Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

That’s right. Aria does mostly reintroduce characters for readers like you who picked it up without knowing about Aqua, but it’s still a shame to miss the true beginning. Be sure to check out all the information in the home thread – especially the schedule, since occasionally chapters were moved around.

1 Like

wowow!

Quite the haul :grin: I keep forgetting to check out the real-life JP bookshops in London when I’m there…

I’d be interested to know what キッチン is like when you get round to reading it.

What are these “real life” Japanese book stores you speak of
a tumbleweed rolls past

7 Likes

Just googled that book store. Looks massive! I’ll have to give it a visit when I’m next in London in a few weeks

1 Like

I don’t have anything like that near me. :cry:

7 Likes

… and because I am in a book buying frenzy, I have ordered the Vol1 of the Masterpiece collection, which should be here in 2-3 weeks. So I can get on and read some of the others in the meantime.

Thank you for the pointer, or I would have got very confused :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not sure I’d describe it as near me :joy:

It is 140 miles for me. The only reason I got to go was because work were paying for the train ticket as I had a meeting nearby.

2 Likes

Looking at the photo again, the first thing I am going to have to do is learn which way up it goes :wink:

The text is quite dense, so I think it is going to be a few books down my reading list, but it will be something to work my way up to.

2 Likes

Ahaha, I figured it was an artistic choice :wink:

Cool! I definitely have easier things to try tackling first.

1 Like

I googled “Porepore Nikki” (one of the nominees), and it’s so not a thing in English that the second result was Floflo and the third result was Floflo’s Patreon. Also, two other results on the first page were this thread, one of which was:

image image image

Sorry Radish!

10 Likes

omg hahahaha :joy: and here, you can see the radish slowly spiralling into madness…

Does anybody actually know what ポレポレ means in that title?!

3 Likes

It’s from the swahili word polepole, which means “slowly”, according to the book itself.

2 Likes

From Wikipedia:
スワヒリ語で「ゆっくり」を意味する言葉

3 Likes

Hah, I was just about to say “maybe you’ve gotta read the book to find out”.

1 Like

:thinking: interesting! Maybe it makes more sense to leave it as is, then…

Looking up polepole nikki, I get results about the PolePole Foundation, which has a Nikki Jones as advisor :rofl:

3 Likes

I totally did exactly the same :grin:

@seanblue I’ve tried to make it easier for people to judge whether this book club is right for them from the OP, but let me know if you’d like me to revert the changes. It’s made it a bit longer overall.

Or indeed anyone else who has thoughts!

2 Likes

You deleted fhe link and explanation I made about the Absolute Beginner book club. :joy:

I also don’t see the point of all the “Pick X” stuff for previous books. It just takes up extra space (especially on my phone).

Oops :stuck_out_tongue: I did not mean to delete that line.

No problem, will axe those.

To be honest, I’m feeling more confused about the distinction with the Absolute Beginner Club now anyway, so I’m not sure I could explain the difference very well :upside_down_face: