Better mnemonic for ぎょう?

I’m trying to learn 人形 and WK suggests “made totally of gyoza (ぎょう) dumplings” which completely doesn’t stick (most likely because of no prior knowledge of those dumplings). I tried to think about alternatives for that sound but without much luck. Does anyone have something that’s not “gyoza dumpling”? ^__^"

3 Likes

You should eat gyoza at least once a week, like me, and you won’t have trouble remembering gyoza. :wink:

But seriously though, do you just use a different word? They’re basically only called gyoza in a Japanese setting, but they are popular in many cultures. My family back in America would probably not recognize the word gyoza, but would understand “potstickers.”

9 Likes

Or dumplings in general. They’re delicious. Though, personally, I prefer マンドゥ, especially of the pan-fried variety.

As for the question, mnnno. You could make up a fake Gyordon Ramsey, I suppose. He refuses to serve anything but Gyoza-related dishes.

2 Likes

I suppose, sure. I just happen to live about 2 minutes from a Gyoza no Oushou. So grabbing it to-go after getting off the train is super simple.

1 Like

I’m guessing OP (and me for that matter) are not quite that lucky. I, for what it’s worth, live about 5 minutes from a Chinese restaurant ran by Vietnamese immigrants serving knockoff wonton. Granted, this does let me dream of gyoza, but if I didn’t have any prior experience, I probably wouldn’t.

2 Likes

In the UK you can get gyoza in most pubs that also do food not just Japanese and Japanese fusion.

People always order them, calling them guy-OH-zahs

But I think WK assume that its users either have a foundation of interest in Japanese culture or will look up things up in their mnemonics. Kind of like using Tokyo for tou and Kyoto for kyo.

If you’re struggling with remembering gyoza try and get some from your local Chinese supermarket. :dumpling:

So, the tough part is that you have to differentiate it from “go” for ぎょ and Grandpa ごういち for ごう, although WK isn’t too consistent when the latter also has the ぎょう reading, which is often the case.

I suppose you could have ぎょう be a drunk grandpa ごういち slurring his name.

Or just wait until you get to 業 at level 10, which has a ton of vocab that will pretty much cement the reading. :wink:

2 Likes

I can feel you on that one… I also didn’t know about gyoza (and I just needed to look up the word dumpling in a dictionary as well). I acutally only remembered 人形 because I stumbled across it in some anime…

I don’t think it’s fair to say, just look up what gyoza are. It’s true that a mnemonic can be really useful for some, and for others it’s just even more new information to remember.

I’m looking at you, you stupid 酒… I already forgot again what on earth a “chute” was, and chute really looks like ちゅ to me and not like しゅ and I got you wrong so often

So another mnemonic is necessary, it’s not possible for the WK team to formulate mnemonics that everyone can always remember… I like @alo 's idea for ぎょう

3 Likes

Thank you for all the comments! ^__^"

Food wise: I’m a Pole and I think Poland is one of the most known (or even the most known?) for dumplings (pierogi!!! :wink: ) but gyoza is a complete novelty to me. I haven’t seen it in Poland (though I lived in rather smaller cities) and now I’m in Chile, where food variety is also so-so (and also, quite popular here is “sushi fusion” which is chicken with avocado rolled in rice fried in deep oil so that’s that when it comes to original dishes :wink: )

I did look up gyoza when I first ran into it but given it’s something novel (and I lack familiarity with it) it’s not that useful as a mnemonic hence my quest for some other words that sounds similar but would be known to me (funny side note, for to see [見る] I’m using “mirar” which means… “to see” in spanish ^__^")

For now @finnra’s Gyordon Ramsey seems to kinda fit and sticks in my mind - thanks! I’ll mentally experiment with @alo’s grampa as well.

7 Likes

I have no idea which “most pubs” you’re going to! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen gyoza done in a pub here?! :joy:

3 Likes

Hmm. Maybe try ‘Gee! Oh! I forgot!’

Gyou - Gee! Oh!

1 Like

I think this would clash (in my head) with じ (there was “gee, two days” ~ じつ from https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/日)

2 Likes

Hmm. Yes, those associations can be annoying and confusing. I get that a lot already.

How about when pumping yourself up to remember and you tell yourself ‘go, you!, you can do it!’

Gyou - Go you.

Sound wise it may not be the same. Looks wise, maybe.

Even without that, “gee oh” would make me think of じょう.

1 Like

They are using it for fish (https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/魚) already :wink: It’s kinda similar, but we run into same problem as with Kyoto (きょ vs きょう, but in this case WK came up with smart “little Kyoto”). I’m not pondering how to repurpose it and add distinction like with Kyoto :thinking:

Really?? I see them all over the north and I’m sure spoons had them on the menu for a while.

They’re especially common in the studenty type pubs.

darnit.

But, yes, I can see how that is starting to happen even at 03 Level here.

I’m inclined to suggest that maybe try putting it in your mind without a mnemonic. I’ve had to do that with a few (‘Power’ kanji was awful. I just couldn’t get it). Then on repetition it starts sticking better.

What about Geodude? Not a perfect fit, but close enough in my book :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s one way of doing it, but… as WK showed me - finding good mnemonics is way better. Even if you lapse on something you can dig the mental image to retrieve it. With brute-force method this doesn’t work all that well (I do wish schools would teach how to learn and introduce mnemonics instead of promoting cramming, sigh). WK is for me, most of the time, quite “effortless”. And on couple of occassions where I tried to learn kanji/vocabulary without proper visualisation it just bit me in the back after a while. So now I put more effort during learning stage so reviews are easier down the line.

Hmm, that could work as well - thanks ^__^"

1 Like

Ah okay. Each to their own. For me sometimes mnemonics can get crossed over, too! Annoyingly! It’s usually a mix though.

1 Like