Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I would very much like to join the beginner club if at all possible? I’m not sure how to go about it!

1 Like

I’ve been looking forward to the poll as well, but I think I might have to wait until tomorrow due to my timezone :frowning:
I have no clue about the rest, but I feel like 時をかける少女 is probably a firm candidate.

@Kittysaurus I don’t think you have to do anything in particular, just read the books and participate in the threads once they are created. Welcome!

3 Likes

Don’t worry, the poll will still be waiting for you tomorrow. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will the poll be in the first post?
Also, I have to look into the template for suggesting books, cause I want to suggest Mushi-shi! :blush:

Make sure to read the nomination guidelines as well. :slight_smile:

The poll will be right below this and linked to in the first post.

1 Like

Poll for the next book is here!

Please see the List of Proposed Books section in the first post for the details for each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on book club member voting) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “impossible, even with everyone’s help”. Please consider the difficulty when voting and you can check the first post for links to sample pages so you can gauge difficulty for yourself.

We will most likely begin reading on November 17th, one week after we finish reading 夏目友人帳. Like last time, if a short manga wins first place, we will also read the second place winner right afterward.

I will close the poll within a week, whenever it looks like voting has dried up. You can choose as many options as you want. The difficulty based on the book club member voting is next to each option in brackets.

• ご注文はうさぎですか (Is the Order a Rabbit?) [Manga] [3.36]
  • 絶叫学級 (Scary Lessons) [Book] [3.25]
  • 名探偵コナン (Great Detective Conan) [Manga] [3.33]
  • Dragonball The Complete Edition [Manga] [3.08]
  • トラちゃん [Book] [3.56]
  • しろくまカフェ (Shirokuma Cafe) [Manga] [2.47]
  • 放浪息子 (Wandering Son) [Manga] [3.44]
  • ポレポレ日記いざ流星学園へ![Book] [2.80]
  • 少女終末旅行 (Girls’ Last Tour) [Manga] [2.19]
  • 時をかける少女 (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) [Book] [3.31]
  • ゆるキャン (Laid-Back Camp) [Manga] [2.69]
  • キノの旅 (Kino’s Journey) [Light Novel] [3.36]
  • 日本昔ばなしアニメ絵本 18冊全巻セット (Japanese Fairy Tales - Set of 18 books) [Book Set] [2.00] (NO EBOOK)
  • チーズスイートホーム (Chi’s Sweet Home) [Manga] [2.00]
  • Naruto [Manga] [2.75]
  • ハイキュー!! Haikyuu!! [Manga] [2.57]

0 voters

3 Likes

@Kyasurin, you’re actually voting for トラちゃん this time?! :joy:

2 Likes

Man, I really hope Kino’s Journey doesn’t win. It’s too long, so it’s more likely to end up being another Kiki. Plus I don’t want to have to place an order on Amazon for just one book. :laughing:

I’m more bothered by the fact that it has about 1400 more unique words than Time Girl (no I can’t be bothered to type the full thing every time) :sweat_smile: though I got the impression from Nath it was more possible to dip in and out each chapter.

2 Likes

Yeah… I was thinking out this whole master plan where I read Kino’s Journey after one or two other books to build up to it. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yep, I’d probably like to read it eventually but I don’t think it is beginner club friendly at the moment. So many unique words.
And I’d already started flofloing 時をかける少女

6 Likes

This is interesting.

First book club poll

Second book club poll

Third book club poll

Poor 時をかける少女 has been in the top three for so long. :laughing:

2 Likes

Could someone clarify the beginner book club spoiler policy for me? It’s says “Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.”

Does that include the chapter actively being read? I assume it would only cover future chapters/volumes, adaptations (anime, plays, dramas), meta, etc but wanted to be sure since I’ll be starting 夏目 after work today.

Thanks~!

1 Like

Content within the chapter being read can be considered a spoiler. For example, you’d want to spoiler a major event or final moments of the chapter to not ruin it for others.

1 Like

Hehe, this time, it finally seems to be winning!

1 Like

Thanks! Previous chapters are free reign then? When we get to ch2 we can assume everyone has read ch1, for example?

Yes, previous chapters are free reign. In the chapter 2 discussion thread you can say anything about chapter 1.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:
I don’t want to jinx it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ll be definitely joining for the next book! Or maybe I’ll try to catch up with the one you’re reading now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re starting it tomorrow though :sweat_smile: (or today, depending on your time zone, I guess)

(If you’re referring to the one in the title when you say “the one you’re reading now”)