Better mnemonic for ぎょう?

Haha, yeah, it only gets worse as you level up.

Yeah, it’s obvious they’ve put a lot of work into, and you can see that even with a team working on it there are always going to be some inconsistencies some where.

Whatever you end up using, just remember that it has to be something that you can use in multiple situations since ぎょう is one of the more common readings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second the opinion that you should just go and eat some Gyoza.

You can buy premade ones in stores in Germany and I’m pretty sure they’re called Gyoza too on the label.

2 Likes

Yes, they are labeled as Gyoza and every supermarket near me sells them (living in Cologne). So at first I was a bit confused that people might not know what they are because here you can’t escape them. But on the other hand a lot of people (like my parents) probably buy them at the Aldi near their village and don’t care what these Asian Maultaschen are called. :blush::v:

3 Likes

I had trouble with ぎょう too, until I watched an episode of Cool Japan all about Gyoza. Now I notice them in the スーパー, and in our Asian stores. As a pasta addict, the word stays with me now.

Also, when I first started here, I had never heard of Tofugu or Koichi. So the Koichi mnemonics completely confused me.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner, 餃子 and 炒飯

8 Likes

Thanks for the link - will definitely help.

Looks delicious! Bon appetit!

Funny thing: after starting this thread and all the talk… this thread and dumplings are starting to burn into my head, lol. Thanks!

7 Likes

But have you seen Gordon Ramsay in Poland or Chile, like in person?

I recommend trying pierogis with ポン酢 or 醤油. You can even try adding ラー油, からし,vinegar…there are a bunch of gyoza condiments I find very compatible with pierogis.

In person - no, but I’m fairly familiar with him.

Yeah, pierogis/dumplings are very versatile. Though 醤油 wouldn’t cross my mind ^__^"

1 Like

I just Yomichan’d the first word, because I’ve never conciously seen the Kanji for Gyoza… Boy, THIS is what Americans call “pot stickers”? I thought that was something on a stick hahahahahahaha.

This! Someone feels my pain. A kindred spirit!!!

1 Like

If you’re learning the Japanese language, it should follow logically that you familiarise yourself with other aspects of Japanese culture as well. You don’t have to learn all the names of former emperors of Japan, but such common things like gyoza, natto, wasabi, oyakodon, takoyaki, okonomiyaki etc. should be in your vocabulary. These are things you’ll find at every corner in Tokyo, not some exotic knowledge.

1 Like

I’ll repeat it once more. I’m fully aware of that and I support that. BUT. If you are just starting and have not great background knowledge using it as mnemonics simply DOES NOT work…

Hm… potstickers that don’t stick? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok, horrible puns aside… I wish I had something better to offer, but I somehow or other just remember it using the kanji and some anime scenes. It’s something with a human shape which isn’t human, so it’s a doll. That aside… uh… I somehow or other just hear some rather creepy voice going, ‘Ningyoooooou…’ I don’t like scary mnemonics, but I have a feeling my memory of this word is linked to all the times I’ve seen dolls moving on their own in various anime + some rather intense scene from Darling in the FranXX (another anime) involving the female protagonist’s desire to be fully human. Maybe she compared herself to a doll/puppet at some point. I can’t remember.

Another way might be to remember that it’s not にんけい (which is what you might expect) since it doesn’t really mean ‘human shape’ and that G is the voiced version of K, so instead of ‘nink…’, you have ‘ning…’.

Sorry, I guess I’m not really helping… I managed to learn the word without a mnemonic, and I don’t see a good one… maybe just seeing ‘ningyou’ used a few times in a context that matters to you will help it stick better?

I’m so jealous…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.