Japanese. お(なか)()いた (the more polite version) and (はら)()った. (And both are so commonly used that you’ll hear them with the が dropped.)

In my experience, they’ll both typically stated past-tense (ending in た) to state that one’s stomach has completed the action of becoming empty (()く, to get empty) or decreasing (()る, to decrease). But they can be used non-past depending on the situation, of course.

Yotsuba’s father asks if her stomach is ()っている (decreasing, meaning she’s getting hungry).

Yotsuba replies that she wonders her stomach ()ってない (can’t decrease) ちょっと (a bit). That is to say, upon checking it, she thinks her stomach has a bit more room to decrease, meaning she doesn’t need to eat just yet. “I wonder if it can’t decrease a bit.” (Not a perfect translation, but kind of the gist of it.)

3 Likes

I was pretty uncertain about that part, thanks for explaining it :slightly_smiling_face:

Aha, it’s a verb not an adjective so it’s are you getting hungry rather than are you hungry (in which case he’d have used past tense🙃). I knew about 腹減った for expressing hunger, but my mind created a false equivalence between the two languages and I forgot it was a verb and thus to even consider verb-conjunction when reading this part:p And then I got confused about it when I reached this part:

Massive thanks for your explanation :four_leaf_clover::man_bowing::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

TBH, I think Satori Reader is super-efficient* (since they did the Vocabulary and grammar look ups already). So it’s “the easy button to push” to add additional reading (and listening comprehension!) practice into a busy study schedule and very busy life. It’s my “go to”.

Another option: I’ve found, in reading online with friends, that watanoc.com is substantially similar, but with translation into more other non-English languages from the Japanese.

By the way…I agree with you 100% that writing out the sentence interpretations takes a LOT of extra time (instead of merely reading), but that it helps a person learn better. AND… I benefit from reading your blog because of this (and why I love reading clubs, even though I’ve been super inactive this past year).

OMG it’s horrible trying to put all-hiragana into a machine translator and have it make sense! I’m only finally getting more to where I can understand sentences without kanji (seeing kanji ina sentence makes it easier to distinguish verbs and nouns)…

I just learned the addition of 超 (ちょう super- (prefix)), and boop! There it was in your example Yotsuba sentence! :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the input:) Satori has a sale going now to benefit Ukrainians affected by the war so I’ll probably go with that (the sale ends on the 20th, I’ll probably buy the subscription on the 13th).

I had a bit of a day yesterday so I didn’t update but I did read and translate, so here’s 11 pages:p

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp149-159 🍀

——— 149 ———

あかはとまれ

Red means stop

うん

Yes

あれだ

That’s it

おおー⁉︎でけーなおい!!

Ooh-!? It’s huge look!!

よつばこんな大きいお店初めてだろ

It’s the first time I’ve (seen) a store this big

くにがつくったのか⁉︎

Did the country make it!?

え…?民間だけど

Eh…? It’s private but

え?

Eh?

——— 150 ———

なんだー⁉︎どーしたー⁉︎えーと!あれ!あれだー‼︎

Whaaat!? How!! Um! That! That’s!!

エスカレーターだ、それで上だー

It’s an escalator, that one goes up (up上 by means of で that one それ, I guess?)

ういーん

(Probably just a sound?)

——— 151 ———

あ、あっちはしただ!

Ah, that’s below (??, What a weird thing to say, I’m guessing she just noticed that where she was is now below her)

コラーよつばー

Oooi Yotsubaa

え?

Eh?

バカか!危ねえなぁ‼︎

Are you stupid!? That’s dangerous you know!!

いたぁー

Ouch

ホントに頭打つヤツなんて初めて見たよ

It’s (truly??) the first time I’ve seen someone hit their head like that(??) (This one really threw me, I had to use DeepL to get the gist of it: “I’ve never seen anyone really hit their head,” I’m not sure if what I’ve come up with is close to correct tho)

——— 152 ———

おおー!いっぱいあるぞー‼︎もー‼︎もー‼︎

Ooh! It’s filled (with stuff)!! More more(??)!!

あ、これも買おうかなぁ

Ah, I might (have to) buy this as well

でてきなさい

Get out

——— 153 ———

カーテンだ

Curtains

200センチの

200 cm

こっちかなぁー

Maybe this

:point_left:あっちみてくる

(Can I) go look over there

んー

Yes

とーちゃーん

Daad

——— 154 ———

ひぎっ‼︎

(Exclamation)

あぶなかったー

That was dangerous

これは乗っちゃだめ

It’s bad if you ride these

あー

Aa

——— 155 ———

おとなしく見てなさい

Look calmly

うん!

Yes

はしるなー

Don’t run

なんだこれ、なんだこら、なんだこれ

What’s this, What’s this, What’s this

あははは、なんだこれ、なんだこれ、なんだこれー

Ahahaha, What’s this, What’s this, What’s thiiis

——— 156 ———

ギャーッ

Gyaaっ

よつば大声だすな

Don’t shout Yotsuba

あ、あっちにこわいのが

O overt there there’s something scary (I’m fronting “over there” to stay closer to the original text)

こわいの?どれ?

Something scary? Which thing?

——— 157 ———

鳥よけの風船?

A bird repelling balloon?

なんだ?こらが怖いのか?おまえ鳥か?

What? This is what’s scary? Are you a bird?

ほーら

Look

ギャー

Gyaa

ほらほらー

Look look

ギャーッ‼︎

Gyaaっ

他のお客様の御迷惑になりますので

You’re being a nuisance to other customers

どうもすみません

I’m so sorry

——— 158 ———

1,800円か2,500円…んー…

1,800 yen or 2,500 yen… hmm…

ふむ

Hm

うーん

Hmmmm

——— 159 ———

ありがとうございました

Thank you

よつばー、あれ?どこ行った?

Yotsuba- what? Where did she go?

あはは、かわいーみてみて

Ahaha, cute, come see

あははは

Ahahaha

——— end ———

5 Likes

Wow you’re breezing through the story at a nice pace now!

Yeah Yotsuba being an adorable child like always. Man I just love her.

You got it already but I think a breakdown might help. We go from the back
初めて 見たよ → The first time seen!
What was the first time seen; it was
頭(を)打つ ヤツ なんて → (Such a thing as) guy/gal who hits the head. なんて is hard to translate but you can think of it as negative exclamation thing here. I substituted the (such a thing as) for it.
ほんとに → Really/Truly.

All in all something along the lines of:
Really/Truly, it’s the first time I’ve seen (such a thing as) a gal who hits her head.

Which is basically 1to1 what you wrote in your translation. The deepl translation is making a more liberal translation and taking “the first time seen” to “never seen” but gets the point across too.

What I find funny the 頭を打つやつ is not specifying which head is hit. It’s just context that it is her own head she hit XD

4 Likes

It did help, thanks :pray::grin: It didn’t seem that logical before the breakdown even tho I had all the elements. I think my expectations for what one says to a child after they hurt themselves contributed to my confusion (I expected to break it down into something like “You really hit your head huh, let me look at that first” or something) :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

To be fair seeing how yotsuba behaves normally and how unphased she seems by hitting her head I can’t fault him much. I still distinctly remember her climbing up a street light pole to imitate being a セミ in the first chapter o_O. And don’t get me started on her first time on the ブランコ ^^.

1 Like

Yeah, thinking about it I was the same when I was her age some 20+ years ago and my parents had roughly Koiwai’s (Kowai’s?) attitude:p So no judgment from me :upside_down_face:

I think she’s seeing the down elevator (but I could be wrong). Sounds to me like she’s contrasting that one to this one that she’s on.

2 Likes

11 pages again, but I’ve done literally nothing else productive besides Wanikani and Anki :sweat_smile:

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp160-170 🍀

——— 160 ———

おもしろかったなー

That was fun~

お!そーだ

Oh! That’s right

ラーメン食ってこう

Let’s eat ramen

おー

Oh

——— 161 ———

うまいか?

Is it good?

うん!

Yes!

らーらーらーめん

Ra-Ra-Rasputin~

ながいぞーうまいよー

So long and good~

だまってくえ

Quiet down

おじょーちゃんたまごおまけだ

I’ll give the young lady a free egg

やった

Yay

——— 162 ———

うまかったなー

That was delicious

おまけもらったしな

And you got it for free too

おまけーおまけーたまごがでてきてさーたいへーん

Free~ free~ egg come tooo meee (I’m just guessing here)

じんじゃみる

I’ll look at the temple!

ええ⁉︎

Wha!?

——— 163 ———

し、しんどいぞー

I- I’m tired

へいきだ

That’s okay :+1:

よーいどん!

Ready set go!

——— 164 ———

まけたー

I lost

どーだ、とーちゃん速いだろう

How’s that, dad is fast right

やっぱりとーちゃんはすげー‼︎

As expected dad is amazing!!

——— 165 ———

よつば

Yotsuba

おー

Ohh

——— 166 ———

すげー!ぜんぶみえる!

Amazing! I can see it all!

——— 167 ———

そーだなぁ…ぜんぶ?

Right?… it all?

あ、よつばんち!

A- my house!

——— 168 ———

家はあっちだ

Our house is that way

——— 169 ———

よし!

Alright!

復活!

Resurrection!

今度はしたまで競走だー

This time we’ll race down

勝った方はアイスクリーム‼︎

The winner gets ice cream!!

ずるいぞ‼︎

Unfair!!

——— 170 ———

アイスクリーム

Ice cream

あーわかった、わかった

Ah- I know, I know

その辺で買おう

Let’s buy it in that area

やったー‼︎

Yay!!

とーぢゃんもアイス食おう

I’ll eat ice cream as well

だめだ!とーちゃんまけたのにだめだー‼︎

That’s wrong!! You lost so you shouldn’t!!

じゃあよつばのわけてくれ

Then please share with me Yotsuba

あ、あー

A- ahh

——— end ———

3 Likes