Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

Laid-Back Camp ・ ゆるキャン

Summary

Rin likes to go camping by herself along the lakes that provide a scenic view of Mt. Fuji. Nadeshiko is determined to see Mt. Fuji after just moving to the area. After they meet, Rin and Nadeshiko take camping trips, eat cup ramen together, and enjoy the scenery.

Availability

Amazon.jp
CDJapan eBooks
BookWalker

Personal Opinion

I’ve read the first two chapters and am really enjoying it, even though I’m reading it on my lonesome and there’s no furigana. So basically the language is very manageable; it’s definitely easier than のんのんびより, for example. I think it might therefore be a great option for people to have a go at reading something without furigana. It’s been really satisfying working out what some words mean from the kanji before I’ve even looked them up.

It’s a very chill little series and I find the art style pretty comical. Not gonna lie, you will learn a lot of camping terms :stuck_out_tongue:

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Language is not too difficult
  • No furigana - good practice
  • Shortish chapters (~24 pages) so not too much to tackle in one week
  • Only 6 chapters, so it’ll be short and sweet :blush:

Cons

• Lots of camping terms (not too technical; more like lots of words for ‘fire’ and stuff like ポール and ペグ)
  • No furigana - could make it tricky*
  • Another slice-of-life (but like, a really good one, so)

*I’m keeping a spreadsheet of vocabulary as I read (and making a kitsun deck to share!), so before we even start there’ll be at least two chapters of vocab sussed out and in the sheet.

Pictures

I’m not good at photography, k?

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

Also… this guy thinks you should read ゆるキャン :wink:

7 Likes