[Beginner non-staff activity] 日常の日記

Oh well if it’s not colloquial I won’t use it then. Was trying to find an alternative to だから.

1 Like

I suspect it’s formal/rare when used alone, though it’s definitely not wrong, and like I said, there had to be a full stop because it always starts a sentence. However, it’s probably more common to see it as 〜にしたがって. (PS: if anyone has information to the contrary, please correct me. Thanks. Everything I’m saying is based on my experience with Japanese so far, which is quite limited. I didn’t research this word much.)

2 Likes

Ore wa jyuunen Nihon ni sunda koto ga aru demo kanji wa amari yomuani desu. Kanji wo yomunai koto wa Fuben no koto dayou. Wanikani wa kono mondai muki ni chodo ii mono desu yo. Kanshin shita! Mitsukata ga yokkata! Ima level 5 ni natte. Kore kara gambare masu.

Hello @hayneda!

Could you write this in kana/kanji pretty please?

3 Likes

June 4th entry:

これは犬です。名前がミヤです。かわいすぎるですね!

Mia

:thought_balloon: I feel like there are too many です in the sentences, could I have made my three sentences as one to avoid this? I’ve seldom seen really short Japanese sentences too so it might not be a usual approach.

1 Like

したがって requires that what follows is a natural consequence of what came before. Adults can make snowmen if they want, so it’s not possible to use したがって in that way.

And yes, in addition to that, it is relatively stiff language.

Here’s a thesaurus entry for だから, したがって, よって, and ゆえに

2 Likes

俺は十年日本に住んだことがあるでも漢字はあんまり読むないです。漢字を読むないことは不便のことだよ。ワニカニはこの問題むきに丁度いい物ですよ。感心した!見つかったが良かった!今ご5面になって。これから頑張ます。I think that should be the kanjified version of it (nothing was corrected from the original text apart from the かった and level 5 that I hope I put the appropriate counter for).

3 Likes

I’m not completely sure how 面 is used in Japanese, but from what I understand (and based on how it’s used in Chinese), it usually refers to a flat surface or something similar (e.g. someone’s face, a face of a polyhedron…). I think 面 means ‘level’ in the sense of ‘area/domain’ (e.g. on the economic level=in the economic domain/from the economic perspective). I think ‘level 5’ should be レベル5 or 5級.

Does anyone else know whether むき (probably written as 向き) is used this way? I was thinking of 問題に 対して・応じて (taishite/oujite) instead of むきに, but it might just be that I’ve never seen this structure before.

2 Likes

Thanks!

俺は十年日本に住んだことがあるでも漢字はあんまり読むないです。漢字を読むないことは不便のことだよ。ワニカニはこの問題むきに丁度いい物ですよ。感心した!見つかったが良かった!今ご5面になって。これから頑張ます。

:speech_balloon: “I have lived in Japan for 10 years but I have trouble reading kanji. Not reading kanji is inconvenient. Wanikani is a good thing for this problem. I was impressed. I found it to be excellent. I’m level 5 now. I’m improving.”

Not sure about the last sentence…

1 Like

I found by looking it up on Jisho.org that it could mean level/stage in a video game, that’s what I’m basing it off.

I would’ve put ワニカニはこの問題にはピッタリです! if I was that excited about it or ワニカニはこの問題にはけっこう相応しいです。if I wanted to be a bit humbler about it. Not sure about the grammar tho, been a bit since I last wrote in Japanese

edit:

I’m not sure but either could be something like “Let’s do our best”, but it would be more appropriate imo to say “これから頑張りましょう!” or “I’m doing my best/hanging on” which I would translate to [俺は[今]]頑張っています。 (I put brackets around things I don’t think are necessary, especially in the context where this sentence is at the end of a paragraph).

1 Like

What does:
これから頑張ます
Means? Is it a typo? I get:

@Alkivia
Sorry, missed your edit.

頑張ります = “I’m persevering”

1 Like

It should be 頑張ります

2 Likes

Exactly, the り got deleted by mistake sometime when I was reviewing my sentence, sorry!

2 Likes

In my sentence for today, I didn’t write “私の犬”, I figured in the context it was obvious it was my dog. Was I right?

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the に is necessary here: 三時間日本語を勉強します。

In the first sentence (Everyday, I get up at 5:30 AM), に is appropriate since you are indicating the specific time of an action. However, when saying how long something takes, or how long you did something for, I don’t believe we use に.

I am upper beginner-low intermediate myself though, so I may be mistaken. Either way, the sentence is totally readable!

4 Likes

Ah, I see. Never seen it used that way. Even in anime that are based on games or game worlds, the word is usually レベル. However, perhaps Jisho is right, it’s just that I haven’t had the right context yet.

I think the second は isn’t necessary, but grammatically it seems fine. My friend said ワニカニはこの問題に丁度いい物ですよ。would probably be just fine, which I agree with, now that I think about it.

I’d say it’s more like ‘I’ll do my best/keep working hard from here on in.’

No, I think you’re completely right. Numbers in Japanese that express how something is done (e.g. duration, amount of money, length…) usually come with no particles. Well spotted!

1 Like

頑張ります = ganbarimasu - ‘do one’s best’ among other translations (in this context, probably “I’ll do my best or we’ll do our best, etc.”)

I don’t often see the kanji for it but I’ve seen it enough here and there to recognize it now.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ve made the necessary correction to the first message.

Could someone confirm that my sentence for today is ok?

@hayneda. I apologise on behalf of my friend @Zizka. He likes characters much more than romanji! It should be OK to put romanji on this thread (?) I don’t like romanji myself (1 year learning Japanese), but I’m trying to get a SPEAKING understanding of Japanese, so I try not to “cheat” sometimes by understanding at the kanji level (it’s easier!).

His request (that you please write in kanji) is quite funny given your first two sentences that he didn’t read in romanji form!! I just speak into Google translate and choose the right kanji from there, but to do yours today, I typed hirigana input into Google translate based on your romanji. Being a beginner, I probably got some of what you had said incorrect!! 頑張って!

Hayneda said:
オレは十年日本に住んだことがあるでも漢字はあまり読むないです。漢字読むないことは不便のことだよう。Wanikani はこの問題向きにちょどいいですよ。関心した!見つかったが良かった!今レベル5なって。これから頑張れます。

I just saw that @Alkivia already did this. Now I can compare ours! (And read your guys’ comments about Kawameki’s)

I noticed that you WaniKani people use あんまり where DuoLingo taught us あまりfor “not very much”. Hayneda also said あまり.

Also, I’m wondering whether he meant 感心した!(I was impressed) or. 関心した! (I was interested). I think 感心 now. It might be like the three ways to say round, all まる, but either 丸 or 円. I would say interested and impressed are similar in meaning.

2 Likes

From what i’ve read あんまり is more casual and conversational than the other form, but they are completely equivalent meaning-wise

3 Likes